A nice video treat..."The Tanks Are Coming!"
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: A nice video treat..."The Tanks Are Coming!" Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:20 am
    ----
Parts I and II, complete. 1941 propaganda film, but it's in color with great views of M2's and Ft. Knox. I first saw this years ago and have been looking for it ever since.

SEE!....

Tanker radio training!
Tank driving school!
Engine diagnostics!
Gunnery platforms...early tank gunnery simulator with 37mm! (Hint..they don't call them "wobbly plates" for nothing...)
M3 Scout Cars firing water-cooled .30 cals!
Training in "doughboy" helmets!

...and much, much more!

I didn't train on the M1 Abrams, but I'm sure it was just like this... Wink

You have to endure a little flag waving at the beginning, and a hokey story line of the cab driver finding himself in the tank corps, but that's 1941 for ya' (it pre-dates Pearl Harbor).

Extra points for every point around Ft. Knox that you can identify...(Don, no cheating and revealing that installation in Pt. II at 2:41!) Laughing

www.youtube.com/watch?...re=related

www.youtube.com/watch?...re=related

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:41 am; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: A nice video treat..."The Tanks Are Coming!" Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:29 am
    ----
Got the video and love it!!!! Especially the M36 as a German Panther tank.

- Jeff

#3: Re: A nice video treat..."The Tanks Are Coming!" Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:31 am
    ----
- JeffStringer
Got the video and love it!!!! Especially the M36 as a German Panther tank.

- Jeff

That's the one we gave to the French that turned up in Vietnam. Wink

#4: Re: A nice video treat..."The Tanks Are Coming!" Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:15 pm
    ----
Doug

Thanks for the links. This movie used to play on a monitor in the 'Inner War' gallery in the Museum.

Oh and 'that' scene,.....I swear I see a young 'Pvt Kibby' leaping onto one of those tanks, in the future ,___________ Motor Pool. Laughing

Regards
Don

#5: Re: A nice video treat..."The Tanks Are Coming!" Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:43 pm
    ----
Wow, I never saw this in color before - thanks!

OK, it's not cheating for me ... Heard Motor Park, currently TMP, used to be the Armor and Engineer Board, also 76th HEM Co. Smile

I took this pic the other day for an entirely different reason. It's looking the other way, but it's about the only part of those buildings that still looks like that.

Geoff

#6: Re: A nice video treat..."The Tanks Are Coming!" Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:26 pm
    ----
- Geoff_walden
Wow, I never saw this in color before - thanks!

OK, it's not cheating for me ... Heard Motor Park, currently TMP, used to be the Armor and Engineer Board, also 76th HEM Co. Smile

Geoff

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

Actually, Geoff...if you look at pics of Heard over the years (and by that I mean like 60-70 years) it's amazing how little has changed. Sure, the sheds become more substantial (just addons), the dirt get concreted over, etc., but the essence of the place is immediately identifiable through uncounted images out of Hunnicutt volumes and official test project photos. The Army is not very imaginative about where and how it poses it's subjects over decades and I have lost count of the number of vehicles positioned against the ends of those buildings for official photos. I have a couple that I illicitly took myself while there that are dead ringers for angle to ones that are featured in Hunnicutt tomes...so I guess I'm not that imaginative either. Rolling Eyes
Those shots along the river-cut stone were also popular venues for test project images..among other places.

What few formations we had (once a week, on Monday AM just to assess the losses over the weekend) were in that same spot(s) between two buildings...generally the two most NE, as the Field Support Office was in the most NE building (closest to the hospital).

-> AFV News Discussion Board