Hammers new .45 acp
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#1: Hammers new .45 acp Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:32 pm
    ----
-S-

Got my new Norinco .45 acp, paid $350.00 cdn for it.
Took it down to my gun club and it worked great..!!!

Here is the link to my quick review..

www.youtube.com/user/4...9oJc0loKn0

Test firing...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AfbOtPccqk

I was a bit concerned about the Norinco mags so I ordered in two Chip McCormick Shooting Star mags.

The Norinco mags worked flawless and the Chip McCormick mags would only lock the slide back half the time when empty. They need a little tweeking on the lower follower plate.

I am going to use my new .45 for Cowboy Action shooting, Wild Bunch, my favorite shooting sport, and I.P.S.C. shooting in the new year.
If you would like to see cowboy action shooting..check out my channel for videos.

All in all ..I am very happy with this gun as it worked great out of the box.
Would of been nice to picked up a Colt or S&W..but out of my price range.
Actually..if I had the cash, this is what I would of bought..

www.theammosource.com/...ts_id=1225

Click the immage to get a better look at this work of art.

Hammer Smile Cool Smile Cool Smile

#2: Re: Hammers new .45 acp Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:29 am
    ----
Sweet. Nice 1911, at a good price too. Do you know how it compares to a Rock Island 1911.
Mr. Green Mr. Green

Too bad ya'll have to get all that paperwork just to carry your weapons to the range Confused

#3: Re: Hammers new .45 acp Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:45 pm
    ----
What's it mean, "take the magazine oot"? Laughing

Jes' kidding. Looks like a nice piece with decent sights. Will you leave the finger groove Pachmayr-lookin' grips on there or put something "period" on it for SASS?

How's your rendition of "Shall We Gather At the River?" Will we be seeing that on Youtube? Wink

#4: Re: Hammers new .45 acp Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:20 pm
    ----
-S-

Never fired a Rock Island .45 although I would like to try one. I would love to fire the 100 th an. S&W.

As for the grips..I will change them out to the regular period grips for SASS matches. I like the Pachmayr for shooting as they give you a firm grip on the firearm. They look nice too.

Hammer

#5: Re: Hammers new .45 acp Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:03 am
    ----
Not knowing anything about it, I had a look at the rules. Is your extended beavertail grip safety and hammer spur going to be legal? How about the forward slide cocking grooves? Those guys seem pretty strict about period appearance. I can't see your sights that well, but do they have any dots or other enhancements?

"Only standard grip safeties. No beavertail style grip safeties"

"Standard spur type hammer only"

www.sassnet.com/wildbu...%204.2.pdf

#6: Re: Hammers new .45 acp Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:17 pm
    ----
-S-

You are correct Ascout. I use my .45 for "in club matches", where it is allowed. If I participate in a National or International match, held in Michigan at the end of summer, I will borrow a club members .45 that is to specs.

My club also allows 9mm 1911s to be used, for the women mostly but if I had gotten a 9mm to practice with..in a compitition a .45 reacts different.

I was pondering getting a 9mm, Norinco copy of a CZ, for the IPSC Black Badge course but I decided on the .45 1911a1. Cant afford two pistols.

I have always liked the .45..glad I got one..a bit of history. I use to shoot Browning 9mm when I was a kid in the army but the .45 is fun.

Next on the list is the model 1897 pump shotgun.

Hammer

#7: Re: Hammers new .45 acp Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:54 pm
    ----
- 401RCAF_Hammer
-S-

You are correct Ascout. I use my .45 for "in club matches", where it is allowed. If I participate in a National or International match, held in Michigan at the end of summer, I will borrow a club members .45 that is to specs.

My club also allows 9mm 1911s to be used, for the women mostly but if I had gotten a 9mm to practice with..in a compitition a .45 reacts different.

I was pondering getting a 9mm, Norinco copy of a CZ, for the IPSC Black Badge course but I decided on the .45 1911a1. Cant afford two pistols.

I have always liked the .45..glad I got one..a bit of history. I use to shoot Browning 9mm when I was a kid in the army but the .45 is fun.

Next on the list is the model 1897 pump shotgun.

Hammer

Good man, buying into 1911 lore makes you an honorary yank. Laughing

I didn't think they'd allow a 9mm in SASS...they seem to be pretty strict about the power factor (I notice the rules say they chrono rounds at match end, and one can be DQ'd by falling short of the 150 PF). By the time you speed up a 9mm to the min. PF, you might as well be shooting a .45

Good luck!

