Preserved Tanks in the USA
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: Preserved Tanks in the USA Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:38 pm
    ----
I recently started posting on the HMVF forum and a member there kindly sent me photos of the 1st Cavalry Division Museum at Fort Hood. That prompted me to start its writeup, but I will return to it at a later date as I am currently a bit overwhelmed. At that point I will be looking for more information and photographs, and I know it can be found on this forum.

Location ID 93000: 1st Cavalry Division Museum, Fort Hood, Texas (work in progress)

#32: Re: Preserved Tanks in the USA Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:43 am
    ----
While on holiday I wrote up and sorted the photographs for Borden. During the same trip I visited Danbury and actually wrote it up some time ago, but never put it online. I've now done that, ahead of putting Borden online.

Location ID 56000: Military Museum of Southern New England, Danbury, Connecticut

As usual, any corrections or additional information much appreciated.

#33: Re: Preserved Tanks in the USA Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:59 pm
    ----
I have been approached by a film student in Denver, Kristopher Peck, who is working on a short documentary on the transfer of WWII artillery from APG to Fort Sill. I have agreed to him using photo's of the APG vehicles from PreservedTanks.com. However, I've pointed out that this is the best forum for the latest information on such transfers and have suggested he calls in here - I know you'll all make him welcome if he does.

Anyway, this has prompted me to take on the job that I've been putting off for some years of updating my APG entry - some 120 vehicles:

Aberdeen Proving Ground

While the focus will be on the transfer APG->Fort Sill, I'm expecting also to have to deal to some extent with APG->Fort Lee, plus the ADA museum so also Bliss->Sill (and probably Baumholder->Bliss).

To kick things off last Saturday I created a new entry for Fort Sill, though so far I've only moved into it the APG M12 and Semovente:

Location ID 86100: Artillery Museum, Fort Sill

I hope you guys will be sympathetic to requests for photos and information (as you usually are). However, I'll start by scouring existing threads for information using Search, and using photos made available online by the Sill museum (e.g. on Facebook), so I imagine that will keep me busy for some weeks. As always I'll give credit for anything used. I'll post here as I make progress.

#34: Re: Preserved Tanks in the USA Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:25 am
    ----
I've now added the T92 to Sill:

Unique ID 2440: T92 HMC, Fort Sill

(Photo: N. Baumgardner)

#35: Re: Preserved Tanks in the USA Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:28 am
    ----
I've also taken the opportunity to 'complete the set' and added the T92 at Detroit:

Unique ID 2441: T92 HMC, Detroit Tank Arsenal, Warren

(Photo: N. Baumgardner)

Neil - I've used your photo's for these with credit - I hope that's OK. You, or any contributor, can of course check what photo's I've used at any time via the Contributors page:

Contributors to Preserved Tanks.com

#36: Re: Preserved Tanks in the USA Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:50 pm
    ----
I've added the Type 653 to APG which was previously missing (prompted by Rick's photo):

Unique ID 2443: APG Type 653

#37: Re: Preserved Tanks in the USA Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:56 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
I have been approached by a film student in Denver, Kristopher Peck, who is working on a short documentary on the transfer of WWII artillery from APG to Fort Sill.

I have completed my work today on moving entries from APG to Fort Sill, and added a handful of missing vehicles - this is the latest state of the Fort Sill entry:

Location ID 86100: Artillery Museum, Fort Sill

Later I will return to cover the other vehicles there.

Meanwhile Kris has finished his video and it's online here:

Artillery on the Move by Kristhopher Peck

I highly recommended it.

#38: Re: Preserved Tanks in the USA Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:59 pm
    ----
REgarding Semovente 149mm, the correct text is the one from "Preserved Italian Tanks". The vehicles was captured by the Germans in late 1943 and send to Germany for evaluation. There it was fund in 1945 by the US Army

Massimo

#39: Re: Preserved Tanks in the USA Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:54 pm
    ----
Good point, Massimo, thanks - fixed.

#40: Re: Preserved Tanks in the USA Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:37 pm
    ----
I'm visiting Florida soon and will try and visit any preserved tanks around central Florida (those reasonably accessible from Kissimmee). If anyone has any particular requests for photos, just let me know. I've started to add placeholder entries to PreservedTanks.com - if you zoom in to Florida you'll get an idea of ones I'm currently considering:

preservedtanks.com/Loc...MinTanks=0

I tried to gain access to the IMT collection at Titusville but they said photography isn't allowed, so I'm not going to bother.

#41: Re: Preserved Tanks in the USA Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:01 pm
    ----
They will take pictures for you if you tell them what you need supposedly.

#42: Re: Preserved Tanks in the USA Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:02 am
    ----
Yes, I've asked so we'll see if anything comes back.

#43: Re: Preserved Tanks in the USA Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:19 am
    ----
Unfortunately, I think that the M4 Sherman in Fort Walton Beach, FL is too far away (6-hour drive).

P-O

#44: Re: Preserved Tanks in the USA Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:26 pm
    ----
I'm afraid so - currently I'm considering Avon Park, Tampa, Largo, St Petersburg, and others at similar distances.

#45: Re: Preserved Tanks in the USA Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:06 pm
    ----
Due to the family preferrring Disney World I didn't get to as many of these as I'd hoped. Final tally: Avon Park (M110), Tampa (Stuart), Largo Armed Forces Museum, and St Petersburg/Bay Pines (M41). Now back home.

-> AFV News Discussion Board