A rare WW2 tank is gone..
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: A rare WW2 tank is gone.. Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:57 am
    ----

I was back at the Batterie Todt - Atlantic Wall Museum in Audinghen, Northern France this week-end. I was very surprised not to see their A13 Cruiser Mk III in front of the museum, and asked where it is now.

The guy from the museum told me that the hull and turret had large cracks and that nothing was done for years. Sand and salt made the situation even worse, and the tank simply collapsed and fall in several metal bits. The guy also told me that it took them 2 weeks to remove all the metal fragments, and that everything went to scrap, sadly.

Fortunately, they didn't scrap the K5 gun for the moment

Pierre-Olivier

#2: Re: A rare WW2 tank is gone.. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:05 am
    ----
As impervious to the elements as these steel beasts seem to the uninitiated, they aren't. Steel beasts above water are about as durable as wooden ships below it, which is why everyone's efforts at documenting the ones left is so important. Since they're not important to most people, you're the only patrons these artifacts have and every picture taken and shared will someday be priceless, since the items themselves won't last a hundred years in the elements. They'll be more valuable as scrap to somebody else.

#3: Re: A rare WW2 tank is gone.. Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:11 am
    ----
I’m shocked.

How could they scrap the tank ?

#4: Re: A rare WW2 tank is gone.. Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:25 am
    ----
- bialy-r
I’m shocked.

How could they scrap the tank ?

It was in very, very bad shape and was something that has been pointed out here and on other forums for years. If it indeed collapsed my guess is that there was not much to salvage. I seem to remember that when discussed a couple of years ago the consensus was pretty much that it was a "goner" already, beyond anything more than a costly stabilizing cosmetic restoration.

#5: Re: A rare WW2 tank is gone.. Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:34 am
    ----
- the_shadock

What's the status of the K5. Do you have a walkaround of it?

Massimo

#6: Re: A rare WW2 tank is gone.. Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:23 am
    ----
- Rikard_Hufschmied

It was in very, very bad shape and was something that has been pointed out here and on other forums for years. If it indeed collapsed my guess is that there was not much to salvage. I seem to remember that when discussed a couple of years ago the consensus was pretty much that it was a "goner" already, beyond anything more than a costly stabilizing cosmetic restoration.

It was the only A13 Cruiser Mk III tank in France, they could done more than simply scrap every element of it.

#7: Re: A rare WW2 tank is gone.. Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:17 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
- the_shadock

What's the status of the K5. Do you have a walkaround of it?

Massimo

Yes I do Mr. Green

P-O

#8: Re: A rare WW2 tank is gone.. Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:34 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
Yes I do Mr. Green

Great.

I will follow up off-line. Thanks

Massimo

#9: Re: A rare WW2 tank is gone.. Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:47 pm
    ----

that's it for the moment.. these pictures were taken on last Friday.

Pierre-Olivier

#10: Re: A rare WW2 tank is gone.. Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:58 pm
    ----
Well, they repainted the gun since last time I saw pictures of it

Massimo

#11: Re: A rare WW2 tank is gone.. Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:03 pm
    ----

yes, at least the main piece's exterior, but neither the bogies, nor the smaller part with the ammo crane and cart..

P-O

#12: Re: A rare WW2 tank is gone.. Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:14 pm
    ----
The howitzer in the last shot lloks like a 152 mm vz 18-47. Basically a german sFH 18, modified by czechoslovakian army after WW II. See more here:
www.com-central.net/in...ic&t=11486

Since they have an OT-810 I guess they've got them together

Massimo

#13: Re: A rare WW2 tank is gone.. Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:24 pm
    ----
and the donkeys look like the "models" or "types" used by some armies to carry ammunition and food... especially the Free French Army in Italy during the battle of the Garigliano.

P-O

#14: Re: A rare WW2 tank is gone.. Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:17 pm
    ----
I am remembering plenty of swear words that are always spoken about preservation of historical machines in Russia.

I can only advice to europeans to watch better over their own techniks, because as it is visible the preservation of machines in Europe is far from the dreams.

#15: Re: A rare WW2 tank is gone.. Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:25 am
    ----
- Koluchiy
I am remembering plenty of swear words that are always spoken about preservation of historical machines in Russia.

I can only advice to europeans to watch better over their own techniks, because as it is visible the preservation of machines in Europe is far from the dreams.

Let's not start that again. Neglect is, sad to say, universal.

-> AFV News Discussion Board