LT-H, aka as Pz 39 or "Praga Panzer"
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: LT-H, aka as Pz 39 or "Praga Panzer" Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:20 am
    ----
Some interesting news on these Czech-build, Swiss tanks. Out of 24 build, 9 survived, one is in Sinsheim, 8 are in Switzerland, either inside museums or as monuments inside military barracks. Half of these tanks used gasoline engines, the other half, diesel.
On Trevor's website you can see info, pictures and locations of them:
preservedtanks.com/Typ...ryId=25600

So far 3 of these tanks has been running:

- Schaffausen. Gasoline engine
- Thun SHP. Diesel engine
- Full. Modern, non-original engine

In Schaffausen there is a spare gasoline engine, that will go to Stiftung HAM will also get a tank that has been used as monuments inside Thun's barracks:
preservedtanks.com/Pro...queID=1211

It remains to be seen if such a tank could runs once again, I have no idea of its internal status, having an engine is a good starting point, but transmission, final drive and all the rest matter too.
Anyway, Stiftung HAM will fill an important gap in their collection and a tank that has been sitting in the open will go indoor and get some restoration work.

Another interesting news is that the Swiss Army has a spare diesel engine, that will go to Full. Hopefully they will be able to use it for their tank, to make it run on an original engine, not a modern one.

In Lesany Patrick asked if one of these could be recovered by Czech Republic, just like it's happening for the Peruvian LT-P. In my, very personal opinion, only the two tanks in Bure and the one in Vugelles could be available if Czech authorities will ask for them (all of them are most likely just empty shells). Lesany has done a good job on the LT-35 and AH-IV Sv, hope they get in contact with the Swiss Army and give it a try too.

Massimo

#2: Re: LT-H, aka as Pz 39 or "Praga Panzer" Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:22 pm
    ----
thanks for all the information, Massimo.

P-O

#3: Re: LT-H, aka as Pz 39 or "Praga Panzer" Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:26 pm
    ----
Dear Friends,
June 24, 2016 arrived at the museum in Lešany long-awaited Swiss Panzerwagen 39. The accompanying photographs allowed me to some observations:

Imported Pzw.39 has a serial number: 21 - this means that it was built in Switzerland from imported parts.
Pzw.39 is armed with 24 mm cannon Pzw-K.38, with serial number: 30 - and was made Waffenfabrik Bern.
Pzw.39 - was imported without a diesel engine Saurer CT1D 120 HP (90 kW).

It is not known the extent of the announced reconstruction.

Photos from the official handover of the tank: Left deputy of VHU Paul Loffler and right side representative of Switzerland Pascal Mouther.

#4: Re: LT-H, aka as Pz 39 or "Praga Panzer" Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:27 pm
    ----

#5: Re: LT-H, aka as Pz 39 or "Praga Panzer" Author: zemsiLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:27 pm
    ----
That is great news. Thanks for the update and pics.

#6: Re: LT-H, aka as Pz 39 or "Praga Panzer" Author: zemsiLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:21 am
    ----
Do they know the former Swiss military registration number.? M+7xxx

#7: Re: LT-H, aka as Pz 39 or "Praga Panzer" Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:08 pm
    ----

#8: Re: LT-H, aka as Pz 39 or "Praga Panzer" Author: zemsiLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:34 am
    ----
... hmm thats not the original number when put in service. Should be around M+7511 to M+7574

#9: Re: LT-H, aka as Pz 39 or "Praga Panzer" Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:49 am
    ----
As Chris noted, that number seems wrong, it contains an extra digit.

The number was the same back when it was sitting outdoor in Thun:
preservedtanks.com/Pro...queID=1211

Unfortunately I have no info or pictures that date before 2010

#10: Re: LT-H, aka as Pz 39 or "Praga Panzer" Author: zemsiLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:19 am
    ----
Think we discussed that before. However since then I did some more research for the book I was writing with 2 collegues. I'm away for holidays but can check my documents later now that we've got the chassis number

#11: Re: LT-H, aka as Pz 39 or "Praga Panzer" Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:16 am
    ----
Dear Sirs,
now I got the news that Czech Military Museum is looking for original diesel engine Saurer CT1D. I have a question, it is in Switzerland or elsewhere to buy?

Last edited by JiriTintera on Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

#12: Re: LT-H, aka as Pz 39 or "Praga Panzer" Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:07 pm
    ----
good luck with your research, I wish you all the best. Did you find an engine for the LTP ?

Pierre-Olivier

#13: Re: LT-H, aka as Pz 39 or "Praga Panzer" Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:23 pm
    ----
Yes, the engine was found in Sweden. Now will be a tender for reconstruction.

#14: Re: LT-H, aka as Pz 39 or "Praga Panzer" Author: Alf_AdamsLocation: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:41 am
    ----
I photographed what I assume is the same vehicle in Thun in 1979. Here is a link to the photo. s698.photobucket.com/u...8.jpg.html The number on it at that time was M7553, which seems to fit. Hope this helps.

Alf Adams

#15: Re: LT-H, aka as Pz 39 or "Praga Panzer" Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:09 am
    ----
Sorry Alf, that's another tank and it's still in Thun

Massimo

-> AFV News Discussion Board