New at Ft Bliss, a gate guard M551A1!
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: New at Ft Bliss, a gate guard M551A1! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:03 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

A second M551 (serial nu 5810) has been parked on a lighted pad at the corner of Sheridan and Haan Streets. Somebody did a great job of cleaning all the old paint off and laying on new paint.

If any one is counting, the M551A1 over by the musuem is serial nu: 269.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts out!

#2: Re: New at Ft Bliss, a gate guard M551A1! Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:42 am
    ----
Nice!

#3: Re: New at Ft Bliss, a gate guard M551A1! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:50 pm
    ----
Very nice. Gun looks either out of battery or was a non-bore evacuator model put on the wrong collar. Mark can probably help us out here.

Is that the original water barrier cover? Amazing if it's in that good a shape restored.

#4: Re: New at Ft Bliss, a gate guard M551A1! Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:04 pm
    ----
Good eye Doug. The dust cover on the gun is the type that was made for the gun tube with a bore evacuator (M81 Modified). When the M81E1 tube, without the bore evacuator, was installed they failed to change the dust cover. It still might be out of battery a little. Looks kind of short!

On this subject, The Sheridan at Jacque Littlefield's museum used to have the same mismatched dust cover. I wrote him once and explained the difference and sent him photos. In recent photos I noticed the dust cover has been changed! He is the epitome of attantion to detail!

#5: Re: New at Ft Bliss, a gate guard M551A1! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:45 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey

Is that the original water barrier cover? Amazing if it's in that good a shape restored.

I have no idea. My guess is it has been replaced at sometime. Looking at the one the museum has, which has been setting out in the weather up at White Sand Missile Range, the screen, the rubber barrier covers, and the rubber straps that hold everything in storage are rotten, broken and parts are missing.

I learn today that a commerical contractor did the paint job. Cleaned her down to bare metal, primed and added gloss OD. It only has two layers of paint on it now. That is why she looks so good. She in a good spot. The M26 Pershing is surrounded by grass and the road wheels are already showing rust.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board