"Tank" Movie
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: "Tank" Movie Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:44 am
    ----
I just watched "Tank" on netflix, the 1984 movie starring James Garner. Mostly I just wanted to see the tank footage. Does anyone know the story on the M4A3 tank that was used in that film?

#2: Re: "Tank" Movie Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:47 am
    ----
No, but I'll go on record as saying it's one of the worst movies ever committed to celluloid. Has "made for TV" written all over it. *gag*

#3: Re: "Tank" Movie Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:59 am
    ----
- Walter_Sobchak
I just watched "Tank" on netflix, the 1984 movie starring James Garner. Mostly I just wanted to see the tank footage. Does anyone know the story on the M4A3 tank that was used in that film?

It use to belong to Ropkey. He sold it to the Collings Foundation a couple of years ago. James Garner autographed the inside.

Garry

#4: Re: "Tank" Movie Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:28 pm
    ----
Yeah, the movie is terrible but I usually find myself fast forwarding to the tank footage.

Jeff

#5: Re: "Tank" Movie Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:03 pm
    ----
Blasphemers !!!!
There is no such thing as a bad James Garner movie. Mr. Green

Wheels

#6: Re: "Tank" Movie Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:06 pm
    ----
It is a terrible movie all around.....

#7: Re: "Tank" Movie Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:52 am
    ----
- ChrisC
It is a terrible movie all around.....

It's so good that it doesn't even have a score on Rottentomatoes website. Could it be greater than 100%? Laughing

Leonard Pinth-Garnell didn't even touch it in "Bad Cinema" but that could because he was no longer on the SNL cast. I think at the least he would have said, "There now, that wasn't so good, was it?, astonishingly bad, monumentally ill-advised, and really bit the big one."

#8: Re: "Tank" Movie Author: 3R22RLocation: Ste-Agathe des Monts QC PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:16 am
    ----
anybody remembers a 1950s war movie about a Sherman tank crewman who goes to see a general officer complaining about how inferior US tanks were and finaly gets a Pershing?

#9: Re: "Tank" Movie Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:18 am
    ----
This?

www.war-movies.info/in...oming&m=48

#10: Re: "Tank" Movie Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:43 pm
    ----
- JWB2

"The Tanks Are Coming" is also a delightful bit of 1941 recruiting fun prior to our involvement in the war. It prominently features M2's and a lot of nostalgic footage of Ft. Knox in that period, especially my beloved Heard Motor Park on Spearhead Div. Ave. (formerly 7th Ave., I believe). I used to report there daily for about 2 years. It features a character reminiscent of Lou Costello as a N.Y. taxi driver takes up tanking. It's a short feature (maybe 20 minutes) and well worth watching for fun and the vehicles used. And it's in color!

Part I

Part II

#11: Re: "Tank" Movie Author: binder001 PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:56 pm
    ----
There were TWO movies titles "The Tanks Are Coming". One was a 1941 semi-recruiting film for the infant Armored Force. The 1951 version (this is the one where a young tank repairman goes to see the CG of 3rd Armored Division) was supposed to be based on the career of Lafe Pool, but degenerated into a Warner Bros typical war movie. On the good news the 1951 version has lots of Shermans (M4A3 75mm Dry, M4A3E8, etc) and an M46 doing a stand-in role as a T26E3. As history or storytelling it's crud, but it's a "guilty pleasure" to watch the battle scenes with the tanks. In one scene that appears to have been filmed at Ft. Knox they used a real German 88mm to engage the Shermans. They used an M36B2 as their German Panther.

#12: Re: "Tank" Movie Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:56 am
    ----
Never heard of him before. Glad I am here. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...te_G._Pool

-> AFV News Discussion Board