FY11 MILCON Museum Cuts
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: FY11 MILCON Museum Cuts Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:24 pm
    ----
See page 17
republicans.appropriat...lution.pdf
"Reduction of museum operations support building - (74.8)"

Compare to comptroller.defense.go...011_c1.pdf page 356 - that's all funding for Fort Benning, Lee and Sill...

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: Not Good: House Proposed FY11 MILCON Museum Cuts Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:04 pm
    ----
Gosh....who could have foreseen that development?

#3: Re: Not Good: House Proposed FY11 MILCON Museum Cuts Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:30 pm
    ----
The good news is that this is just the first salvo - it has to pass the whole House of Representatives, and then go into conference committee with the Senate on their version. The Democrat-controlled Senate may not cut so deep...

#4: Re: Not Good: House Proposed FY11 MILCON Museum Cuts Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:59 pm
    ----
What wonderful news!! Is there any plan to scrap all that old armor in order to sell the iron to China? At least they would be of some use...

More seriously, I hope that they will not be stored outside too long, because some of them were very recently cosmetically restored.

Pierre-Olivier

#5: Re: Not Good: House Proposed FY11 MILCON Museum Cuts Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:26 pm
    ----
Any chance of getting some funding from Kuwait? Seriously - I read about the Tank Museum @ Bovington getting 1.5 Million Pounds in recognition of the Royal Armoured Corps in the liberation of Kuwait.

www.tankmuseum.org/ixb...XMENU_=top

I seem to remember that some M1 Abrahms were involved in that as well Smile

#6: Re: Not Good: House Proposed FY11 MILCON Museum Cuts Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:17 pm
    ----
I wonder how much the Russians/French/British spend to have the best Armor Museums in the world? Fort Knox and other bases have millions of dollars in new buildings going up right now. It seems here in the states if we can't spend a Kzillion dollars on the structure we are incapable of displaying the armor. If the US Army can't do it maybe they should give them away to folks that can. I would add Kubinka is one great Museum and the fact they have older buildings I don't think anyone notices or cares....Displaying the vehicles is the point

#7: Re: Not Good: House Proposed FY11 MILCON Museum Cuts Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:45 pm
    ----
- armyjunk2
I would add Kubinka is one great Museum and the fact they have older buildings I don't think anyone notices or cares....Displaying the vehicles is the point

Here you can see that even Kubinka spends some money to have more comfortable and beautiful buildings :

P-O

#8: Re: Not Good: House Proposed FY11 MILCON Museum Cuts Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:50 pm
    ----
Most of Bovington's money comes from the National Lottery - I don't know if there's a US equivalent. This year they're planning a 40,000 sq ft storage building with workshop and conservation facility. It's designed to hold 120 vehicles, and be accessible to the public.

#9: Re: Not Good: House Proposed FY11 MILCON Museum Cuts Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:45 am
    ----
Bovington also charges admission, something the U.S. Museums are not allowed to do. And remember the Army isn't building museums they are building storage facilities Rolling Eyes

#10: Re: Not Good: House Proposed FY11 MILCON Museum Cuts Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:02 am
    ----
- bsmart
Bovington also charges admission, something the U.S. Museums are not allowed to do. And remember the Army isn't building museums they are building storage facilities Rolling Eyes

Bob

I believe the term is Institutional Support Instructional Storage Facility...(!!??)

Rolling Eyes
Don

#11: Re: Not Good: House Proposed FY11 MILCON Museum Cuts Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:11 am
    ----
again if the Army can't or won't build facilities why not give vehicles to someone that will. I don't get it I guess.. I know its far more complicated than I'm making it, I just hate seeing them rust away. I'm just ranting...

I hope the new ceiling in building 7 helps with the photo taking at kubinka.

#12: Re: Not Good: House Proposed FY11 MILCON Museum Cuts Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:18 am
    ----
These don't look high dollar to me, but work perfect for the purpose...Rant, Rant...

#13: Re: Not Good: House Proposed FY11 MILCON Museum Cuts Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:54 am
    ----
To be honest, if the choice was between providing free daycare for the children of soldiers; or free internet connections so the deployed could talk with their families more often; or putting the cheapest possible roof over my favorite tanks; I would let the tanks rust.

I realize that it's not that simple, and there are undoubtedly wasteful or frivolous expenses that *aren't* being cut, but when there is only so much money, museums and so forth are a ways down the list from supporting the warfighters.

KL

#14: Re: Not Good: House Proposed FY11 MILCON Museum Cuts Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:09 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
See page 17
republicans.appropriat...lution.pdf
"Reduction of museum operations support building - (74.8)"

Compare to comptroller.defense.go...011_c1.pdf page 356 - that's all funding for Fort Benning, Lee and Sill...

Neil

Hi,

Told ya s....nah, too easy. But this was pretty predictable.

And I wouldn't hold much hope for anyone bothering to protect the restored vehicles. They are just pawns in the funding games, and if they deteriorate it makes them more valuable as evidence of how badly funding is needed. This is about money and the power it represents...politics at it's finest. If you convince Congress to give you money, you gain power. It's messed up, but it's the way it is.

And don't mention Kubinka. It's that way because of exactly the same reasons, and it gave someone some sort of power or status to build it the way it is. Sadly, this is true of most museums owned and operated by a civil government. If they take money from a national funding source, they are subject to the same rules.

C

#15: Re: Not Good: House Proposed FY11 MILCON Museum Cuts Author: blackdog PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:47 am
    ----
Sounds like someone put the cart before the horse...

-> AFV News Discussion Board