Italian rebuild M47...in the registry?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Italian rebuild M47...in the registry? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:38 am
    ----
Can we confirm ID on this, and location? Serial number if we have it.

"Highway 281"

picasaweb.google.com/j...5876763202

#2: Re: Italian rebuild M47...in the registry? Author: Buq-Buq PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:26 am
    ----
Doug:

Yes, That M47 is in New Rockford, North Dakota. I have pictures somewhere on my hard drive, I’ll have a look. I’m pretty certain that it is an Italian rebuild, to include the plaque on the back end. I’ll have a look . . .

Mark

#3: Re: Italian rebuild M47...in the registry? Author: Buq-Buq PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:57 am
    ----
Doug:

Yes, I found the pictures. The number on what appears to be the left front tow lug is “3454” . . . the plate on the rear armor presumably indicates a rebuild by an Italian company (Astra?) in 1966 (I don’t speak/read Italian, so I’m inferring some of this). Here is what the plate says:

ASTRA S.p.A.
Officonstruzionie Riconstruzion Autom
ViaE. Millo [something . . . the number 12?]-Piacenza - Telef.24867
REVISIONE GENERALE
DATA [stamped on] 15 - 2 - 66 No [stamped on] 1 D

Various letters of the above may be a bit incorrect; the sun was in a bad position for a great shot of the plate. The stamped number at the end, the “1 D” has space for a much longer number, but that is all that appears to be there. The “D” could be an “O” or a “0”, I suppose.

There are two casting numbers on the right turret side, back on the bustle, underneath the lifting eye. The first number is “322”, and the second number is “7537163”, with something (a small “u”?) after that . . . This last seven-digit number might possibly NOT be a casting number, but maybe instead be welded on — it looks more like weld that raised, cast numbers. I do notice that this seven-digit number does match the number that Neil has listed for this tank in the v3 edition of the U.S. AFV Registry (“RN”). Is that really how the registration number would be applied, and in that location?

The vehicle has been there for a while. It has a broken torsion bar on the right side, towards the front (probably #1); the turret bustle stowage bin is missing; cylindrical blast deflector on the gun tube; rain gutters (?) on the turret sides; and when I last saw it (May of 2007), a string of Christmas lights hanging from the right side track.

Mark

#4: Re: Italian rebuild M47...in the registry? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:50 pm
    ----
- Buq-Buq
Doug:

Yes, I found the pictures. The number on what appears to be the left front tow lug is “3454” . . . the plate on the rear armor presumably indicates a rebuild by an Italian company (Astra?) in 1966 (I don’t speak/read Italian, so I’m inferring some of this). Here is what the plate says:

ASTRA S.p.A.
Officonstruzionie Riconstruzion Autom
ViaE. Millo [something . . . the number 12?]-Piacenza - Telef.24867
REVISIONE GENERALE
DATA [stamped on] 15 - 2 - 66 No [stamped on] 1 D

Mark, that certainly sounds like ASTRA in Piacenza:

Location ID 5345: ASTRA, Piacenza

However, the data plate sounds different to the one that Massimo photographed. If you could provide photo's I'd love to add this tank, and details of its plate, to the PTC website. Thanks.

#5: Re: Italian rebuild M47...in the registry? Author: Buq-Buq PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:57 pm
    ----
Trevor:

Check your PM . . .

Mark

#6: Re: Italian rebuild M47...in the registry? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:23 pm
    ----
- Buq-Buq
Trevor:

Check your PM . . .

Mark

Many thanks, Mark - I have now written up this New Rockford M47 with your photo's, plus information from a search through the forum:

Location ID 84700: New Rockford Memorial Park

Everyone, please let me know if you have any information or photo's to add, thanks.

-> AFV News Discussion Board