M3A4 Discovered
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M3A4 Discovered Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:37 pm
    ----
Just when you thought Ft Knox was a boring place to be around....

We discovered an M3A4 Medium Tank. Original paint, although a bit 'faded', but the Registration # is 3029031, SN is 4373. Its nickname was 'Gosh Darn'.

It was found without the multi bank engine & the transmission housing is gone, and there is no turret, but it is in pretty good condition.

Images to follow....
Thought y'all might be interested
Regards
Don

#2: Re: M3A4 Discovered Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:47 pm
    ----
Way to Go Don! Now where could the turret be? I wish I could go through Aberdeen Ranges and Ft. Indiantown Gap "Valley" (An A-10 practice Range)
to see what's left there.
Hope you can find some more historical vehicles there. regards, Rick

#3: Re: M3A4 Discovered Author: TerryStibalLocation: Pensacola FL PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:00 am
    ----
As part of the base closure process, each facility was to be evaluated in detail for potential pollution problem and stuff like lead contamination. When I used to work for OSHA, I knew that the agency occasionally interfaced with the industrial hygienists who worked for DOD on these projects, but I could never find one who would part with a copy of the report.

The assessments were done in some detail. along the lines of the stuff done by Colt Denfield out in the Pacific, but I don't think that any of their findings were ever published like his were. If they had been, you would have photos of each damaged or abandoned vehicle, along with a pinpointed location on the range.

I don't think that DOD realizes what they had with the old range relics. Most that I saw at Knox were old personnel carriers, but there was the occasional obsolete tank thrown into the mix. And, on the ranges out west, a good portion of the Japanese vehicles from World War II were dumped. The Air Force was inaccurate enough in a couple of cases so that the running Type 95 at the Oregon Military Museum was the result.

#4: Re: M3A4 Discovered Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:06 am
    ----
We have located a number of M3 turrets that include the commander coupla MG mount....

This is the style that would have originally been mounted on the M3A4.

The really neat fact is both the tank and several of the turrets are completely void of impact marks. Being that they have been range targets for over 50 years and have survived this long, is a miracle.

Regards
Don

#5: Re: M3A4 Discovered Author: ajmac PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:00 am
    ----
I am not too familiar with the range closures in th US, is the range you mention being sold off?

#6: Re: M3A4 Discovered Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:47 am
    ----
Great stuff Don!

Did the hull have side doors? My guess is no.

KL

#7: Re: M3A4 Discovered Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:04 pm
    ----
Not being too familiar with the various variants of M3, we just got some walk around info and moved on. It was after the fact that we realized exactly what it was. The answer is no there are no side doors on the hull.

Regards
Don

#8: Re: M3A4 Discovered Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:50 pm
    ----
...Stupid photobucket.... can't seem to log in, but...

Garry has some photos posted:

Regards
Don

#9: Re: M3A4 Discovered Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:52 am
    ----
Is there any plan to recover it and to restore it? If you mention the existence of turrets and cupolas, I would say "yes"... or at last you have something in mind.

P-O

#10: Re: M3A4 Discovered Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:27 am
    ----
We have some ideas for a recovery, but have to get obvious approvals first... With everything that is going on, it may not be anytime soon, but we are documenting locations for future 'projects'...

Here are a couple of the M3 Turrets...

Regards
Don

#11: Re: M3A4 Discovered Author: recceboyLocation: Edmonton,Alberta PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:14 am
    ----
Well that looks nice. If you need a hand to pull them out, when they give the go a head, and if you need some Canuck help. Would love to be able to help out...........(not willing to get lost in the woods and find another great find either....................) LOL

Anthony

#12: Re: M3A4 Discovered Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:25 am
    ----
- recceboy
Well that looks nice. If you need a hand to pull them out, when they give the go a head, and if you need some Canuck help. Would love to be able to help out...........(not willing to get lost in the woods and find another great find either....................) LOL

Anthony

I'll keep you in mind.

I kept 'dumpster diving' into discovered hulls or tanks, checking them out....This is a shot of me inside the upside down M32 ARV....Thought it was an M4A1 at first, then I found the winch spool and mechanisms..

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board