Mystery AFV on rolling stock in OH
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Mystery AFV on rolling stock in OH Author: Buq-Buq PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:03 am
    ----
Hey, guys, I picked this up from Missing-Lynx (thanks, Marek). . . have a look:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lqW94Gmug8

It starts about 1:30 minutes into the video.

Is that a CATTB? 208.84.116.223/forums/...cattb&st=0

Mark

#2: Re: Mystery AFV on rolling stock in OH Author: Buq-Buq PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:16 am
    ----
As I wrote over on Missing-Lynx, the turret obviously isn’t the same . . . but 10-15(+) years and a little development could allow for changes like that. The gun certainly is long enough. I couldn’t make out a bore evacuator. I snagged a bunch of screen shots, but they are limited in scope, of course, given the speed of the train, the angle of the shot, etc. They’re also very little.

Maybe its a movie prop?

Here’s the original Missing-Lynx . . . link:

www.network54.com/Foru...s+or+what-

Mark

#3: Re: Mystery AFV on rolling stock in OH Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:36 am
    ----
Mark

I read thru the thread,....that type of 'pissing contest' dialog is perhaps why I have shyed away from Missing-Lynx and TankNet.

Its amazing how many Abrams 'Experts' are out there. I love it when someone brings up the 'Block III' and claims it to be the M1A3(!?). That was tested in the late 80s/early 90's at APG,....and it was cut quickly during the 'Clinton Cut-Backs'.

Looking at the video, I'd say its the Block III going somewhere as an exhibit. It is too clean and the paint is freshly applied. Besides, you don't see too many Woodland pattern vehicles anymore.....

A lot of Museum stuff is being shifted around the States right now,....

Hard to tell, but it is a 'great catch'.

Regards
Don

#4: Re: Mystery AFV on rolling stock in OH Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:36 am
    ----
- Dontos
Mark

I read thru the thread,....that type of 'pissing contest' dialog is perhaps why I have shyed away from Missing-Lynx and TankNet.

Regards
Don

The referenced dialogue on Tank-Net was by no means a "pissing contest" (not that any have never been known to occur). If you mean the last couple of posts in that thread, trust me, that is just a good-natured exchange between folks that know each other and are actually sharing an inside joke with an oblique reference to a certain "Sparky". Both of them are easy-going fun-sters.

#5: Re: Mystery AFV on rolling stock in OH Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:40 pm
    ----
Perhaps I am a bit overly critical.

I have experienced some similiar 'M1A3' discussions years ago that bordered along the same lines as the M113 "G_ _ _ _" (!?)

Of course I am prone to misunderstanding conversations, (!?) after all I am a mere mortal. (No news there, I'm sure)

Regards
Don

#6: Re: Mystery AFV on rolling stock in OH Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:00 pm
    ----
I wonder what it is? And what's "CATTB"? Probably not a movie prop since it's on a DoD flatcar. My first thought was SP Howitzer but it would probably have a 155mm gun if it were.

#7: Re: Mystery AFV on rolling stock in OH Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:24 pm
    ----
Here's the CATTB:

#8: Re: Mystery AFV on rolling stock in OH Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:35 am
    ----
I got the following response from an old friend of mine who used to work in the Abrams PM office and now works for GD on what the video/photos are:

"This is an old (1980s) Technology Demo on what a 140mm turret would have to be sized like and integrated onto the chassis. (The gun is not 140mm)"

Neil

#9: Re: Mystery AFV on rolling stock in OH Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:49 am
    ----
Neil

That makes sense. It is just too neat & freshly painted....

I did notice that the #7 skirt MWO has been applied. This implies that the demo was cleaned up for.......storage?

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board