Happy St. George's Day!
-> Officer's Club

#1: Happy St. George's Day! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:35 am
    ----
April 23rd.

#2: Re: Happy St. George's Day! Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:50 am
    ----

#3: Re: Happy St. George's Day! Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:41 pm
    ----
Heard once that on the UK census form there were checks for Scotts, Irish, etc - - -none if you were English? Happy St. George's Day... (you know I am going to ask YOU Shades to show me MY family CASTLE when I come over LOL).... as the postmaster in Lyneham said told HF_Evo... Tell your Yank friend dont think he is coming over here and lording over us LOL... tooo sweet.

Button family name

#4: Re: Happy St. George's Day! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:27 pm
    ----
- HF_SlowHand
I am going to ask YOU Shades to show me MY family CASTLE when I come over[/url]

No worries.
A few seconds research on Google found it.
The Button Family Pile (literally)

#5: Re: Happy St. George's Day! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:47 pm
    ----
I'm still asking myself why we didn't just colonize that piddly island back when we had the chance. Think of all the good British food we could have been importing all this time. Laughing

#6: Re: Happy St. George's Day! Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:17 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
I'm still asking myself why we didn't just colonize that piddly island back when we had the chance. Think of all the good British food we could have been importing all this time. [u][i]:lol:

therein lies your answer LOL... my question is why didnt we keep Sicily after WW2?

#7: Re: Happy St. George's Day! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:37 pm
    ----
- HF_SlowHand
- JG300-Ascout
I'm still asking myself why we didn't just colonize that piddly island back when we had the chance. Think of all the good British food we could have been importing all this time. [u][i]:lol:

therein lies your answer LOL... my question is why didnt we keep Sicily after WW2?

A good idea on the surface, but Guido and the corruption would have bled you white. Razz

Now, if you'd had the foresight to open a decent arancine stand back home, you'd be rich (and fat) now! Laughing

#8: Re: Happy St. George's Day! Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:21 am
    ----
Hey Shades, if your doing tours of ancestral castles can we take a gander at mine?

(Just ta aggravate you yer Skerwellie majesty, William the Conquerer, John, Edward I, and Henry I, have the Rolls waiting Laughing )

#9: Re: Happy St. George's Day! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:45 am
    ----
Ahh The White Tower was William Big-Nose.
The rest was added after, to form The Tower of London (My Summer residence).
Very nice, except fer all the noisy tourists.
Still worth a visit fer all that.

My current, and Spring, residence is near to where John had his reckoning with the barons in 1215, the Magna Carta signed in Runnymede.
A small area of land (precisely one acre) at Runnymede became the site of the John F. Kennedy Memorial in 1965, after he was assassinated.
The land on which the memorial sits was given to America by the people of Britain (not the skwirrells, we're appealling).

Let every Nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden,
meet any hardship, support any friend or oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and success of liberty.

Dedication

View to the Thames of the JFK memorial (co-incidentally sited at the foot of the hill on which stands the Air Forces Memorial)

#10: Re: Happy St. George's Day! Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:37 am
    ----
Thanks Shades, was not aware of the Kennedy Memorial, very touching.

by the way I think you mispelled it "(not the skwirrells, we're appealling)", doubtless it should be spelled "appalling"

#11: Re: Happy St. George's Day! Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:34 pm
    ----
Seems odd to honor JFK seeing how his papa tried to keep the US out of WW2...

#12: Re: Happy St. George's Day! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:55 pm
    ----
We thought quite a lot of JFK here.
And Europe liked him even more.

Only a couple of years after the Queen and Jackie K. dedicated the memorial some idiot peace demonstrator, completely missing the irony of his action, tried to blow it up.
The same guy who created the original had to repair it once everything had blown over.

I grew up around the memorial and am only about 5 miles away from it now.
Lot of history around here.

-> Officer's Club