Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#121: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:19 am
    ----
I received a photo of M51 Sherman at Overloon Museum.

Is it a new exhibit or a temporary exposition from a private collector from Netherlands ?

#122: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:28 am
    ----
- bialy-r

Is it a new exhibit or a temporary exposition from a private collector from Netherlands ?

When we visited Overloon with Walter and michel there were: M51, M18 and SWS, all from private collectors. I have pictures of all of them. I'll post on Flickr once I will have time.

Massimo

#123: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:22 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
- bialy-r

When we visited Overloon with Walter and michel there were: M51, M18 and SWS, all from private collectors. I have pictures of all of them. I'll post on Flickr once I will have time.

Massimo

Some weeks before the vist there was a military event with US vehicle's and the M18 was part of this event.
I think it waiting for picking up.

This MV event was organized by a MV group called "Santa Fe", they own the M51.
In a couple of weeks there will another military event about the cold war, I'm assuming the M51 will be part of this event.

Concerning the sWS, this vehicle belongs to a German privat collector and is on loan to the museum.

Michel

#124: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:33 pm
    ----
Trevor,

send you a mail with photo's of the Sherman located at Ede, however it bounced back because of file size.
Could you send me a mail or message, how we can fix this ?

Michel

#125: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:43 pm
    ----
- Michel_Krauss
Trevor,

send you a mail with photo's of the Sherman located at Ede, however it bounced back because of file size.
Could you send me a mail or message, how we can fix this ?

Michel

You could try splitting the photos up into multiple files, or perhaps use a transfer service (Lesley uses WeTransfer.com which seems to work fine, but there are many others like YouSendIt.com). Sorry it's causing you trouble!

#126: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:06 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti

M51 Super Sherman by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#127: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:17 pm
    ----
Massimo,

now you have seen one of the first Shermans (at Bovington), and one of the last (at Overloon) :

P-O

#128: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:23 pm
    ----
I am not that much of a Sherman fan, but I like the Israeli variants and I am glad I finally managed to see an M51 in person.

I have Latrun on my radar too... Maybe next year Smile

Massimo

#129: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:07 pm
    ----
I see they have Michael with the long barreled M3 gun, not the shorter M2 with counterweight (as initially delivered).

#130: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:41 pm
    ----
- Michel_Krauss
Some weeks before the vist there was a military event with US vehicle's and the M18 was part of this event.
I think it waiting for picking up.

Here it is:

M18 Hellcat by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#131: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:59 pm
    ----
- Costas_TT
I see they have Michael with the long barreled M3 gun, not the shorter M2 with counterweight (as initially delivered).

that's right, but apart from this, it is nearly in as-build condition. It still has the "pepperpot" type exhausts, the shut off valves on the engine deck, the two addition hull machine guns, the M3 Lee type suspension with overhead roller, the very early D50878 turret with the rotor sight. If I owned it, I would give it its original M2 main gun..

P-O

#132: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:32 pm
    ----
I agree it would have been better that way.

#133: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:55 pm
    ----
Updates. Ede: Lesley has sent me an early picture of Cougar, so I've added it:

UID 2351: Cougar, Ede

[img]http://preservedtanks.com/Albums/American/1340-M4%20%28105%29%20Sherman/FR_M4-105_Ede19xx0000_LKEDelsing_c.jpg[/img]

Groesbeek: Lesley has sent me some recent pictures of Robin Hood so I've added them. Also, he has pointed out a page on the museum website that says the tank was originally from the Portuguese Army so I've add that link to its profile page and the location to its map:

UID 2352: Robin Hood, Groesbeek

#134: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:50 am
    ----
The shop number stamped below the General Steel logo looks like "19".
[img]http://preservedtanks.com/Handler.ashx?PhotoID=8276&Size=L&Dir=~/Albums&File=IMG-5497_M4A1G_Groesbk_AArchive_c.jpg[/img]

what do you see?

P-O

#135: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:35 pm
    ----
Update - Groesbeek: Added pictures from Walter (thanks!):

UID 2352: Robin Hood, Groesbeek

- the_shadock
The shop number stamped below the General Steel logo looks like "19".
[img]http://preservedtanks.com/Handler.ashx?PhotoID=8276&Size=L&Dir=~/Albums&File=IMG-5497_M4A1G_Groesbk_AArchive_c.jpg[/img]

what do you see?

P-O

I think it's open to interpretation - under Serial Number I have written: “0?1?”, I couldn't make out anything more specific:

Last edited by TrevorLarkum on Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

-> AFV News Discussion Board