THE MOVE.....(update)
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:45 pm
    ----
Yesterday RMP was invaded by a Transportation Unit with empty HETTs.

Although I was not on hand, I received a 'sitrep' with some photos.

The Convoys are resuming for the move of vehicles to Ft Benning. This 'batch (10 vehicles) is heading to the 'Harmony Church' area of Ft Benning.

Here are some shots of the days activities.

The Convoy is set to roll in the next day or so. More to follow in the coming weeks.

Crying or Very sad
Don

#2: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:07 pm
    ----
Bye Bye M60's Sad

Glad I came down when I did, would have missed them.

BTW Don,

Check your PM

#3: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: binder001 PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:57 pm
    ----
Don,

Every time you post an update on "The Move" I say a prayer of thanks that I was able to come over there in 2009 for the 60th Anniversay celebration.

I hope Benning does right by the armor museum.

#4: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:45 pm
    ----
Hey Don,

Be careful crawling around inside the stuff at RMP - wouldn't want to find out you ended up at Ft Benning while looking for a data plate! We all appreciate your dedication - just don't push it too far!
LOL!

Better yet, we see photos posted of some guy's head sticking out of a turret while the transports are on I-95 - and its you!

Cheers!

#5: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:33 pm
    ----
- binder001

Every time you post an update on "The Move" I say a prayer of thanks that I was able to come over there in 2009 for the 60th Anniversay celebration.

I totally agree and STILL look back on my photos and video.

- Jeff

#6: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:46 am
    ----
20 Oct update to the update......

Well, as it seems, I got it wrong. The Trans Co is not taking the above vehicles south. They were merely moving them across post.

The move is now in tha hands of a contractor, which will be moving tanks via a combination of truck & rail all headed south.

I saw this M48A1 heading south on the truck yesterday afternoon, here is how it got loaded....

Now this is a B. A. C. ( Big Ass Crane) (!!)

Thanks to 'Camo' for the excellent photos. I hope to be able to be present for the next load ups. They should be quite interesting.

VB: If I'm on anything heading to Benning, it'll be cause I got kidnapped,..... (!?) I don't plan to go to Benning, unless its against my will!

More to follow
Regards
Don

#7: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:19 pm
    ----
Tell "Camo" those are excellent pictures worthy of Armor Magazine,

Might make a decent article since everything else they've been publishing has been pretty bland or off point lately.

#8: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:24 am
    ----
21 Oct: From the Railhead at Ft Knox:

Regards
Don

#9: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:59 am
    ----
Here is the 'tally' for what has been titled 'Midnight Train to Georgia'. The train 'pulls' tonight, loaded with vehicles taken from RMP.

This rail shipment headed to Ft Benning includes:
Panther G, M-51 recovery, M-51 Isherman, M-48, M-48A1,
M-48A2C, M-48A5, M-48A5E1, M-60, M-60A1 (x3), M-60A3,
Challenger, T-29E3, T-72, XM-803, M-47, Chieftan, M1A1, IPM1

Just a note for those 'tracking' what is going. Additional photos to follow.

Crying or Very sad
Regards
Don

#10: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:13 am
    ----
Here is a shot of the Panther G being loaded onto the train.

Unfortunately I was not able to gain access prior to this, so.....a missed opportunity, sadly enough.

Regards
Don

#11: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:07 am
    ----
I did. It is completely gutted. Even the interior deck plates are gone. All you see are the torsion bars and the gun. I first climbed inside the Panther G when I was 11 years old. I'll be 56 November 1. It is like losing an old friend. Sad

#12: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:38 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Here is a shot of the Panther G being loaded onto the train.

Unfortunately I was not able to gain access prior to this, so.....a missed opportunity, sadly enough.

Regards
Don

What have they been doing to both of the exhaust of the Panther Confused

It is not the standard piece of tube that is sticking up heigh in the air
The original should be the curved one's (variuos variations) or the Flammvernichter type

This looks more like an long Tiger I exhaust

Michel

#13: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:08 pm
    ----
Michel

I believe the exhaust is a fabrication. It was done in the style of the Tiger 1, but was done to keep rain out of the ehaust pipes, but during the early 70s when this tank was 'prepared' for outdoor static display.

Here is another shot of it being loaded on the train.

Regards
Don

#14: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:14 pm
    ----
Here are a couple more 'flying tank' photos....

T72 (SN X09BT5771) Former Republican Guard tank captured by during Operation Desert Storm in 1991:

The M51 ARV of the USMCRs 4th Marine Div

All these amazing photos were forwarded by a fellow Museum Volunteer who has been busy assisting with the upload process & recording it 'for the record'. Thank you Chun.

Regards
Don

#15: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:25 pm
    ----
Dust is kicked up by additional arriving trucks loaded with various examples of the Patton Museum's former Armor collection.

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board