Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#61: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:22 pm
    ----
Very nice!

#62: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:24 pm
    ----
This is an example of those "details" shot I was talking about

Massimo

#63: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:52 pm
    ----
This one looks pretty good, even if I used the flash. Not all shots were this good, but I am still happy enough to keep going ahead.

Massimo

Last edited by Massimo_Foti on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

#64: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:28 am
    ----
No need to hurry, I am short of time too. I wish I could share some of my recent pictures taken in Full, but I am not done with files from Bovington yet; and I even have cool material from Burgdorf and Forte Bramafan (dating back from last summer!) that still require post-processing.

On top of that my trusted old laptop broke down, I've got no data loss, but it's still a time-consuming task to move to the new PC.

Massimo

#65: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:26 pm
    ----
The Quikpod worked well for me. I'll try and get some high level pics from the Overloon trip online (which may take a week or so), and then give details on the method I used. I'm just a bit short of time at the moment.

#66: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:10 pm
    ----
Last Saturday I shot a few hundreds pictures in Full with the new pole set-up. Vast majority were indoor, the Museum over there isn't especially dark, but it's still dark enough to require flash most of the times on a compact camera like Canon G12 (I can't push ISO above 200 on it without loosing quality too much).

I would split the kind of shots into two categories: "portraits" and "details".

1) PORTRAITS. A shot that try to frame the whole vehicle, with a perspective that just can't be achieved from ground level. The 60cm cable was fine for these. Still, I faced two problems:
a) It was hard for me to properly frame the subject looking at a small LCD screen a meter above my eyes, while zooming with my feet. The fact I am used to a DSLR's viewfinder doesn't help. I guess people used to compact camera and LCD screens may feel less pain.
b) The integrated flash sometimes isn't powerful enough. I should consider adding a small Canon 270 flash (it will also recharge faster, a positive side-effect). Hope its extra weight doesn't make too hard to balance the camera.

2) DETAILS
More close-up shots of details you don't clearly see from ground level. Turret roofs, top hatches and the like. Very cool on open-topped vehicles. Modellers will love these. Here the flash was okay (still slow recharging). Problems were:
a) Need a longer cable, 60cm is okay for a T-72, but in order to work on taller vehicles I have to raise the pole higher.
b) Using a flash at closer distances makes the images more "washed out". But I guess I can live with that.

I can easily see myself taking this equipment to Saumur and going crazy with all the german, open topped SPGs out there Laughing Laughing Laughing

In the meantime I should be able to try it out on Thun Panzermuseum later on, to see how it goes outdoor.

Massimo

PS Looking forward to hear from Trevor, since he is using different hardware

#67: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:55 am
    ----
I will try my monopod/G12 combo with Canon RS-60 wired remote soon. I am afraid the cable will be somewhat short. In that case I will look into Satechi for a longer cable or a radio alternative

Massimo

#68: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:18 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
I think it was me mentioning here that infrared require the camera's infrared sensor to be in the remote line-of-sight. That's not good most of the time.

I also read some negative reviews on Amazon.co.uk before deciding to order the wired version:

www.amazon.co.uk/produ...EPEXTZZBBO

- Massimo_Foti
Looks like Satechi has a good reputation and could offer some solutions to our needs:
www.satechi.net/satech...mp;sub=CAN

Thanks for the link. My Quik Pod has arrived so I'll try it with the wired remote in Holland and see how I get on.

#69: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:51 am
    ----
Looks like Satechi has a good reputation and could offer some solutions to our needs:
www.satechi.net/satech...AM&sub=CAN

Massimo

#70: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:58 pm
    ----
I think it was me mentioning here that infrared require the camera's infrared sensor to be in the remote line-of-sight. That's not good most of the time.

I know radio remotes exist, but I failed to find them on canon's website... Maybe they are available only from third-party?

I've just got a cable remote myself, because that's all Canon G12 supports.

I'll try to dig more and post here once I find something.

Massimo

#71: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:51 pm
    ----
I didn't know about radio ones, and had heard of problems with the IR ones. Do you have a link to a suitable radio one?

#72: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:32 pm
    ----
Any special reason to go for cable instead of radio, or just for budget?

Massimo

#73: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:27 pm
    ----
It's a 0.8m/2.0m cable one; I haven't tried it out yet.

#74: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:01 pm
    ----
The spare battery is a must have. What kind of remote have you got?

Massimo

#75: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:47 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
- TrevorLarkum
I'll also try to get a remote shutter release.

Avoid the infra-red remotes. The camera's infra-red sensor must be in your line of sight for them to work. Radio remotes are more flexible.

I am going to put my Canon G12 on a monopod and use it as a "pole". I don't feel like risking an heavy and expensive DSLR + lens combination, not yet at least. Unfortunately the G12 doesn't support radio remote, so a cable shutter is going to be my only option.

Looking forward to hear your feedback on the new camera. Maybe you could post it on the dedicated photography thread. Keep in mind those DSLRs are pretty sophisticated, if you want to get the best out of them you have to invest time learning/experimenting.

Massimo

I did the deed - I'm now the proud owner of a Canon EOS 600D. I haven't had much time to get acquainted with it yet, I'll post some conclusions once I've had a play. With a spare battery and remote shutter release it came to £800 so I'm hoping it lives up to its promise!

-> AFV News Discussion Board