Combat FS for today ?
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#16: Re: Combat FS for today ? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:13 pm
    ----
Stoopy: ROFLMAO...

Yep, when realism replaces the fun factor, it splits all the enthusiasts into 'groups' who won't participate in the other groups games thereby causing even more dissension. Wink

Overall, it's my belief the games fall by the wayside because of several issues and those are:

1) The developers move on to more 'lucrative' endeavors. They have to eat and let's face it, most everyone wants lots of money. (sad fact).

2) The users (Players) tend want more features and beat the developers up with their demands. Bug fixes is one thing, but features beyond the game engine capabilities are another.

When CFS3 first came out, CC held weekly games along with a chat room similar to the Zone (not exactly like it however) and the game developers showed up for about a month listening to the players response to the game. Soon after that, a patch came out but it wasn't enough for most players to enjoy the game as their hardware still wasn't 'up to speed'. They game slowly lost momentum and it gathered dust on the shelves.

3) Shutting down the "Zone" had an immense effect on the game. Part of the charm of CFS was the lobby and without this kind of interaction, the players had to devise other methods to find games. While there where alternatives, nothing was a good as the Zone IMO.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I believe it's a combination of things that decided it's fate. The memories of CFS will last me a lifetime and will be replaced by nothing. The many many hours spent laughing, cussing and enjoying the new found friends was worth it.

It was so popular, CC held yearly conventions which drew players from around the world to play in the competitions. To finally meet your adversaries (friends) in real life was toooooo cool to explain. A lot of the CFS players who are still here at CC I've met in person. Those memories are something I'll cherish forever.

Bottom Line: As Homey said: "FUN" was the key... Wink

#17: Re: Combat FS for today ? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:39 pm
    ----
Hyarr hyarr.

Ya never met a monkey though, didja?
Wink

I mean ape.
Ape, dammit!

#18: Re: Combat FS for today ? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:21 pm
    ----
Don't know about the simple part, but this is coming soon from the folks who made "Rise of Flight"

il2sturmovik.com/

I watched the video and said holy crap!

#19: Re: Combat FS for today ? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:48 am
    ----
Blimey.
Surely they're the cut scenes.
Can't be from in-game.
Helluva step forward if they are.

#20: Re: Combat FS for today ? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:48 pm
    ----
- piney
Don't know about the simple part, but this is coming soon from the folks who made "Rise of Flight"

il2sturmovik.com/

I watched the video and said holy crap!

Yup, Holy Crap. It's actually a merged team of the folks who made Rise Of Flight (Team 777) PLUS the folks who made Cliffs Of Dover (Maddox 1C games) to form 777 1C. I read all about it when I was more active in Rise Of Flight earlier this year.

The read on it form the Rise Of Flight community was that Maddox 1C, who'd fudged up so badly with Cliffs Of Dover, but where still a comparative juggernaught compared to little ol' 777, needed to improve their rep and internal development resources by acquiring a good shop that could get the job done (which I would say 777 qualifies based on the great job on Rise Of Flight). But, the 1C Cliffs Of Dover team is calling the shots, which IMHO simply means that yes the game will look great, but in reality what's going on during those glitzy action-packed sequences will be something more along the lines of....

#21: Re: Combat FS for today ? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:52 pm
    ----
...and where is the windshield washer fluid fill cap on that model? And didn't Russian stinger gunners have cotton straps on those goggles, not leather? Is there a good fuel tank selector switch available or maybe one will come with the repaint kit for Lt. Ivan Illbedavonvatshotzem.

3D movies are easy to please with. How intuitive the models play is everything (and do you need to own Nvidia stock to get a card that'll run it).

#22: Re: Combat FS for today ? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:27 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
...and where is the windshield washer fluid fill cap on that model? And didn't Russian stinger gunners have cotton straps on those goggles, not leather? Is there a good fuel tank selector switch available or maybe one will come with the repaint kit for Lt. Ivan Illbedavonvatshotzem.

3D movies are easy to please with. How intuitive the models play is everything (and do you need to own Nvidia stock to get a card that'll run it).

I'm a little embarrassed that I got the command sequence wrong, it's actually "Loosen Shoulder Straps and not "Nestle to Gunsight". In case you think I'm kidding here's a linky:

www.raafsquad.com/clif...gunner.htm

And I loved the justification that was provided:

"We intentionally complicated gunner controls in Cliffs of Dover to better simulate the real workload of a rear gunner, and made it more difficult to aim and fire immediately upon jumping into a gunner position. We feel that human controlled gunners now approach historical results and are much less of a nuisance in online matches."

In other words, Lt. Illbedavonvatshotzem is a developer that likes to fly online when he's not coding the next patch, but he prefers flying single-engine stuff, and he hates it when some pesky newbie tags him from a lowly waist gunner position, so we'll just see what we can do about that!

Evil or Very Mad !

#23: Re: Combat FS for today ? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:34 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
- JG300-Ascout

I'm a little embarrassed that I got the command sequence wrong, it's actually "Loosen Shoulder Straps and not "Nestle to Gunsight". In case you think I'm kidding here's a linky:

www.raafsquad.com/clif...gunner.htm

And I loved the justification that was provided:

"We intentionally complicated gunner controls in Cliffs of Dover to better simulate the real workload of a rear gunner, and made it more difficult to aim and fire immediately upon jumping into a gunner position. We feel that human controlled gunners now approach historical results and are much less of a nuisance in online matches."

In other words, Lt. Illbedavonvatshotzem is a developer that likes to fly online when he's not coding the next patch, but he prefers flying single-engine stuff, and he hates it when some pesky newbie tags him from a lowly waist gunner position, so we'll just see what we can do about that!

Evil or Very Mad !

Now there's the "Boss Hawg" we all know and love (to kill, preferably over, or in, Interlaken with a P38). See what difference a couple of "Private Reserves" can make before posting...regardless of what impact blood pressure meds have/have not had? Mr. Green A significant opportunity was missed by Lt. Illbedavonvatshotzem when he failed to delay the waist/tail/dorsal gunners' reaction time by a couple of seconds because it's widely known that they almost always had a hand free for scratchin' their 'nads.

And now we know how Ju-88's and B-25's got nerfed...when they started ruining SpitPests' days. At least, that's why I switched to B25H's for mountain dogfights. Twisted Evil

#24: Re: Combat FS for today ? Author: A1Trigger_HappyLocation: Alabama, USA PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:16 pm
    ----
Hell they just need to upgrade the graphics for CFS and re-release it. It would be an instant hit. Don't forget to bring The Zone back too.... We can only wish?

#25: Re: Combat FS for today ? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:06 pm
    ----
I don't mean to pile on gloomy news after a tirade, but one of the death knells for flight & combat sims as I see it is the inevitable march towards game boxes and closed computing architecture. Its a plus for software vendors if they don't have to test software on 100's of different hardware, video card, sound card combinations, but I think it's also a big minus for personalizing your own hangar, and also a sim run on an XBox or Playstation is far more likely to be...well..."gamey".

Here's the reason I say all of the above:
money.cnn.com/video/in...=S_Taboola

#26: Re: Combat FS for today ? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:14 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
I don't mean to pile on gloomy news after a tirade, but one of the death knells for flight & combat sims as I see it is the inevitable march towards game boxes and closed computing architecture. Its a plus for software vendors if they don't have to test software on 100's of different hardware, video card, sound card combinations, but I think it's also a big minus for personalizing your own hangar, and also a sim run on an XBox or Playstation is far more likely to be...well..."gamey".

Here's the reason I say all of the above:
money.cnn.com/video/in...=S_Taboola

...and it's a bummer. I'm no Luddite, but don't need smartphones, tablets, etc. (I have a cel phone, standard issue...and a laptop, which I only acquired because when I retired and moved, didn't know when I'd get my desktop up again). I don't need or want mobile devices anymore (and thank heaven, don't need them).

99.9% of my digital time is on a PC (a six-year-old PC, which I'll have to upgrade at some point). I just want a nice, at home gaming experience at my desk. If I have to hold a console controller, how will I pick up my drink?! (I could invest in a camelback, but that's an awful waste of premium liquor and ice)

...and if (as it seems to be going) I need to MMP register and futz around with upgrades and subscription services, I'll just "fly solo" and be happy doing it. There's a market segment (albeit small) that's being ignored (and we have some disposable income). I'd propose a startup, but that sounds too much like work. Shocked

#27: Re: Combat FS for today ? Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:50 pm
    ----
-S-

Sly....How have you been..!!! ... Try Amazon.com for cfs1 and 2. Nice to see you back. Like the idea too. Keep us up to date on how its comming along.

Hammer Smile Cool Smile Cool Smile

-> Officer's Club