Preserved Tanks in Canada
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#46: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:10 pm
    ----
Location ID 8260: York Cemetery, Toronto

#47: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:52 am
    ----
Location ID 8270: Barrie Armoury

#48: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:53 pm
    ----
Harold A. Skaarup Major (Retired), Canadian Forces seems to have a good site and some books on Armor and most anything Military in Canada

http://silverhawkauthor.com/

#49: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:44 pm
    ----
ArmyJunk - yes, as I mentioned in the Leopard thread that's where I found where it went to after Oshawa.

Talking of which, I've now written up its new location:

Location ID 8255: Georgina Military Museum, Keswick, Ontario

Also, to give background information for the location links and maps for the vehicles at the Regimental Museum at Oshawa I have written up the previous location, at the 8th Concession:

Location ID 8240: Oshawa Military and Industrial Museum, 8th Concession, Ontario

#50: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:59 pm
    ----
I've written up the Canadian War Museum, using photos mostly from Alf Adams, and some from Wikipedia:

Location Category ID 8100: Canadian War Museum, Ottawa

I wasn't able to find out the background history of most of the vehicles - the museum doesn't seem to give out such information on its website like other collections do (Bovington, etc.). If anyone knows any more, please let me know.

Oddly, the vehicle that I was able to find out the most about by searching online was the Leopard 1A3 - it has had quite an interesting life:

Unique ID 2489: Leopard 1A3

#51: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: recceboyLocation: Edmonton,Alberta PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:37 am
    ----
Trevor
That is a German Leopard 1A4 that was given to the museum. Came from KMW, and was a trials tank.
There are currently 4 Leopard 1A3 ,C1 as monuments. 1 at the Royal Canadian Armoured School, and one each at the regular force armoured units, the Royal Canadian Dragoons, Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians), & 12th Regiment du Blinde.
There are only 2 Leopard 1A5 , C2's as monuments right now, more will end up there soon. 1 at the Canadian war museum, and at CFB Kingston.

I have photos of all of them, used in The Canadian Leopard Project DVD Series.

Cheers

Anthony

#52: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:28 pm
    ----
The guys quoted on that page say 422 is a 1A3 with EMES - are you sure it's a 1A4?

Certainly I'd be interested in any photos you have of tanks preserved in Canada - I have done some of those you mentioned but by no means all.

#53: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:45 pm
    ----
As background to the Rams that have appeared at the CWM I have written up Kars:

Location ID 8265: Swords and Ploughshares Museum, Kars

Pierre-Oliver and RafaƂ: Your Surviving Canadian and Australian Cruiser Tanks register (2014 03 01) has been very helpful in tracking down Ram tanks in Canada. Thanks for all the work that went into it. Note, however, that you identify the Ram Kangaroo at the bottom of page 13 (shop no. 321 at CWM) as being the same as the Ram chassis at the bottom of page 10 (shop no. 321 at Kars).

However, although you identify these as being the same vehicle, I am not sure they are. I wonder if you are able to show a link between the two in some way. From looking at photographs I'm not sure that the one at CWM has ever had its hull cut away like the one at Kars - I think it's more likely the one from Rainham Marshes. In other words, unless you have some other evidence, I'm inclining to think that the Kangaroo at the bottom of page 13 after restoration (marked '40872') is the same as the one at the top of the same page before restoration

#54: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: recceboyLocation: Edmonton,Alberta PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:59 am
    ----
The CWM is a Leo 1A4, I have a copy of the transfer paperwork from KMW to the Canadian Military. If you need some info and help shoot me a message other means.....

Anthony

Author Canadian Leopard Project DVD reference series

#55: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:59 am
    ----
Thanks, I guess that clinches it! It's reclassified. I would be interested in knowing anything more about its past history, and in particular any locations it passed through not already mentioned on that page. Also, are you able to confirm whether or not it was the tank mentioned as going to Thailand.

Basically, any information you can provide is appreciated.

If you are interested, my Leopard database currently looks like this:

Preserved Leopard 1 Tanks

However, I'm only about halfway through writing up tanks in Canada so some Canadian ones are not yet included.

#56: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:49 pm
    ----
Location ID 8030: Meaford Tank Range

M4A2 x 4, Centurion x 3, Ram

#57: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:51 pm
    ----
Location ID 8035: Meaford Legion

Last edited by TrevorLarkum on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

#58: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:29 pm
    ----
Location ID 8040: CFB Kingston

Leopard, 2 x M4A2, 2 x Centurion, M109

Last edited by TrevorLarkum on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

#59: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:47 pm
    ----
Location ID 8050: CFB Petawawa

Mostly using Alf Adams' photos. 5 x M4A2, 2 x Centurion, Leopard, ASU-57, M109.

Alf, in another thread you give the serial number for the Museum's M4A2 as 69185, however on your website and in the Canada register you give it as 65241. Assuming it's the latter, where is 69185? Could it be the M4A2 by Worthington Barracks at Petawawa (though you don't show any photos for that one)?

Last edited by TrevorLarkum on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

#60: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: Alf_AdamsLocation: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 pm
    ----
My last visit to CFB Petawawa was in 2010 (gosh, that was 4 years ago already), and here is a summary of the Shermans that I saw. There were 3 Shermans at the base, all M4A2(76)HVSS.

sn 65241, rn 78-573, located at a hwy 17 turnoff to the base (N45 53.819 W077 18.806)
sn 69185, rn 78-518, located at the base museum (N45 54.760 W077 17.380)
sn 64966, rn not marked, painted "WORTHY", located at the main gate, (N45 54.375 W077 17.268)

65241 and 64966 can be seen on Google Streetview by searching for the above GPS co-ordinates. Of course they seem to like to play musical tanks every now and then so things may have changed.

I now have photos of all 3 on my Photobucket page. Hope this helps.

Alf

-> AFV News Discussion Board