Preserved vehicles in Caracas, Venezuela
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Preserved vehicles in Caracas, Venezuela Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:39 pm
    ----
forum.axishistory.com/...2&t=129335

An interesting mix of French & American afvs, guns & soft skins.

#2: Re: Preserved vehicles in Caracas, Venezuela Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:58 pm
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=129335

The comments to the effect of the AMX mounting a Panther gun were most illuminating.

#3: Re: Preserved vehicles in Caracas, Venezuela Author: Smashy PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:10 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Pzkpfw-e

The comments to the effect of the AMX mounting a Panther gun were most illuminating.

Not as interesting as the names of the children...

#4: Re: Preserved vehicles in Caracas, Venezuela Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:53 pm
    ----
well, there is nothing shocking in naming children "Wilhelm" and "Magdalena" Rolling Eyes

P-O

#5: Re: Preserved vehicles in Caracas, Venezuela Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:14 pm
    ----
I like the 5-ton with what looks like the turret from an M-42 Duster...one hell of a gun truck!

#6: Re: Preserved vehicles in Caracas, Venezuela Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:04 pm
    ----
- Smashy

Not as interesting as the names of the children...

I had to go back to see what you were talking about. That is disturbing.

I wonder what they go by, casually?

#7: Re: Preserved vehicles in Caracas, Venezuela Author: P_J_SMITH PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:22 pm
    ----
The first German immigration to Venezuela was in the early 1500s.

Currently, Venezuela has a very large number of some 50,000 ethnic Germans, many being descendants of Germans who settled there in the 1840s. Some use a German dialect that is distinct from "standard" German to the point of the different dialect speakers being unintelligible to each other.

So, Magdalena and Wilhelm are really not unique names for there. Magdalena has a number of variations including Lena or Lina depending on the continent. I had a great-aunt named Magdalena, whom we called Lina.

Who can forget the flawed Lina Lemont in SINGING IN THE RAIN?

Wilhelm is also the inspiration for naming Little Willy in Britain during WWI. Which ties us back to the AFVs.

#8: Re: Preserved vehicles in Caracas, Venezuela Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:18 pm
    ----
- P_J_SMITH
The first German immigration to Venezuela was in the early 1500s.

Currently, Venezuela has a very large number of some 50,000 ethnic Germans, many being descendants of Germans who settled there in the 1840s. Some use a German dialect that is distinct from "standard" German to the point of the different dialect speakers being unintelligible to each other.

So, Magdalena and Wilhelm are really not unique names for there. Magdalena has a number of variations including Lena or Lina depending on the continent. I had a great-aunt named Magdalena, whom we called Lina.

Who can forget the flawed Lina Lemont in SINGING IN THE RAIN?

Wilhelm is also the inspiration for naming Little Willy in Britain during WWI. Which ties us back to the AFVs.

You might want to take a closer read at the link. I don't think "Wilhelm" and "Magdalena" are really the issue here. Wink

I missed it the first read over myself.....

#9: Re: Preserved vehicles in Caracas, Venezuela Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:31 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Pzkpfw-e

The AMX-13 didn't use a "Panther gun". It used a 75MM gun the French developed from the German 75MM used in the Panthet. In a strange twist of fate it was later used by the IDF in the M-50 Sherman.

I like the 5-ton with what looks like the turret from an M-42 Duster...one hell of a gun truck!

It's not a 5 ton, it's a M35 2 1/2 ton.

#10: Re: Preserved vehicles in Caracas, Venezuela Author: clausb PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:29 am
    ----
- tanker2010
The AMX-13 didn't use a "Panther gun". It used a 75MM gun the French developed from the German 75MM used in the Panthet. In a strange twist of fate it was later used by the IDF in the M-50 Sherman.

AFAIK, it was the performance of the Panther gun, that was the starting point for the development of the French 75mm SA50 gun used in the AMX-13. Not sure if the actual gun design was used as a basis for development and one may wonder how much "Panther gun" was actually left, once it was installed in the AMX-13?

There seems to be quite a few differences in the designs, for example:

- The German 7,5cm KwK 42 used a 75mm x 640mm cartridge case with a rim diameter of 122mm. The AMX used a 75mm x 597mm cartridge case with a rim diameter of 117.

- The German gun had a calibers length of 70, the French gun was L/62.

Does anyone have more detail on the French gun for comparison?

#11: Re: Preserved vehicles in Caracas, Venezuela Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:05 pm
    ----

It's not a 5 ton, it's a M35 2 1/2 ton.

I'm not that great on ID'ing soft skins. Thought it could be a 2 1/2 ton, but figured it may be too light a chassis for the turret. Is the turret in fact from an M-42?

#12: Re: Preserved vehicles in Caracas, Venezuela Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:15 pm
    ----
Looks very much like one.

#13: Re: Preserved vehicles in Caracas, Venezuela Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:30 am
    ----
- Tanklord

www.fav-club.com/index...;Itemid=22

#14: Re: Preserved vehicles in Caracas, Venezuela Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:57 am
    ----
- bialy-r
- Tanklord

www.fav-club.com/index...;Itemid=22

Thank you very much Bialy! I have a couple of Duster kits that I can now use to make these vehicles.

-> AFV News Discussion Board