Air raid sirens in Britian
-> EURO Squadron!

#1: Air raid sirens in Britian Author: EURO_John316 PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:20 am
    ----
~S~ Guys I saw a picture of some of those big ge electric sirens from world war 2 do those still work.

#2: Re: Air raid sirens in Britian Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:50 am
    ----
Yep.
You can still see some of 'em in situ, in and around London.
Don't know 'bout the rest of the country but there's still some here.
Every once in a while they test 'em.
Interesting sound for me.
Scares the heck outta all the Sunday-Shopper-Grannies though.

#3: Re: Air raid sirens in Britian Author: EURO_TalusLocation: HMP Wandsworth, Wandsworth, SW18 3HS PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:10 pm
    ----
I just had dinner with my 91 year-old sister-in-law's Mom who was an ambulance driver in London during the Blitz (scumbags). She still got all tensed-up talking about it and she is cool as ice, otherwise.

Just remember Regensburg, and Dresden and you'll feel alright, the sons of bitches.

#4: Re: Air raid sirens in Britian Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:28 pm
    ----
Wait!
Your sister-in-law is 91?
Or her Mom?

#5: Re: Air raid sirens in Britian Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:04 pm
    ----
I remember some communities having Air raid sirens in Illinois in the 1970's. They could be heard for miles and were used for tornado warnings. I haven't been back to Illinois in years so I don't know if they still have them around?
Always scared trhe heck out of me when they tested one.

Wheels

#6: Re: Air raid sirens in Britian Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:06 am
    ----
We didn't have the sirens but we had the search lights - whenever there was a circus, fair etc they would crank up the engines and fire them up - you could see them for miles and miles . . .

#7: Re: Air raid sirens in Britian Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:58 am
    ----
- wheelsup_cavu
I remember some communities having Air raid sirens in Illinois in the 1970's. They could be heard for miles and were used for tornado warnings. I haven't been back to Illinois in years so I don't know if they still have them around?
Always scared trhe heck out of me when they tested one.

Wheels

Yep Wheels, I have one in my town and it goes off every day at noon for 5 seconds. I guess some people need to be reminded it's time to eat... ( Not me however...lol )

#8: Re: Air raid sirens in Britian Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:55 pm
    ----
- Shadow_Bshwackr
I have one in my town and it goes off every day at noon for 5 seconds. I guess some people need to be reminded it's time to eat... ( Not me however...lol )

Oh sure.
And I suppose it has nothing to do with a recent petition from concerned Shepherds in your neighbourhood...!
Razz

#9: Re: Air raid sirens in Britian Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:04 am
    ----
- Shadow_Bshwackr

Yep Wheels, I have one in my town and it goes off every day at noon for 5 seconds. I guess some people need to be reminded it's time to eat... ( Not me however...lol )

That's actually pretty cool that they are still being used.
You could get used to it if they did it every day. It's the once every 6 months or so that will catch you off guard. It seemed just about the time you had completely forgot about them is when the next test happened.

I don't need an alarm to know when it is time to eat either.

Wheels

-> EURO Squadron!