Our plans and trips to military museums
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:29 am
    ----
good idea, thanks. Anyway I've tried to plan the dates and locations for visits, but I feel like I will have more time than required, so I may do some changes as circumstances allow.

P-O

#17: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:25 am
    ----
- the_shadock
this is my plan to visit the Balkans area in late April, early May.. with the car

You may as well visit Trieste. The De Henriquez Museum is partially open.

Massimo

#18: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:10 am
    ----
this is my plan to visit the Balkans area in late April, early May.. with the car

P-O

#19: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Jstar PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:27 pm
    ----
Will be in Salt lake City area first three days of June.

Any recommendations for armor/military museums beyond Camp Douglas?

i know there is a private one, but have no idea how to contact them to maybe arrange a visit.

Any help appreciate

many thanks

Joe

#20: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:39 pm
    ----
A bit of advanced planning here, but next year self & wife are off to the Far East, 3 weeks trip through Vietnam & China.

Saigon - War Remnants Museum
Hanoi - Vietnam Military History Museum
Beijing - Sure as hell I'm going to visit the PLA tank museum!

#21: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: junglejim65 PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:56 am
    ----
Guess I should have posted my question about the Greek Tank Museum here. Anyway, another museum question - is there still a 1st AD Museum in Baumholder? Internet gives the impression it moved to the States? Anything in Baumholder still?

Thanks,
Jim

#22: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:21 pm
    ----
hmmm I feel like I really want to join, not because the food is on you, but because I know it will be a wonderful week-end.

P-O

#23: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:34 am
    ----
I have all the booking finalized, planes, hotels and Carrousel.
I will arrive in Saumur on Wednesday evening, spent Thursday at the Museum, then Friday and Saturday afternoon I will attend the Carrousel.
Still not sure about Friday and Saturday morning, either I will walk around trying to sneak some picture or I will spend a few hours inside the Museum.

No need to say I would love to meet any fellow enthusiast over there.

Massimo

PS P-O, if we will meet food and beverage are on me Smile

#24: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:21 pm
    ----
for instance, if you come to the museum the day before the show, you may see some vehicles being loaded on trucks...

#25: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:33 pm
    ----
well, you must be lucky, but yes, there are some opportunities.. I'll see if I can attend the show in July.

P-O

#26: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:52 am
    ----
- the_shadock

In my opinion, the most interesting things are that :
-the tanks running at the Carrousel can be photographed in the open air with natural light
-you can see them from nearly all the angles
-you can see vehicles that are usually stored in areas forbidden to the public.

I saw pictures taken during the show, inside the "arena" and I will bring telephoto lenses for the job. But what before and after that, are there opportunity to see the vehicles outside the show's time frame?

Massimo

#27: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:08 pm
    ----
just have a look and share the list of vehicles that will take part to the show, I will tell you which ones come from the museum and which ones come from the reserves.

#28: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:06 pm
    ----
well, most of the tanks that run during the Carrousel come from the reserves (Sherman tanks, all the post-1945 vehicles, B1 bis, Renault FTs, Panther). I'd say that only the Valentine, Tiger II, Panzer II and Luchs come from the museum's displays. I'm not sure that the museum is so empty, even during the carrousel.

In my opinion, the most interesting things are that :
-the tanks running at the Carrousel can be photographed in the open air with natural light
-you can see them from nearly all the angles
-you can see vehicles that are usually stored in areas forbidden to the public.

P-O

#29: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:01 am
    ----
Current plan is to fly to Paris, spend a 2-3 days there, then take the train to Saumur, watch the Carrousel (both days) and travel back home on Sunday.

I wonder about Saumur's Museum during those days, there should be some empty spots among the display, potentially opening good photographic opportunities. Still I wonder how many people would visit the Museum the day before the event.

P-O, you watched a Carrousel before, right? Is there the opportunity to take interesting pictures during the time before the show?
In other words, on Friday and Saturday morning, would it be better to hang around the show area or is better to visit the Museum instead?

Massimo

#30: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:01 pm
    ----
hmm hmm... in July....

-> AFV News Discussion Board