'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...??
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#46: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:59 am
    ----
a new display at the Tank Museum :
http://www.tankmuseum.org/ixbin/indexplus?record=ART4550&_IXMENU_=news_and_events

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/11546940.New_Fury_exhibition_launched_at_Bovington_Tank_Museum_ahead_of_Brad_Pitt_film_release/

P-O

#47: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:29 pm
    ----
Saw the film this morning in Imax. Wow...

#48: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: binder001 PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:42 pm
    ----
Does anyone know if the displayed tank is the "primary" Fury - the M4A2E8 or is it the "replacement" Fury, the cobbled together M4 (105mm)/76mm turret? It looks like the museum has Fury with the right-hand logs blown away (from the Tiger fight). Still a neat idea to tank what was an "ordinary" M4A2E8 and show it as a movie star. It captures an interesting time in the life of one particular tank.

#49: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:46 pm
    ----
hello,

the tank displayed is the M4A2E8, which has a different srpocket than the M4(105) with 76mm turret

#50: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: SanderD PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:23 pm
    ----
I saw the movie this thursday, WOW.
It's definitely one that can be counted in my top 4 war movies

Cheers

Sander

#51: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:38 am
    ----
Excellent movie, as long as you don't expect a documentary about tank tactics and operations. Which would be unreasonable to expect from a Hollywood movie anyway. If you want to see how tank crews really act around each other, and explore the bonds between each other and with their tank, then it's an outstanding and gripping movie. I recommend it, and also put it on my list of top 4 war movies!

#52: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:52 pm
    ----
The latest issue of Classic Military Vehicles (Dec 2014) has a big spread on the film. Lots of photos and interesting info on the making of the film.

#53: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:06 pm
    ----
Just came out of the theater. Just like it was already said here, it was no documentary, but a damn good film.

#54: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:51 pm
    ----
- C_Sherman
Excellent movie, as long as you don't expect a documentary about tank tactics and operations. Which would be unreasonable to expect from a Hollywood movie anyway. If you want to see how tank crews really act around each other, and explore the bonds between each other and with their tank, then it's an outstanding and gripping movie. I recommend it, and also put it on my list of top 4 war movies!

...and the frictions. Both are always present in an environment where you can never really escape each other. This is rarely captured well in cinema, but this is an exception.

#55: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:04 pm
    ----
Fury at Bovington:
www.tankmuseum.org/ixb...xhibitions

#56: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:56 am
    ----
M4A3E8 "Fury" by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#57: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:23 am
    ----
Can anyone imagine stacking that many ammo cans that neatly to get up to a tanks gun barrel? And can anyone imagine the stack being stable? I've used 20mm Ammo cans (much larger) as a work bench, saw horse, etc ant they aren't stable enough that I would stack them 4 or 5 cans high without using rope or tiedown straps around the perimeterto bind them together.

#58: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: VonForhud PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:56 pm
    ----
Why would you put yellow sandbags on a vehicle that is olive drab? Only makes it more visible and offers no protection Imho.

An 88 shell or a Panzerschreck would go through a Sherman 7 days a week sandbag or no sandbag.

#59: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:14 pm
    ----
Non Fat early Elvis, Fort Knox Library had several of these pics ........I wonder why these pics come out so big.

#60: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: clausb PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:45 pm
    ----
- VonForhud
Why would you put yellow sandbags on a vehicle that is olive drab? Only makes it more visible and offers no protection Imho.

An 88 shell or a Panzerschreck would go through a Sherman 7 days a week sandbag or no sandbag.

...because sandbags come in that natural, brown-yellow colour and are a bitch to paint..? Smile

As I understand it, sandbags would likely work against WWII HEAT rounds by

- adding some distance between the HEAT round and the main armour, though probably not enough to defeat a large Panzerfaust round or Panzerschreck
- by being relatively soft and flexible. WWII HEAT seems to have been easily defeated by various movable or flimsy parts on the target like roadwheels, exhaustmufflers etc.

In any case, it would be a one-shot protection, as the blast from the HEAT round would remove the sandbags.

As for kinetic penetrators like an 88mm APCBC/HE round - probably not much effect unless the sandbag could somehow trigger the fuze and make the round detonate prematurely.

On the other hand, a fully sandbagged Sherman would have 2-3 tons added to its weight, probably even more in wet weather when the sandbags became waterlogged. That likely had a detremental effect on performance and realiability.

-> AFV News Discussion Board