T29 Heavy Tank Pilot Vehicles
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: T29 Heavy Tank Pilot Vehicles Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:53 pm
    ----
Unfortunately, I didnt even know to look over the bow MG for SNs. Had never found them on the heavies before.

Neil

#17: Re: T29 Heavy Tank Pilot Vehicles Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:08 pm
    ----
For all those Heavy Tank 'Trainspotters', here is Version 4:

This is obviously not the simple task as originally believed, but makes it a bit more interesting.

Regards
Don

#18: Re: T29 Heavy Tank Pilot Vehicles Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:36 pm
    ----
Heres a sample of the stamped SN as found on the Heavy Tanks:

Regards
Don

#19: Re: T29 Heavy Tank Pilot Vehicles Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:27 am
    ----
- Kurt_Laughlin
WW II Shermans and other AFVs were build at Hegewisch, so no doubt the postwar tanks were as well.

KL

I guess you mean that the WW II Shermans and other AFVs were built only at Hegewisch? I also found this:

com-central.net/index....mp;t=12318

I have done some further digging, and have come to the same conclusion. There are various reports that imply tanks were built at Pittsburgh, for example:

www.olive-drab.com/idp...12_gun.php
explorepahistory.com/h...rkerId=628
www.midcontinent.org/r...steel2.htm

but I think the overwhelming evidence is leaning towards Hegewisch only, and not any of the other Pressed Steel factories, except perhaps for components:

www.hmdb.org/Marker.as...rker=20310

I have updated the factory entries, and may delete the Pittsburgh one at a later date if no new information emerges:

Pressed Steel Car Company, Hegewisch

Pressed Steel Car Company, Pittsburgh

Thanks.

#20: Re: T29 Heavy Tank Pilot Vehicles Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:53 am
    ----
- TrevorLarkum

but I think the overwhelming evidence is leaning towards Hegewisch only, and not any of the other Pressed Steel factories, except perhaps for components:

www.hmdb.org/Marker.as...rker=20310

Yes, that looks like the information I provided the museum Smile

I live less than 25 miles from McKees Rocks (PSC), less than 40 miles from Glassport (USC) and Sharon (NMSC-S), less than 20 miles from Coraopolis (CFM-D), and 50 miles from Wheeling, West Virginia (CFM-W). Other than Bantam recon cars made in Butler and LSTs made on Neville Island, there weren't any major items made around here during the war - except for 95 million tons of steel . . .

KL

#21: Re: T29 Heavy Tank Pilot Vehicles Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:24 pm
    ----
- Kurt_Laughlin

Yes, that looks like the information I provided the museum :-)

I'm impressed! However I know you're the guy when it comes to US tank production (with a nod to Joe for anything M60 related)! Do let me know if you think those final summaries for PSSC are about right, or if anything needs correcting - I do want it to be accurate, within the limitations of what we can determine.

#22: Re: T29 Heavy Tank Pilot Vehicles Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:08 am
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
Do let me know if you think those final summaries for PSSC are about right, or if anything needs correcting - I do want it to be accurate, within the limitations of what we can determine.

1: M3 Grant I Tank (Additional manufacturer)
2: M12 Self-Propelled Howitzer (Sole manufacturer 1942)
3: M4A1 Sherman Tank - M4A1 (Manufacturer)
4: M4A1 Sherman Tank - M4A1 (Late Production) (Manufacturer)
5: NO> M4A3 Sherman Tank - M4A3 (Manufacturer)
6: NO> M4A3 Sherman Tank - M4A3 (Late Production) (Manufacturer)
7: NO> M4A3 (105) Sherman Tank - M4A3 (105) (Manufacturer)
8: NO> M4A3 (76) (Manufacturer)
9: M4A1 (76) Sherman Tank - M4A1 (76) (Manufacturer)
10: M4A1 (76) HVSS Sherman Tank - M4A1 (76) HVSS (Manufacturer)
11: NO> M4A3 (76) HVSS Sherman Tank - M4A3 (76) HVSS (Manufacturer)
12: NO> M4A3 (105) HVSS Sherman Tank - M4A3 (105) HVSS (Manufacturer)
13: M40 Long Tom Gun Motor Carriage - M40 (Manufacturer)
14: M43 Howitzer Motor Carriage (Sole manufacturer June-September 1945)
15: T29 Heavy Tank (Manufacturer of pilot and components 1945)
16: T29E3 Heavy Tank (Manufacturer of components 1945)
17: T30 Heavy Tank (Manufacturer of components 1945)
18: T34 Heavy Tank (Manufacturer of components 1945)

Add M4, M4A2(76) HVSS.

KL

#23: Re: T29 Heavy Tank Pilot Vehicles Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:38 am
    ----
- the_shadock
- ShermanWasRight
It didn't occur to anyone that designating something "T34" might be a tad confusing? :|

well, it was a temporary name, and should be named M34 once introduced into combat.
The M26 Pershing was never confused with the Russian T26 light tank, so the problem exists only because the T34 was never produced at a largte scale and used in combat.

Pierre-Olivier

It has occurred to me since that, of course, something very similar happened with the other US T34, the T34 Calliope, which kept its designation and actually saw some active service. So there was potential for confusion not just with the Soviet T34 but the existing US T34, albeit they were quite different vehicles.

#24: Re: T29 Heavy Tank Pilot Vehicles Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:29 pm
    ----
The duplicate designations did not/would not cause much problem because the only area where such things mattered was in logistics and maintenance. That is why it was emphasized in those areas that the item's nomenclature included both a noun (TANK) and model number (M4). The various T34s would not likely cause confusion because LAUNCHER, Rocket, Multiple, 4.5-inch and TANK, Heavy are clearly different things. (The fact that a Soviet tank was also designated T-34 was irrelvant.) This also explains why there were notable attempts to avoid confusion with similar items, such as the re-designation of TANK, Light, M4 to TANK, Light, M5 to avoid confusion with the TANK, Medium, M4.

KL

#25: Re: T29 Heavy Tank Pilot Vehicles Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:42 pm
    ----
I just returned from digging thru the Library. In the Icks Collection he has a nice Heavy Tank Reference.

17 April Character Data sheet on the T29 ear marks 9 pilots to be made.

18 April Character Data Sheet on the T30 has 12 pilots being ordered with two being diverted as T34's.

This gives a new picture to the Heavy program of a total of 21 pilot models being produced.

The initial pilots are made by Pressed Steel Corp but then the entire project is 'given to Detroit Arsenal for the bulk of production.

I also dug up a photo of the T30E1 on a rail car.

More info to follow
Regards
Don

#26: Re: T29 Heavy Tank Pilot Vehicles Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:28 pm
    ----
Here is a photo of the T30E1 that I found today:

Location is unknown

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board