OK, I've about had it.
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: OK, I've about had it. Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:34 am
    ----
I've just spent a half hour trying to figure out how to put photos in the gallery, then learning they must be resized, then uploading them, then trying to include them in a post, and failing, at which point I gave up. This has got to be one of the most frustrating computer experiences of recent memory.

How in the fudge do you get pictures to appear in posts like this:

www.com-central.net/in...ic&t=15978

KL

#2: Re: OK, I've about had it. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:08 am
    ----
Kurt,
Sorry you've gone all through that, especially since you don't have to.

At the bottom of a post-in-preparation, look down just below the window to where there's a bold "Options" followed by a clickable window that says "add an attachment" (best done after you've typed whatever you have to say). Then it will let you browse and attach the file, or multiple files (allowed file types will, I believe, be displayed when you click it). This all appears as a dropdown window and may be below your lower screen margin so scroll down if you don't see anything after clicking "add an attachment". Also there's a box for attachment comments, though I've never used it and don't notice others doing so either, so can't advise about it unless I run a test post, which I might do below.

We have, however, been having some so far insurmountable issues with text getting somehow confused with pic URL's, especially if typed between pics. Suggest you say what you have to say at post beginning, and have your attachments pre-named to identify them as what they are (for example: M4XXHVSS.jpg, or whatever). This means you won't have to label pics in the body of the message.

Let me know if that's not clear, and I'll take a screenshot noting where the buttons are.
BTW, the images or thumbs will not be visible to those not logged on, including, of course, the poster.

#3: Re: OK, I've about had it. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:33 am
    ----
A test post to see what "attachment comments" does....

Hey, it works! Comment was "when roadwheels go bad" in image box. So if you gots sumptin' to say about an attached image, say it there. I don't know what the limit is for length.

#4: Re: OK, I've about had it. Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:03 am
    ----
Thanks Doug. I tried adding them as attachments (*) and contrary to the announcement post at the top of the page (http://www.com-central.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7960) they were NOT automatically resized but were bounced for being too wide. And these were the images I had *already* had to resize once so that they would be accepted into the gallery or album or whatever it is called. Turns out one is gated by total image size, the other by image pixel width. Sorry, I'm just not going to bother going through another round of resizing, if not a third.

Far, far, from encouraging.

(*) And dig this: I clicked the add attachment button and the screen refreshed but no input box. I clicked it again, same result. Finally, on the third click and refresh the input box appeared.

KL

#5: Re: OK, I've about had it. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:26 am
    ----
Kurt,
Not sure what the limit is for "auto-resizing", but as a practical matter, I have made it a general practice to limit images for submission to any site (not just forums) at 800x600 or sometimes 1024x768 (standard photo editor sizes) and ~350 pixels max, just as a consideration to bandwidth (since I'm seldom paying for it myself). If some particular detail is to be shown, I'll make a copy and crop to that detail if necessary.

I think I'll try a larger attachment post here just to see what I can get away with.

OK, I did. Message reads at top of screen, "must be less than 800 high, 800 wide". I think we can take that as the limit. Our site here is provided at the generosity of others, so I don't make a fuss about stuff like that, and just accomodate it.

Sorry for your frustration.

D.

#6: Re: OK, I've about had it. Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:18 pm
    ----
It's a lot easier to upload them to Flickr or even to Facebook, then use the img tags to post them.

#7: Re: OK, I've about had it. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:00 pm
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
It's a lot easier to upload them to Flickr or even to Facebook, then use the img tags to post them.

+1

It works reliably and puts the storage space/bandwidth burden on the hosting site, rather than this one.

I generally use Photobucket with good results. When linking to an image hosting service is when that ugly text/URL thingy rears it's head That's a relatively recent development (read: bug) and hopefully will be sorted out at some point. In the meantime, I've found the best workaround is to say what you've got to say up front in the post and not between the image links.

It's also a good idea to keep the general image posting rules in mind, which are here:

www.com-central.net/in...amp;t=7960

#8: Re: OK, I've about had it. Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:29 pm
    ----
I have a thing here on how to use photobucket....feel free to ask questions or make corrections

www.cdsg.org/forums/vi...ic.php?t=3

#9: Re: OK, I've about had it. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:45 pm
    ----
- armyjunk2
I have a thing here on how to use photobucket....feel free to ask questions or make corrections

www.cdsg.org/forums/vi...ic.php?t=3

Good Job, Mister AJ....

...how about a brief word on which of the codes (from top to bottom) you want to copy and paste? I mention it because after a PB change recently, the bottom one (that I'd always used) was giving viewers access to view my whole album (not that there's anything naughty in there or that they could make changes), but I generally only want to provide links to a specific image or images in a post. I caught it early, but it's a good thing to know about if one doesn't want to have an open-to-the-public album.*

*Mine has a lot of strange piggie pictures and other incomprehensible material in it that isn't for general consumption.

Of course, you can alway have multiple albums there, some of which can be "open" and others "private".

-> AFV News Discussion Board