Photos from US Army Museum of Hawaii
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Photos from US Army Museum of Hawaii Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:04 am
    ----
We’ve posted a gallery of photos from our 2008 visit to the US Army Museum of Hawaii in Honolulu, HI.
A great museum in an historic locale. The displays and artifacts regarding the Dec 7th attack are fascinating and very informative. Plan on visiting if you are headed to Oahu to see the historic sights.

afvagabond.smugmug.com...1097_qp4fT

Type 95

M24

#2: Re: Photos from US Army Museum of Hawaii Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:26 am
    ----
VB

THATS AWESOME!

Brings to mind a retired CSM (with 35 years of service..!) that I knew in Washington State while serving as an Army Recruiter in the mid-90's.

He joined the Army in the mid 30s as a Military Policeman and served the duration of the war in Hawaii. As a member of the Hawaiian Detatchment of the 810th MP company, he was a Pearl Harbor survivor! When I knew him, he was the sole surviving member of the 810ths Pearl Harbor survivors association.

In the time I knew him, he shared some amazing stories while going thru his scrapbooks of photos. He presented me with a unit reunion pin (which I still have...!) that was to be the final reunion of the unit due to dwindling membersip.

Your post immediately brought back my memories of him and the images & stories of his experiences, that he so kindly shared with me.

Thank you
Regards
Don

#3: Re: Photos from US Army Museum of Hawaii Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:52 am
    ----
Supposedly those 2 tank exhibits are enclosed in the museum now, since they were last seen building a structure around them. The inside of the museum is full of artifacts, uniforms and dioramas as well as as many many photos.

I visited back in 2001 and wished I had a digital camera back then ( hey, I was just lucky to get to go) so most of the photos are stuck in an album.

- Jeff

#4: Re: Photos from US Army Museum of Hawaii Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:04 pm
    ----
VB,
I noticed that you didnt take any pics of the M3A1 Half-Track www.toadmanstankpictur...m3a1ht.htm or the M15A1 Half-Track GMC www.toadmanstankpictur.../m15a1.htm that at least used to be there... Any sign of them?

Neil

#5: Re: Photos from US Army Museum of Hawaii Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:59 am
    ----
Neil,

I saw no sign of either Half-Track when we visited in Dec, 2008.

Feel free to send us back on a fact-finding junket/ photo mission!! Soon you'll be swimming in extra cash from the wedding and think of how much the ENTIRE AFV community would benefit from the VBs returning to Hawaii. I'll post video of us looking for AFVs in Hanauma Bay!!

Dude...... think about it!

#6: Re: Photos from US Army Museum of Hawaii Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:24 am
    ----
VB,
Actually it looks like I'll beat you too it. We're planning a Hawaii vacation in August Wink

Neil

#7: Re: Photos from US Army Museum of Hawaii Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:51 am
    ----
Congrats!

But you're gonna be a lot happier if you take us along to take photos! Mrs VB is terrific at portraits!

Besides, Mrs Neil may not want to go to the military stuff - I'm really thinking of your long-term relationship here, my man!

If it's a first trip for you we'd be glad to PM you with some of the stuff we enjoyed on Oahu. I don't have the GPS coordinates for Puka Dog - you'll have to find it yourself!

Cheers!

#8: Re: Photos from US Army Museum of Hawaii Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:08 am
    ----
I just got a response back from the museum on this question - CMH transferred to the two half-tracks to the Anniston Army Depot storage center. No confirmation what happened to them after - but the M15A1 GMC may be this M15 GMC.

AAD photo

Hawaii photo

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board