Ascout has a new fun!
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#1: Ascout has a new fun! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:44 pm
    ----
This game has been out for years, and I had an original copy that didn't load on two of my computers...something faulty with disc, I think.

Lately, I checked up and it seems it has a cult following with lots of player support because it has no real competition. The good news is that you can download a demo for free and play indefinitely...however I'm hooked and will be be getting the whole game, plus a steering wheel, pedal setup. It's freakin' great.

Based on the classic 1967 year (with courses conforming to that era), "Grand Prix Legends" is the most fun I've had with a game in years. I just have the demo now, which includes only Watkins Glen ca. 1967 (the "fast" course) but that's plenty for now. Detail is great and the sound is stunning if you have some decent speakers Screaming Cosworth Ford DFV's, Honda's, Ferraris, etc. There are a lot of videos on Youtube, but the visual detail does not do justice. Here are some screen shots that better capture the experience. Beauty is that you can save all races, view from numerous camera angles, and from any other driver's car...so you can see how much fun you're having with your big passes and lurid slides...and there are some really lurid slides.

Don't expect to master this beast in a day or two, and playing with a joystick is tough, but I'm doing it for now. Don't be discouraged...it took me hours to make it through 3 turns in the actual race scenario with other traffic (you get practice laps, too)

If you don't have fun with this, you ain't normal!

Get if free (demo version) here:

www.gamershell.com/dow...6101.shtml

I can't wait to get the whole array of circuits, but Watkins Glen will keep you occupied for a while. Wink

www.gamershell.com/dow...6101.shtml

Ascout (#4 Lotus) starts out at back of pack, but moves up quickly through the esses...on the tail of Bandini's Ferrari. A Cooper/BRM (I think) stalks me in the mirror.

Ascout pressures L. Bandini's Ferrari 312 after the east straight...

Ascout feels the heat of pressure from John Surtees in the Honda..

Surtees' view of Ascout down the West straight...

Ascout almost succumbs to pressure from Surtees and gets into a lurid slide at the end of the straignt...fights to correct....

..and I mean lurid. McClaren leads the sideways Ascout, who fends of the white Honda of John Surtees...

..but in a brilliant display of driving skill, Ascout gathers it all together and fends off Surtees charge without losing any positions....

...and in a switch of camera view to McClarens car, ol' Bruce feels the heat of Ascout forcing the issue to the inside. The pass was successful, but McClaren overtook again when Ascout made a stupid mistake and spun out at Big Bend. At least living to tell the tale and with no damage to the car. I finished, but gave up several positions. Evil or Very Mad

#2: Re: Ascout has a new fun! Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:03 am
    ----
Woohoooo!!!! I can smell the burnt rubber and spent fuel already!

Nice screenshots too BTW!!

Heading to download.....in a much different genre I have also been looking for a decent drag racing game...

#3: Re: Ascout has a new fun! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:33 am
    ----
Half the fun is getting in some decent laps (or even a whole race) and then playing iback in multiple camera views to witness the action and the noise. I confess to having deliberately sacrificed good lap times for an impressive drift or "accidental" rubbing of a competitor to see if I could spin him out. Gentle taps from the rear and such, though it can backfire badly.

So far, best lap time is 1:17, which is ten seconds behind the lap record (Clark, at 1:07) Qualifying is important, as you get a better start position. I find that I can usually pass 2-3 cars into the esses (just beyond the start line) and maybe two more down the east straight. That's almost half the field...then....it gets a lot more difficult. 'Dem 'bots don't make a lot of mistakes (but aren't as fast through the curves as a human...get on throttle early).

There is a multiplayer mode I haven't tried, may only come with full game. Imagine the potential!
Car setup is imprtant...I recommend starting with auto shifting and braking...then set up a brake key, which will help lap times. Wink

#4: Re: Ascout has a new fun! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:46 am
    ----
The real Glen in '67. And you can expect to spin out as much as these guys.

Watch them for pulling the weeds out of the front of Stewart's car...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf6RNZ9PYFA

Oh...and watch out for Richie. For some reason, he insists on trying to occupy the same space as I am. This did not end well. Rolling Eyes
I have the racing line and I'm trying to turn right out of his imperialist hegemony...what else can I do?

#5: Re: Ascout has a new fun! Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:39 pm
    ----
WOW..that does look like fun! I'm going to DL the demo and give 'er a spin'... (I love puns.. )

#6: Re: Ascout has a new fun! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:17 pm
    ----
Have a new "best lap" of 1:13:60 which is just six seconds off the standing record of 1:07 by Jimmy Clark (real world and in game). That's using joystick controls.

GPL has several forums...I will be finding out the best recommendation is for controller gear.

#7: Re: Ascout has a new fun! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:55 pm
    ----
Exciting moments in motorsports....pucker factor 10 or 10. I actually got through this incident, which took out three cars.

#8: Re: Ascout has a new fun! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:02 pm
    ----
My engine crapped out on me completely and I had to view playback to see what, if anything, had caused it. Think I found it... Rolling Eyes

#9: Re: Ascout has a new fun! Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:56 pm
    ----
-S-

Looks like a great game..does Track IR work with it..?

Hammer

#10: Re: Ascout has a new fun! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:12 pm
    ----
- 401RCAF_Hammer
-S-

Looks like a great game..does Track IR work with it..?

Hammer

No idea, but why would you want to? I guarantee you won't have time to look anywhere except straight ahead all the time. Laughing (even glances in the mirror are hazardous). You get to see everything you want to, from every angle, during replay.

Get the free download and try it. Be advised, it has a near vertical learning curve and hot laps in practice don't mean squat (except for starting position) once you race and have traffic to contend with. Shocked

THIS GUY did an incredible 1:03 lap...in high definition...watch in full screen. Best I've done is a 1:09, but that's with a Saitek 52 joystick. (best finish has been 5th out of 13...a solid "mid-pack" performance). He's running a two year later car ('69 BRM...and that year saw wings and downforce...ergo his braking points are WAY later than anything i can get away with) and I'm running the dead stock '67 Lotus 49, no wing) I need a system with better throttle control and a real wheel like the trick setup he's got listed.

#11: Re: Ascout has a new fun! Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:47 am
    ----
Looks way cool...but where's the minigun and rocket pods?

Seriously though, will have to check this out.

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum