Another one bites the dust.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#31: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:10 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Methinks there is a tad bit more to the story on that Cougar than just "small-block Ford power".

But your car is much closer to the 11's now than it's been in 12 years and that's cause enough for celebration!

Yep. Under the comments, the owner didn't seem to be in a hurry to reveal exactly what he had under the hood other than CID. Guess it keeps em guessing.

I'm quite content with my stock 230hp / 17 sec. 1/4 mile. It's not how fast you get there...it's the adventure, man. Mr. Green

#32: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:29 pm
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat
- JG300-Stoopy
Methinks there is a tad bit more to the story on that Cougar than just "small-block Ford power".

But your car is much closer to the 11's now than it's been in 12 years and that's cause enough for celebration!

Yep. Under the comments, the owner didn't seem to be in a hurry to reveal exactly what he had under the hood other than CID. Guess it keeps em guessing.

I'm quite content with my stock 230hp / 17 sec. 1/4 mile. It's not how fast you get there...it's the adventure, man. Mr. Green

The phrase "small block" can be very misleading with modern technology. Some Ford small blocks can reach deep into 400 c.i.

www.musclemustangfastf...ewall.html

He also says nothing about the induction system. Ascout math says a 3,500lb car will run low 11's at 120+ mph in the quarter only with well over 500 H.P., and I'd bet closer to 550-600 if the weight is even close to what is claimed. He's being very cagey about the specs on this car. Wink

#33: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:03 am
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0103_ford_stroker_motor_theory/viewall.html

Interesting read.

I think I'm gonna drop this small block in my Cougar and give him a run for his money. Razz

www.edelbrock.com/auto...yote.shtml

#34: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:48 pm
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat
- JG300-Ascout
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0103_ford_stroker_motor_theory/viewall.html

Interesting read.

I think I'm gonna drop this small block in my Cougar and give him a run for his money. Razz

www.edelbrock.com/auto...yote.shtml

Or if you're feeling especially frisky:

www.roushperformance.com/engines/

or something a little more affordable...

www.jegs.com/p/Ford-Ra...7/10002/-1

#35: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:28 am
    ----
My rebuilt steering gear box, cylinder ram & control valve showed up today, things of beauty. Having mine rebuilt saved me some cash plus they are the original Bendix parts, something you want to hold on to.

The upper & lower swing arms, spindles, new coil springs, strut rod bushings and idler arm are all in. now that I have the rebuilt parts I can get the rest together. Should have some completed photos in a couple weeks.

#36: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:37 pm
    ----
Keep up the good work. And no seller's remorse!

#37: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:22 am
    ----
Have had a lot going on the last couple of weeks with trying to change careers, seminars, trying to make local connections, etc. Took a test Saturday for the Department of Water and Power and submitted an application For LA county Sanitation District. Hoping by Friday the front end will be done.

After some investigating, it appears my Cougar didn't come from the factory with a Vinyl top. It was either added at the dealership, or by a previous owner (I'm the 3rd owner).

#38: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:49 am
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat
Have had a lot going on the last couple of weeks with trying to change careers, seminars, trying to make local connections, etc. Took a test Saturday for the Department of Water and Power and submitted an application For LA county Sanitation District. Hoping by Friday the front end will be done.

After some investigating, it appears my Cougar didn't come from the factory with a Vinyl top. It was either added at the dealership, or by a previous owner (I'm the 3rd owner).

Excellent! Lose the vinyl top and go solid gold. It looks much better that way and I've got enough experience with both types to make that assertion. Plus, it will be simpler, easier and less expensive. Vinyl might have made some sense at the time, for a "dress" package, but the verdict of time is to leave it solid color. One less thing to worry about, too!

I've been busting butt to bring the ol' garage up to standards as a finished room and making mucho progress. have some nice stand-alone shelves that look good enough to add to with another set or two. Then I'll paint/finish the garage to "man cave" standards with minimal clutter and good work/maneuver spaces....which might included a motorcycle project just for somethin' to do (as my sometime mechanic has a couple of AMF year shovelheads in his family that they'd like to unload cheap.). I'd love to build up another shovel just for "theraperutic reasons" and sentimentality. (Now that Fr8dycat has inspired me to get my garage into shape).

#39: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:15 am
    ----
So this morning I finally finished up the front suspension. Took it for the second longest trip since it's reincarnation to Leona Valley (about 30 miles round trip) and visited my friend’s parent’s antique store. Man what a difference, nice and solid and the slightest movement of the steering wheel now translates to movement in the tires. Has a little wander and the return is slowly making its way back, the first time I turned a corner the steering wheel stayed right LOL. Will take a coupe days of driving it around to get all the air out of the power steering system and get the parts worked in plus the alignment is completely out of whack being an entirely new front end.

Gonna get a new set of tires since the ones that are on there are like rolling on rocks, at least 16 years old. Found a Ford front end guru (even a Mustang owner) that aligns the old fashioned way with rods and bubble gauges and has had a few articles on alignments in the Mustang mags. Gonna call him Monday and arrange to bring the Cougar in for an alignment (after I get the new tires).

Now the only major mechanical thing left is the rear differential. It works...but has a lot of slack, ufo sounds, oscillating vibrations, etc. I greased the u-joints (which were replaced a couple of years before parking) and with the new tires and alignment we'll see how much better any of that gets. Should see a nice Tax return so will plan it for then.

In the meantime I can take care of the less expensive little things and it's still good for the short weekend hops around town or to a friends house and even received two compliments on the drive to fill er' up.

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum