Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#61: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:30 am
    ----
We discussed about tripods in the past. You can get far better pictures with them, but you get much less shots too because they are time consuming. Due to my modelling background I really love to take dozen of walkaround shots for each artifact; you just can't do that with a tripod Sad

Modern cameras keep improving low light and high ISO handling. That can help avoiding the tripod. But you have to be careful, find a good balance to avoid having too much noise in the pictures. Results may vary...

I am scheduled to travel to Bovington later today. It will be my first visit ever. I am not carrying a tripod with me. I'll let you know how it goes.

Massimo

#62: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:17 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti

I am scheduled to travel to Bovington later today. It will be my first visit ever.
Massimo

I didn't realise your trip was imminent. I started to mark up the locations of the tanks outside the museum, around Bovington Camp. Let me know if that would still be useful in time, and I'll work on it through this weekend.

#63: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:51 am
    ----
Massimo, I'm guessing that you're now at Bovington but don't have Internet access. I'm not sure how much help it will be to you, but I've started marking up the locations of solitary tanks around Bovington Camp. It's a bit of a walk to some of them. I've put up ATDU and the ones closest to the museum first:

Bovington Camp Solitary Vehicles

#64: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:02 am
    ----
I've also written up the tanks at Lulworth, a taxi ride due south from the museum:

Preserved Tanks at Lulworth

#65: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:14 am
    ----
I was indeed at Bovington without internet connection. I've took pictures of Challenger and Conqueror gateguardians at Stanley barracks. Then I've had a great time in the Museum (I'll open a dedicated thread)

Thanks anyway

Massimo

#66: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:20 pm
    ----
I'm glad you had a good time anyway!

#67: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:26 am
    ----
Panasonic GH-2's review:
www.dpreview.com/revie...nicdmcgh2/

Massimo

#68: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:47 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
- TrevorLarkum
I'll also try to get a remote shutter release.

Avoid the infra-red remotes. The camera's infra-red sensor must be in your line of sight for them to work. Radio remotes are more flexible.

I am going to put my Canon G12 on a monopod and use it as a "pole". I don't feel like risking an heavy and expensive DSLR + lens combination, not yet at least. Unfortunately the G12 doesn't support radio remote, so a cable shutter is going to be my only option.

Looking forward to hear your feedback on the new camera. Maybe you could post it on the dedicated photography thread. Keep in mind those DSLRs are pretty sophisticated, if you want to get the best out of them you have to invest time learning/experimenting.

Massimo

I did the deed - I'm now the proud owner of a Canon EOS 600D. I haven't had much time to get acquainted with it yet, I'll post some conclusions once I've had a play. With a spare battery and remote shutter release it came to £800 so I'm hoping it lives up to its promise!

#69: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:01 pm
    ----
The spare battery is a must have. What kind of remote have you got?

Massimo

#70: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:27 pm
    ----
It's a 0.8m/2.0m cable one; I haven't tried it out yet.

#71: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:32 pm
    ----
Any special reason to go for cable instead of radio, or just for budget?

Massimo

#72: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:51 pm
    ----
I didn't know about radio ones, and had heard of problems with the IR ones. Do you have a link to a suitable radio one?

#73: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:58 pm
    ----
I think it was me mentioning here that infrared require the camera's infrared sensor to be in the remote line-of-sight. That's not good most of the time.

I know radio remotes exist, but I failed to find them on canon's website... Maybe they are available only from third-party?

I've just got a cable remote myself, because that's all Canon G12 supports.

I'll try to dig more and post here once I find something.

Massimo

#74: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:51 am
    ----
Looks like Satechi has a good reputation and could offer some solutions to our needs:
www.satechi.net/satech...AM&sub=CAN

Massimo

#75: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:18 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
I think it was me mentioning here that infrared require the camera's infrared sensor to be in the remote line-of-sight. That's not good most of the time.

I also read some negative reviews on Amazon.co.uk before deciding to order the wired version:

www.amazon.co.uk/produ...EPEXTZZBBO

- Massimo_Foti
Looks like Satechi has a good reputation and could offer some solutions to our needs:
www.satechi.net/satech...mp;sub=CAN

Thanks for the link. My Quik Pod has arrived so I'll try it with the wired remote in Holland and see how I get on.

-> AFV News Discussion Board