vista help
-> Software

#1: vista help Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:28 pm
    ----
Howdy,

For all my computer literate friends

I unfortunatley have vista on my computer. The problem I am having now is with service pack 1. It will not install. I have tried it more than several times. I cannot upgraded some of my programs without the service pack being installed. I cannot upgrade to windows 7 without the service pack. Besides shooting the blasted thing with my M-1 Carbine, do you have any suggestions.

#2: Re: vista help Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:12 pm
    ----
- JG300-1Bullet
Besides shooting the blasted thing with my M-1 Carbine
I used to have Vista.
Good suggestion!

#3: Re: vista help Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:29 pm
    ----
Not sure about Vista but maybe try installing in safe mode.

#4: Re: vista help Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:47 pm
    ----
like the great inseminator said, Asta la vista baby!

#5: Re: vista help Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:24 pm
    ----
I've seen that problem before with MS, XP and Vista. The problem is with the hardware and MS' incompatibility. I would check your computer specs for upgradability to Win 7 prior to continuing. If all's well, save your important files, reformat and install a fresh version of 7. Welcome to Windows...

#6: Re: vista help Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:39 pm
    ----
Good point Bushster.

What are your spec's, Bullet?

#7: Re: vista help Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:02 am
    ----
I checked to see if I can upgrade. Can't without Vista SP1

Windows Vista Home Premium
X86 Based
Intel(R)Core(TM)2 CPU 6420 @2.13GHz 2.13GHz
2.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce8600GTS
Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)
Phillips DVD+-RW DVD8881 SCSI CDRom Device

Model: Dell XPS XPS710

32 Bit Operating System
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.16407"
System Type X86-based PC
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.4.1, 5/7/2007

#8: Re: vista help Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:22 am
    ----
windows.microsoft.com/...adeadvisor

Have a go with the upgrade advisor.
I think those spec's should allow you to upgrade.

This may help as well
www.microsoft.com/wind...fault.aspx

#9: Re: vista help Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:11 am
    ----

I tried to install Vista SP1 in safe mode. Didn't work. I did the Compatability test. Everything passed except I don't have SP1. Mad

#10: Re: vista help Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:05 am
    ----
not sure what would be the best advice, always steared clear of Vista from day one it sounded to much like ME wich I also managed to avoid.

What I'd try is to backup the relevant data to an external drive and do a repair of it, if that doesn't work, then bite the bullet and do a re-install

#11: Re: vista help Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:54 am
    ----
- Bush
If all's well, save your important files, reformat and install a fresh version of 7. Welcome to Windows...

Contact me by PM if you need any extra help Bullet... Wink

#12: Re: vista help Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:21 pm
    ----
-S-

Shoot it with a Remington 1187 semi-auto 12 guage shotgun. I have one and they work great..!!

Hammer

#13: Re: vista help Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:55 pm
    ----
I don't use Vista either but wish I could advise, Bullet. I'm wondering if you have some anti-spyware software like Spybot running, it would naturally try to protect your system and registry from being updated in a manner consistent with a Service Pack upgrade. A good AntiVirus program would do the same. So update install issues like your are frequently cured by disabling the offending program that is trying to "protect" your system by barring entry of the update. However that's why you tried running in Safe mode, to eliminate any such extraneous background process. Still might be worth seeing if there's anything on the taskbar such as an AntiVirus or AntiSpyware program running that you can temporarily disable and try running the update again.

#14: Re: vista help Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:39 pm
    ----
Oh! Just wondering....how much free space is on the drive and has it been defragmented lately?

#15: Re: vista help Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:59 pm
    ----
Yep, it gets defraged at least once a week. I had a couple of people come over yesterday who know quite a bit about computers and we tried everything we could think of. Still no joy, so oh well......

Now I'm having this trouble again!!! Confused Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad

www.com-central.net/in...ic&t=13352

-> Software