Interesting image
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Interesting image Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:38 am
    ----
As always its the vehicles in the background that turn out to be a bit more interesting than the main subject..

#2: Re: Interesting image Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:57 am
    ----
A gun tractor M4A4?? I would think some kind of engineering or recovery vehicle but I don't see any winch, jib or PTO gear

The Ram is interesting too. Looks like a Ram II (I'm guessing that is a 6pdr gun from the size) but the tool boxes on the back look tall enough that they would block rotation to the 7 o'clock position (and it appears that the storage box at the back of the turret would also be blocked but I'm not sure that it is actually attached to the turret. That makes me wonder if that is a fake gun and the Ram is some type of recovery or Command vehicle with a fixed turret

DO you have any idea when and where the picture was taken?

#3: Re: Interesting image Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:05 pm
    ----
Its a RAM ARV Mk I - the gun is a dummy.

#4: Re: Interesting image Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:07 pm
    ----
- bsmart
A gun tractor M4A4?? I would think some kind of engineering or recovery vehicle but I don't see any winch, jib or PTO gear

It's a toss-up between a Gun Tractor and a Kangaroo I suspect!

#5: Re: Interesting image Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:09 pm
    ----
- bsmart

Aborfield, Uk, 23 April 1943.

#6: Re: Interesting image Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:23 am
    ----
It's a toss-up between a Gun Tractor and a Kangaroo I suspect!

Since they didn't use the M4A4 for either, it's more than likely a Sherman V ARV. Mk.I.

Edit. After enlarging the pic and looking at it, I'd say it is for sure it's an ARV Mk.I.

#7: Re: Interesting image Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
- bsmart

Aborfield, Uk, 23 April 1943.

What was the function of Aborfield? Since the other two vehicles appear to be recovery vehicles it woul follow that if Aborfield was a test and training site for REME (They handle that task in the British Army don't they) than the Sherman is also a recovery vehicle. That early it may not have all the standard features because things were still being worked out

#8: Re: Interesting image Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:16 pm
    ----
The Sherman also appears to have grousers or something odd fitted on its tracks. Are they standard?

I know that the RA trialled Shermans as 17 pdr gun tractors during the war but as this is Aborfield it isn't like;y to be involved in that.

Tim,

#9: Re: Interesting image Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:57 pm
    ----
- tanker2010
After enlarging the pic and looking at it, I'd say it is for sure it's an ARV Mk.I.

Strange assumption as the image is dated 6 months after the introduction into service of the production ARV Mark 1 and it lacks all the relevant fittings.

#10: Re: Interesting image Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:06 pm
    ----
- TimRoyall
I know that the RA trialled Shermans as 17 pdr gun tractors during the war but as this is Aborfield it isn't like;y to be involved in that.

Tim,

Not quite true as an example of every vehicle type the army possessed passed through Aborfield during the war so that they could write the manuals on repairing them.

-> AFV News Discussion Board