(Below is the paperwork that came, mistakenly, with my 1971 Mk. IV Series '70 .45 1911)

My Colt and Kimber .45's together for size comparison.

#8: Re: Hammers new .45 acp Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:59 am
    ----
-S-

You are right about the power factor, I think it cannot be above 400. The other factor is that we are allowed a max. of 700 fps for the bullet. Most reload to get the correct drams of powder as we are shooting at metal plates and dont want our bullets bouncing back..lol.., its also much cheaper reloading considering that in a match I will shoot 86 rounds of ammo, 80 x .357 and 16 x shotgun, 12 guage 7.5 birdshot.

If I shoot " Wild Bunch " then I go through 40 x .45acp, 40 x .357 (in the Uberti model 1873 leaveraction) and 16 x 12 guage shotgun. Lots of fun..!! Its a great day out as the people are fantastic and we have a big BBQ at the end of the match. This sport is becoming very popular at my club.

Nice pistols you have there btw. Kimbers are very expensive up here. I would have to sell a testicle to get one. Want to buy a ball..?
Here is the 9mm version of the Norinco 1911 in Canada..

www.theammosource.com/...ts_id=1038

#9: Re: Hammers new .45 acp Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:25 pm
    ----
- 401RCAF_Hammer
-S-

Nice pistols you have there btw. Kimbers are very expensive up here. I would have to sell a testicle to get one. Want to buy a ball..?
Here is the 9mm version of the Norinco 1911 in Canada..

www.theammosource.com/...ts_id=1038

Kimber's ain't cheap here, either. Laughing I gave up my former carry gun, a Colt M1991 Compact (basically a 1911 Officer's Model with a Parkerized finish) plus some cash to take it home. The reward is that it is the best out-of-box new auto I've ever had. From round one, it digested 6 of 7 commercial loads and all three of my handloads with no failures (it doesn't like MagTech, but then again, neither do I...it's cheap, smokey ammo) during break-in. Least fastidious .45 I've ever seen, so that money does buy you something. (And it's only 25 oz. unloaded, which is important if you carry)

#10: Re: Hammers new .45 acp Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:32 am
    ----
I thought this was a neat video of a man and his pea shooter

www.wimp.com/toogood/

#11: Re: Hammers new .45 acp Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:17 pm
    ----
- JG300-1Bullet
I thought this was a neat video of a man and his pea shooter

www.wimp.com/toogood/

His first round hit probability is outstanding at 15 feet, but he's at a real disadvantage on the follow-up shot, in the unlikely event one is needed. Laughing

#12: Re: Hammers new .45 acp Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:31 pm
    ----
Sounded like a nice old guy.

#13: Re: Hammers new .45 acp Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:15 pm
    ----
-S-

Can he make one in semi-auto..?

Hammer Smile Cool Smile Cool

#14: Re: Hammers new .45 acp Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:31 pm
    ----
-S-

Hey Ascout..have you ever checked out this 1911..? More expensive than a Kimber but probably worth it..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyFLxSWfbIc

and of course, a custom holster. Watch to the end to hear how excited the guy is about his new holster..LOL..@ 8:34 he lays it out...lol.." do you know when you got harry...."...lol...

www.youtube.com/watch?...er&list=UL

#15: Re: Hammers new .45 acp Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:54 pm
    ----
- 401RCAF_Hammer
-S-

Hey Ascout..have you ever checked out this 1911..? More expensive than a Kimber but probably worth it..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyFLxSWfbIc

and of course, a custom holster. Watch to the end to hear how excited the guy is about his new holster..LOL..@ 8:34 he lays it out...lol.." do you know when you got harry...."...lol...

www.youtube.com/watch?...mp;list=UL

I've shot Ed Brown's and Les Baer's. They are both nice, but inexplicably, both required considerable break-in to be reliable with a range of ammo. I find that unacceptable (basically, the tolerances are so tight, the owner has to "finish" the machining process by "other means". My Kimber digested 10 of 11 types of ammo without a hiccup out of box (including 3 of my handloads). At 3", I'm not looking at match grade accuracy of course, but it astounded my CCW instructor, who is former FBI and still with state investigation.

I have in mind to produce some 1911's myself in limited numbers (need to finish an addition to house to undertake that) which will eliminate the need for that process (let's just say I have some "ideas"). Will likely use Les Baer frames and possibly slides. Think the new Springfield Armory Ranger Officer for configuration, but more "finished" (they are rough, out of box). Would probably incorporate Millet sights and coating finish. Hope to turn out a prototype within the year, since I have the supply side worked out. I'd be doing full size (5") only.

-> Officer's Club