For all you petrol-heads
-> Officer's Club

#1: For all you petrol-heads Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:01 am
    ----
uk.cars.yahoo.com/1305...ars-0.html

Stolen car returned after 36 years

A phone call from the police to say they've recovered your stolen car is usually good news - but imagine if that call comes 36 years after you reported it missing.

That's exactly what happened to Janice Maffucci from New Jersey, USA. Her 1969 Chevrolet Camaro muscle car was stolen in July 1975 from outside the post office where her father worked.

After 36 years she naturally assumed that it was gone for good. Amazingly, it was recovered after it was recently bought online by an eagle-eyed classic car enthusiast.

Keith Williams bought the Camaro SS from eBay and discovered that certain things didn't quite add up when it arrived.

Convinced that the Chevy was a fake, Keith contacted California police, who investigated and tracked the car back to a 1975 stolen vehicle report.

They contacted the registered owner at the time, Ms Maffucci, and told her they'd found her car. She hung up, thinking it was a joke, but when the local police paid her a visit, she was convinced, and arranged to have the car delivered.

Since the theft, the Camaro's original six-cylinder engine had been swapped for a more powerful V8.

Mr Williams was able to recoup his investment in the car through buyer's insurance, and Ms Maffucci has been reunited with a car that is now worth significantly more than it was when stolen.

The original thief is yet to be found, but police continue to investigate.

#2: Re: For all you petrol-heads Author: SnorreLocation: Ziegenhain, Germany PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:09 am
    ----
I hope that Keith Williams as the honest guy in the game does not end up paying the bill...

#3: Re: For all you petrol-heads Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:24 pm
    ----
Nope, he was insured and claimed his costs back.
Now we all hope they can trace it back to the git that pinched it.

#4: Re: For all you petrol-heads Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:14 pm
    ----
Assuming she collected on the insurance way back when I wonder if she or the insurance company is the owner? will the insurance company demand either the car or reimbursement of the settlement (plus interest)?

#5: Re: For all you petrol-heads Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:58 pm
    ----
I'd pay the claim as it could not be anywhere near what the car is worth today! That is one fine car. Brings back memories of my first car.... 1967 convertible SS 396 Camaro . The condition I bought that in 1971 for $1200.00 would have been a great investment if only I'd had foresight in those days or even these days...lol. They sell for well over $60,000 today and completely restored would bring in triple that or more.

-> Officer's Club