Tiger II Interior (revisited)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Tiger II Interior (revisited) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:31 pm
    ----
In an attempt to compare the Panther II & Tiger II hull crew compartments.....I 'dove into the Tiger II,...again

Caught in the act....

It is one aspect inside the cutaway Tiger II, that you feel like a fish in a tank...!! (pardon the pun !)

This is the drivers left side 'view' thru the cutaway armor...

Regards
Don

#2: Re: Tiger II Interior (revisited) Author: VonForhud PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:48 pm
    ----
Oh the Water temperature is low, I didnt know it had an watercooled engine?

#3: Re: Tiger II Interior (revisited) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:55 am
    ----
29 Oct update:

I spent a little time walking around 'Behind the walls'. The packing up and preparation of the vehicles for the upcoming continuation of the move to Ft Benning.

The Tiger II is a focus of such preparation. The plexiglass on the left 'cutaway' side of the hull & turret has been removed. Bracing is being placed to support the left side so no warping or 'tweeking' of the hull structure occurs while being transported.

I've been informed that sheet metal will used to seal the open sides. It seems a bit overly cautious, but demonstrates that careful steps are being planned out to insure no damage or undo interior exposure will happen during the move.

Regards
Don

#4: Re: Tiger II Interior (revisited) Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:23 am
    ----
Man! If Third Army had gotten a glimpse of that crewman, Patton would have fallen back to France! Shocked

#5: Re: Tiger II Interior (revisited) Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:46 am
    ----
Don,

Did you save the plexi? Maybe make a big fish tank out of it? Stock it with Tigerfish!

Caged from Wiki on tigerfish:

"Tigerfish can be considered Africa's equivalent of the South American piranha, though they belong to a completely different family, as they are famous for their ferocity when hunting. They have razor-sharp teeth that are interlocking, along with streamlined, muscular bodies built for speed. Tigerfish are aggressive predators."

I'm seeing a big money maker!!

#6: Re: Tiger II Interior (revisited) Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:16 am
    ----
Is the speedometer unoriginal?

#7: Re: Tiger II Interior (revisited) Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:14 am
    ----
Hmm, if that central dial is a speedo, then a Tiger II doing 125kph would be quite a sight!

#8: Re: Tiger II Interior (revisited) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:01 pm
    ----
I don't know if the gauges are authentic. It was restored following its arrival at Ft Knox from APG.

125KPH is a tad optimistic,....

VB: No, I have no plans to start an exotic fish collection. The plexiglass will go to Ft Benning. I assume it will be remounted before the tank is put back on display.

Regards
Don

#9: Re: Tiger II Interior (revisited) Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:17 pm
    ----
125Kph is not a problem for speedometer.
Original Panther/Tiger I speedometer had scale up to 100Kph, though these tanks can't go so quickly (or close to).

I think KT should have the same speedometer as Panther/TigerI, but I don't sure.

#10: Re: Tiger II Interior (revisited) Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:33 pm
    ----
What are the small 1, 2, 3 and 4 on the speedometer? Hard to believe it shifted to the 3rd gear at +40 km/h.

#11: Re: Tiger II Interior (revisited) Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:31 am
    ----
Also you can ask where are digits from 5 to 8 :-).

-> AFV News Discussion Board