Swiss prototype tank: Pz.68 Erprobungsträger
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Swiss prototype tank: Pz.68 Erprobungsträger Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:30 pm
    ----
Dear Sirs,
I turn to you for help. I am interested for technical and historical information about the Swiss prototype tank: Pz.68 Erprobungsträger.

Note
Photographs taken from www.atlantikwall-resea...thard.html

#2: Re: Swiss prototype tank: Pz.68 Erprobungsträger Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:08 pm
    ----
Additional pictures:

Pz 68 Erprobungsträger M-0911 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

Pz 68 Erprobungsträger M-0911 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

As I said already to Jira, I don't have any additional information either. Apart from the fact it was an attempt to upgrade the Pz 68

Massimo

#3: Re: Swiss prototype tank: Pz.68 Erprobungsträger Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:48 am
    ----
Hi Massino,
thank you for the pictures. Now it remains to find a person who knows the technical details of the Pz.68 Erprobungsträger.

Jiri

#4: period photograph Author: zemsiLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:17 pm
    ----
... here's a period photograph, pic is a current auction on ricardo

#5: Re: Swiss prototype tank: Pz.68 Erprobungsträger Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:20 pm
    ----
I have been searching for some information and there is allmost nothing to be found

The only thing I could find, was that the plan was to use the some gun that is in use with the Panzer 87
Because the Pz 87 is a modified Leopard 2A4 that would be a 120mm Rheinmetall L/44.

#6: Re: Swiss prototype tank: Pz.68 Erprobungsträger Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:12 pm
    ----
The tank in the picture posted by Chris looks like having a 120 mm, the one in Burgdorf looks like a 105 mm. It remains to be seen if those are fully functioning guns or not

Massimo

#7: Re: book Author: zemsiLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:58 pm
    ----
... the pic I posted is also in the book "125 Jahre Konstruktionswerkstätte Thun" (125 years K+W Factory).

The legend is: Funktionsmuster Panzer 68 mit 120mm Geschütz und Zusatzpanzerung. That means something like "evaluation model Panzer 68 with 120 gun and additional armor".

Have you ever contacted RUAG Land Systems if they still have some information available?

#8: Re: Swiss prototype tank: Pz.68 Erprobungsträger Author: mikek92888 PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:54 pm
    ----
This is a slick little tank, kind of like an M-41!

#9: Re: Swiss prototype tank: Pz.68 Erprobungsträger Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:26 am
    ----
The Pz 68 is the size of a Leopard 1, bigger than an M41

Massimo

#10: Re: more pics Author: zemsiLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:07 pm
    ----
... just found some more pics

#11: Re: Swiss prototype tank: Pz.68 Erprobungsträger Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:26 am
    ----
Dear Colleague Zemsi,
thanks for the link to the company RUAG and also thank you for the beautiful pictures.

With Swiss institutions I have a bad experience, such as Armeemuseum Burgdorf. This museum I recently sent a letter. The local staff did not respond to my letter.

Sincerely JRT

#12: new pic Author: zemsiLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:37 pm
    ----
... and here's a new pic:

Aus dem Versuchsbetrieb: Ein normaler Schweizer Panzer 68 (links) und ein mit Zusatzpanzerung aufgerüstetes Fahrzeug gleichen Typs.

Means: on the left side an ordinary Pz 68 and on the right hand side the same type with additional armour.

Source: www.armeemuseum.ch/index.php?id=88

-> AFV News Discussion Board