Guess it's time to buy Windows 7
-> Software

#1: Guess it's time to buy Windows 7 Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:16 am
    ----
Subject line says it all, time to ditch XP. Used to keep up with all the computer tech and over the last 3 years or so haven't, just got burnt out.

So i'm looking at Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Have run the Win7 upgrade advisor and everything shows as compatible with my system (i7 2.8ghz / 4 gigs ram / plenty of HD space). A couple of devices show driver upates needed which I've already downloaded. 1 program, Silent hunter III showing not compatible but haven't played that game in 3 years anyways.

Figured I'd throw it out there so guys that have already gone through the transition can chime in with recommendations, gotchas, pit falls, etc.

#2: Re: Guess it's time to buy Windows 7 Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:35 am
    ----
Hi Fr8y,

I have Win7.
However I installed it fresh.
Not a software expert, but I would be thinking in these terms in your situation.
Windows accumulates crap and there's not much you can do about it, even with a regular house-cleaning regime.
Make copies of the files you need and then wipe your drive and do a clean install rather than an upgrade.
Especially if you're using it as a gaming machine.

I would also get more RAM, I have 6Gb and still sometimes get the "High load" message.

#3: Re: Guess it's time to buy Windows 7 Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:23 am
    ----
Thanks for the input Shades.

I do plan on doing a complete reinstall of Windows. Also planning on adding more RAM. Just wondering about the version of Windows7 I should get. Noticed the Professional version has an XP mode but not sure if that's even worth it.

#4: Re: Guess it's time to buy Windows 7 Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:41 am
    ----
I haven't used XP mode but, essentially, it's a way of running some older games in XP.
I couldn't play CFS1 because I couldn't use my old FFB2 j/s in later versions of Windows.
If they'd put this into Vista, I might not have stopped.
Along with a few others, who had the same issue.

I have Pro but have had no reason to try the XP retro set up.
If you're playing newer games and have hardware to match, it shouldn't be necessary.

I haven't gone to Win 8 yet.
Heard mixed reports.
Some find it the best ever, others say it's another Vista.
Guess it depends on your hardware set up.
M$ do tend to realise good/bad versions alternatively.
I like '7', so I'll probably hang on until '9' comes out and then may do a new build around it.
Updating Windows isn't really a priority for me any more, as long as it's secure.

#5: Re: Guess it's time to buy Windows 7 Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:23 pm
    ----
I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on a laptop and my desktop, they've been doing everything I've wanted, but I pretty much decided to forego any XP-compatability from the start of the transition, and it's been OK.

Both were fresh installs on new hardware though.

#6: Re: Guess it's time to buy Windows 7 Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:42 pm
    ----
Other than compatibility issues, what might be involved in a Window 7 install over both XP (one one system) and over Vista on another (laptop)?

I need a new desktop, but that has to wait for at least a month for some investments to mature.

#7: Re: Guess it's time to buy Windows 7 Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:43 pm
    ----
You can install over existing Operating Systems.
But, you will inherit all the 'clagg' that those OS's have installed during their lifetimes.
And all that might be completely irrelevant to your new OS.
That slows the system down.

Imagine moving into a new house.
Lovely and clean and bright.
Until you look in the loft ("attic"... philistines!).
Then you find a load of crap the previous owners left for you to clean up and sort out.

If you have to install any software, it's usually better to remove previous versions and install fresh.
Plus, it will make your PC smell like a rose garden.

Okay, that last bit's a metaphor/lie.

#8: Re: Guess it's time to buy Windows 7 Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:39 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
but I pretty much decided to forego any XP-compatability from the start of the transition

I was thinking the same. If ya gotta move forward, no point in looking back.

Going with Home Premium. Any problems and you can expect me back here asking questions. Laughing

#9: Re: Guess it's time to buy Windows 7 Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:03 pm
    ----
-S-

I went from XP and got windows 7 premium 64 bit, upgraded to 8 gigs ram, ddr2 800 MHz with an awesome Samsung 840 pro 256 ssd, quiet and fast..!! it works great..!!

www.newegg.com/Product...2W00ZD1539

I saw some texture issues with IL-2 1946, haven't looked for a fix yet..but what the heck, waiting forIL-2 Battle of Stalingrad.
liking windows 7, no issues yet.
If you can afford it..get a Samsung 500 gig ssd as I have found the 256 gig ssd filling up fast, check the reviews on ..NewEgg.com.
World of Tanks is a 30 gig download..!!

Hammer Smile Cool Smile Cool Smile

#10: Re: Guess it's time to buy Windows 7 Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:18 pm
    ----
Is your IL-2 install patched to v4.12.2m?
With the addition of wide screen support and other video fixes with the later patches your texture problems might be solved by just updating to the most recent patch level.

Make a copy of your current install and patch the copy so you can always revert to the original just in case things get worse for some reason.

Wheels

#11: Re: Guess it's time to buy Windows 7 Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:15 am
    ----
Will Chuck Yeager's Air Combat and 688 Attack Sub still run on Win 7?! Shocked

#12: Re: Guess it's time to buy Windows 7 Author: siskensLocation: The Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:37 pm
    ----
couple of weeks ago I got myself into the "new " windows 7 home premium 64bit SP1, Intel i7 2600 @ 3,4G, some 6 GB of RAM DDR3 and an Nvidia card GT545......... The whole shmear runs perfectly with all sliders to the right. All add-ons reinstalled ( took s o m e time) but I'm very happy with it.

Reinstalled IL-2 (4.12.2m) and with this nothing wrong; great to get into the dogfights now and then).

In all - investing in a fresh W7 is not a bad idea...( you may use your saved green stamps to reduce costs Wink .)

-> Software