Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:57 pm
    ----
Those vehicles were all in a hall near the museum entrance. Now on to those in the main Marshall Collection hall.

Unique ID 1703: Overloon Challenger

Unique ID 1704: Overloon Archer

#17: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:35 pm
    ----
Unique ID 1705: Overloon Sexton

I did some research today and found out that the Challenger, Archer and Sexton came from a museum at Delfzijl so I have started to write it up:

Location ID 11370: Delfzijl Museum

If anyone has any additional information about this museum, and particularly photographs, I'd love to hear from you.

I also learnt about the fate of the crew of Jackal so I've added that information:

Unique ID 1702: Overloon Churchill "Jackal"

#18: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:15 am
    ----
Delfzijl museum had a Spitfire on its roof.
rnlafmodelingsite.come...e-Mk-9-H-8

This thread appears to show several items of armour (& other bits, there must be dozens of Pak43 "Barn Doors" on display in Europe!) that are displayed in Holland

www.buzzybeeforum.nl/v...w=previous

#19: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:51 am
    ----
I will try to get you some information about this museum, however because it's some time ago (no digital camera's or internet at the time) it could be difficult

Concerning the buzzybee forum, most topics are only open to registrated members (like me Mr. Green ) .

Michel

#20: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:29 am
    ----
On to the vehicles in the Marshall Collection:

Unique ID 1706: Overloon G13

#21: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:13 pm
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e

I'm not sure that that is the same museum - however, you encouraged me to delve a bit further and I have found a photograph that definitely is the right place as it has a Challenger tank in the background. I have added this photograph to the website and sent a link to the webmaster to check it's ok to use it, and to ask for further information on the museum (including whether it's the same one with the Spitfire).

- Michel_Krauss
I will try to get you some information about this museum, however because it's some time ago (no digital camera's or internet at the time) it could be difficult

Understood - anything you can find would appreciated, but I have enough now to complete the write-up, and I'll get back to doing the Marshall vehicles.

I have also added the photo to the Challenger's profile page.

[Latest Statistics for PTIN:
Locations: 6 -> 7
Tanks: 11 -> 15
Location Photos: 0 -> 1
Tank Photos: 145 -> 217]

#22: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:24 pm
    ----
German vehicles:

Unique ID 1707: Overloon Leopard

Unique ID 1708: Overloon Gepard

#23: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:39 pm
    ----
Did some research about hte musuem at Delfzijl

- TrevorLarkum
- Pzkpfw-e

I'm not sure that that is the same museum - however, you encouraged me to delve a bit further and I have found a photograph that definitely is the right place as it has a Challenger tank in the background. I have added this photograph to the website and sent a link to the webmaster to check it's ok to use it, and to ask for further information on the museum (including whether it's the same one with the Spitfire).

It is the same museum.
Original the Spitfire was placed at ground level in front of the museum, like in the picture.
However it was used by kids to play on it and in time parts dis-appeared, so they decided to move the Spitfire to the roof of the building to keep it safe.

- TrevorLarkum
- Michel_Krauss

Understood - anything you can find would appreciated, but I have enough now to complete the write-up, and I'll get back to doing the Marshall vehicles.

I could not find any more information about the museum.
Tried the old newspaper archive, moving tanks would be something to write about, however nothing to be found.

The only info found that at the same location is a new museum about sealife that uses several WW2 German bunkers that where part of the Atlantic wall in that region.

Apparently the climate conditions inside bunkers are very good for such a museum Confused

Michel

#24: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:52 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum

There are two red marked erea's at the glacis plate, both of them holding stamped markings.
The one at the left hand side can't be identified, however the one at the right hand side has the stamped marking "NL12340"
Picture of it available

Michel

Edit: I also have some picture's of the Saurer diesel engine of the G13 Jagdpanzer

#25: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:22 pm
    ----
Yep, that is the ''fahrgestellnummer''/serial number of the hull. the markings (12E) are from A-eskadron, 2e peloton, E-tank of A-coy, 2nd platoon, radiocallsign ''E'' which is the tank of the platoon sergeant.

Original the Leopard 1s were Leopard 1A1s baulos 4. The V (verbeterd - Improved) was a Dutch modification with indeed the extra armour what the A1A1 also had but the ''V'' had some specific Dutch ''improvements''. The V is also called ''Verprutst'' (Messed up) by some old Leopard 1 commanders instead of ''Verbeterd'' (improved) Mr. Green

The Leopard 1 preserved at Oirschot (KU-93-35) is since a long time gone. First to Soesterberg to make it ready for use as hard target (draining all the oil etc) and then to Vlieland as range target. When the army part on the range closed the remains of KU-93-35 were sold for scrap metal. This was an original tank from 11 Tkbat.

It was replaced by a Leopard 1V from a mobilization complex, serial 12367, r/n KU-93-65. At the moment it is still in front of the main building of 11th tank batallion but it is unknown if it remains here when 11th tkbat disband.

Regards,
Lesley

#26: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:21 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
- Pzkpfw-e

Yep, same Spitfire sitting behind the Challenger. Clipped-wings, LF MkIX.

#27: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:51 am
    ----
A brace of Shermans:

UID 1711: Overloon M4A4 on transporter

UID 1709: Overloon M4A2 (105) HVSS "Indefatigable Gerard"

[img]http://preservedtanks.com/Albums/American/1371-M4A2%20%28105%29%20HVSS%20Sherman/IMG-5837_M4A2-HVSS_Overloon_AArchive_c.jpg[/img]

UID 1710: Overloon M4A3 (105) HVSS "Harssens"/"Marbrig"

[img]http://preservedtanks.com/Albums/American/1372-M4A3%20%28105%29%20HVSS%20Sherman/IMG-5804_M4A3-HVSS_Overloon_AArchive_c.jpg[/img]

#28: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:23 am
    ----
- Michel_Krauss
Did some research about hte musuem at Delfzijl

It is the same museum.
Original the Spitfire was placed at ground level in front of the museum, like in the picture.
However it was used by kids to play on it and in time parts dis-appeared, so they decided to move the Spitfire to the roof of the building to keep it safe.

I could not find any more information about the museum.
Tried the old newspaper archive, moving tanks would be something to write about, however nothing to be found.

The only info found that at the same location is a new museum about sealife that uses several WW2 German bunkers that where part of the Atlantic wall in that region.

Apparently the climate conditions inside bunkers are very good for such a museum :?

- Pzkpfw-e
Yep, same Spitfire sitting behind the Challenger. Clipped-wings, LF MkIX.

Thanks guys - I've updated the entry (text, links, location and photo caption), let me know if there's anything else to add:

Location 11370: Oorlogsmuseum Delfzijl

#29: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:16 pm
    ----
Older shot of G13
www.flickr.com/photos/...3712350011

#30: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:26 pm
    ----
Overloon's Panther, as "found".
www.panther1944.de/com...=6&p=37541
The last commentator may be worth contacting, as he has photos from 1964.

-> AFV News Discussion Board