2 Shermans one on Peleliu the other on Ngesebus
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: 2 Shermans one on Peleliu the other on Ngesebus Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:10 pm
    ----
pics over here, for whatever reason I can't seem to post pics here..

click here

#2: Re: 2 Shermans one on Peleliu the other on Ngesebus Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:31 pm
    ----
What is this thing?

#3: Re: 2 Shermans one on Peleliu the other on Ngesebus Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:43 pm
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
What is this thing?

this is an M76 Otter

P-O

#4: Re: 2 Shermans one on Peleliu the other on Ngesebus Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:01 pm
    ----
I'm puzzled by the failure of the photobucket link. Mine are posting just fine and that's the host I use. Are you using the right "copy" function? Mine has a different syntax than yours.

Unrelated photo for test (from photobucket)

#5: Re: 2 Shermans one on Peleliu the other on Ngesebus Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:06 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
I'm puzzled by the failure of the photobucket link. Mine are posting just fine and that's the host I use. Are you using the right "copy" function? Mine has a different syntax than yours.

Unrelated photo for test (from photobucket)

I think that this is because the URL contains "%20" (that's a blank space in the URL).

P-O

#6: Re: 2 Shermans one on Peleliu the other on Ngesebus Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:03 pm
    ----
I used this code, the IMG code, never had any trouble before...

it seems to work at the other site......I have no idea

#7: Re: 2 Shermans one on Peleliu the other on Ngesebus Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:06 pm
    ----
- armyjunk2
I used this code, the IMG code, never had any trouble before...

it seems to work at the other site......I have no idea

Same problem discussed before - spaces in links are allowed on other sites, and on this one until at least November, but not on this one any more:

www.com-central.net/in...499#106499

#8: Re: 2 Shermans one on Peleliu the other on Ngesebus Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:38 pm
    ----
thanks Trever, I guess I don't understand, i don't get where the spaces are. not very computer smart here..I'll try to figure it out or just post over there..

#9: Re: 2 Shermans one on Peleliu the other on Ngesebus Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:13 am
    ----
The issue of spaces in filenames has been discussed in another thread. For reasons of security (among others), the management of the servers on which C-C resides have chosen to disallow filenames with spaces in them...it is neither our call nor that of the admins here. Spaces in filenames generally are not recommended for reasons that need not be gone into here in detail. A simple "Google" of the phrase "spaces in filenames" should be enough to convince viewers that "that's the way I've always done it" is not really a sufficient reason to continue the practice.

We have had other issues in the last day or two leading to slow loading times...this is being addressed through channels.

#10: Re: 2 Shermans one on Peleliu the other on Ngesebus Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:55 am
    ----

does that have spaces in it?

#11: Re: 2 Shermans one on Peleliu the other on Ngesebus Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:07 am
    ----
- armyjunk2

does that have spaces in it?

%20 = "space". so, yes, it has several spaces in it.

See this ASCII to URL encoding reference:

www.w3schools.com/tags...encode.asp

For those whose dilemma is that they've used a lot of spaces over time and it's tedious to change, try the suggestion in this post:

www.webmasterworld.com...10/466.htm

...the post by "msgraph" that refers to nameWiz.
You will several other good suggestions further down that page.

#12: Re: 2 Shermans one on Peleliu the other on Ngesebus Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:38 am
    ----
thank you I will read that and try to understand it

#13: Re: 2 Shermans one on Peleliu the other on Ngesebus Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:13 pm
    ----
Hey AJ2 -

You really do get around!! It's great that you've traveled to so many unusual destinations. Wish we could tag along on some of your trips - other than vicariously!

Cheers,
VB

#14: Re: 2 Shermans one on Peleliu the other on Ngesebus Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:46 pm
    ----
Folks always welcome to come along..................

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:56 am; edited 2 times in total

#15: Re: 2 Shermans one on Peleliu the other on Ngesebus Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:10 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
The issue of spaces in filenames has been discussed in another thread. For reasons of security (among others), the management of the servers on which C-C resides have chosen to disallow filenames with spaces in them...it is neither our call nor that of the admins here. Spaces in filenames generally are not recommended for reasons that need not be gone into here in detail. A simple "Google" of the phrase "spaces in filenames" should be enough to convince viewers that "that's the way I've always done it" is not really a sufficient reason to continue the practice.

It's important to distinguish between spaces in filenames and spaces in folder names. No-one is suggesting that spaces in filenames is a good idea. However, spaces in folder names is very common, and AJ's link is a typical example of that. The photos on my website are in folders by tank name, e.g /M4 Sherman/ or /M41 Walker Bulldog/ because that is how the tank name is written and the photos are found automatically from the tank name. I wouldn't want to start naming tanks M4_Sherman or M41_Walker_Bulldog just to fix this problem which only seems to occur on this website and only recently.

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to clarify the exact issue. This change means that retrospectively many images in past threads will no longer display even though they are still valid, and we all know the frustration of looking through a thread where the pictures being described no longer display.

-> AFV News Discussion Board