Hanson Army Reserve Center – Birmingham, AL gallery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Hanson Army Reserve Center – Birmingham, AL gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:17 am
    ----
We’ve posted a gallery of photos from the Hanson Army Reserve Center in Birmingham, AL.

afvagabond.smugmug.com...2336_Wspqq

M42B1E9

M47

Enjoy!

#2: Re: Hanson Army Reserve Center – Birmingham, AL gallery Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:55 pm
    ----
I didn't know that M42B1 was there . . . That RN is valid for a PSC M4A1, so it may be original.

KL

#3: Re: Hanson Army Reserve Center – Birmingham, AL gallery Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:26 pm
    ----
well, I didn't know that M42B1 either. A great number of new tanks are being added to Surviving Panzers website this week, mostly British and Russian tanks.. excellent news !!

Pierre-Olivier

#4: Re: Hanson Army Reserve Center – Birmingham, AL gallery Author: binder001 PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:27 pm
    ----
Some neat stuff down there. Most of it looks fairly good and decently cared for. That's nice to see.

By the way, your M16 halftrack is actually an M16A1. It was rebuilt from an M3/M3A1 APC. Note that it lacks the fold down armor on the upper sides and it has a rear door. The gun mount is raised up a bit for full depression firing.

If your travels take you to Mobile, there is of course the battleship USS Alabama. In the memorial park on shore is a 155mm gun ("Long Tom") that has one of the few original M2 limbers in the USA. Most post war guns got the later M5 limber. If you get down that way how about a series of photos of that limber, please?

Keep up the good work.

#5: Re: Hanson Army Reserve Center – Birmingham, AL gallery Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:11 am
    ----
In my notes it says that M16A1 is likely a 1950s conversion.

#6: Re: Hanson Army Reserve Center – Birmingham, AL gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:08 am
    ----
We were very excited to 'discover' the M4! It was our first 'find'.

Binder001 - Thanks for the info. I'll make the change on the site. We've been to the USS Alabama a couple of times - a few years back. One visit in 2004 and another not long after Katrina went through - a few of the AFVs had been washed off of their concrete pads!! I'll check the archive and see if we have any shots of the limber you mentioned.

I'm doing my best to wade through the zillion places we've been and post photos to the site. I've got around 60 AFV museums, VFW's etc visits to post, also most of the major North American air museums and a lot of historic Naval vessels as well. Our latest tally is close to 300 museums. Yikes! Maybe a 12 step program........

Cheers!

#7: Re: Hanson Army Reserve Center – Birmingham, AL gallery Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:52 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

M42B1E9?

I know what a M4A1 (which what the hull looks like to me) and the E9 system is.

What is 2B1?

I have never heard of that and could not find it in Hunnicutt's Sherman book.

Once again, I am confuzed by the Sherman FOVs.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#8: Re: Hanson Army Reserve Center – Birmingham, AL gallery Author: Smashy PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:32 am
    ----
www.jedsite.info/tanks...eries.html

#9: Re: Hanson Army Reserve Center – Birmingham, AL gallery Author: binder001 PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:26 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

M42B1E9?I know what a M4A1 (which what the hull looks like to me) and the E9 system is. What is 2B1? Sgt, Scouts Out!

The late Sherman-based flame tanks were redesignated "M42" post-war, the B1 meant that it was an M42 Flame Tank built on the M4A1 chassis. You know that the E9 refers to a spaced E9 suspension with extended end connectors on both sides of the track.

Gary B.

#10: Re: Hanson Army Reserve Center – Birmingham, AL gallery Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:27 am
    ----
Hi Gary! Hi Folks!

- binder001
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

M42B1E9?I know what a M4A1 (which what the hull looks like to me) and the E9 system is. What is 2B1? Sgt, Scouts Out!

The late Sherman-based flame tanks were redesignated "M42" post-war, the B1 meant that it was an M42 Flame Tank built on the M4A1 chassis. You know that the E9 refers to a spaced E9 suspension with extended end connectors on both sides of the track.

Gary B.

Learn something new today, super thanks Gary! It's to bad Hunnicutt didn't do a volume 2 for the Sherman and cover a lot of the Sherman's post WW II history.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board