AMVETS Post 136 - Ephrata, PA - M60A2 Gallery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: AMVETS Post 136 - Ephrata, PA - M60A2 Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:50 pm
    ----
Hi All,

We’ve added gallery of photos of M60A2 SN 4725 on display at AMVETS Post 136 in Ephrata, PA.

www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...PA/n-BR79n

#2: Re: AMVETS Post 136 - Ephrata, PA - M60A2 Gallery Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:02 am
    ----
Needs some TLC, I think.

What's up with the 76mm field gun on page two of your photos? Looks like a 1953 issue. Not even remotely familiar with that type and I'm kind of surprised to see we were still making field guns of that caliber late in Korean war era. It's so much larger a package than the 105 howitzer.

#3: Re: AMVETS Post 136 - Ephrata, PA - M60A2 Gallery Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:55 am
    ----
Doug - I think it was an experimental (hence the T series number) A/T gun meant primarily for Airborne use. I think I remember an similar peice at Aberdeen in the back rows of the field behind the museum

#4: Re: AMVETS Post 136 - Ephrata, PA - M60A2 Gallery Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:13 am
    ----
Very interesting gun, I've never seen one before

Massimo

#5: Re: AMVETS Post 136 - Ephrata, PA - M60A2 Gallery Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:09 pm
    ----
I know of 22 76mm Atg around the US, none overseas that I know of. Some seem to be T8's, some T124's and a couple T3's... I don't have much info on these.

#6: Re: AMVETS Post 136 - Ephrata, PA - M60A2 Gallery Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:13 pm
    ----
Ralph posted about this:
www.com-central.net/in...ms&t=10797

Massimo

#7: Re: AMVETS Post 136 - Ephrata, PA - M60A2 Gallery Author: binder001 PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:02 pm
    ----
Nice! Not many of those left and odd to see one outside a US Army post. The black over khaki green paint job reminds me of when I visited Fort Know circa 1975 during some of the MASSTER testing on camouflage paint. Ft. Knox had a batch of vehicles that were done up in that scheme. The green was very similar to the Humbrol Khaki Drab that I was using at the time and the flat black was spryed on with rough edges.

#8: Re: AMVETS Post 136 - Ephrata, PA - M60A2 Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:08 pm
    ----
Thanks for the interest and info, guys!

I've changed the captions in the gallery to reflect the ID.

#9: Re: AMVETS Post 136 - Ephrata, PA - M60A2 Gallery Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:54 pm
    ----
- binder001
Nice! Not many of those left and odd to see one outside a US Army post. The black over khaki green paint job reminds me of when I visited Fort Know circa 1975 during some of the MASSTER testing on camouflage paint. Ft. Knox had a batch of vehicles that were done up in that scheme. The green was very similar to the Humbrol Khaki Drab that I was using at the time and the flat black was spryed on with rough edges.

The Armor Board was testing a number of camouflage patterns at least as early as '73 (I was gone by '75). These included a desert pattern (which we called "Afrika Corp Sand" informally, and everyone loved it, regardless of it's appropriateness for certain theaters) and one that was a four color pattern that originated with the Swedes and included a shade of purple, if you can feature that, All our regular service items were still OD, with possible exception of some European deployed units (I didn't go there then, so can't say). Testing these things around Ft. Knox was very "empirical", with lots of approaches from thousands of meters away and the detection point being recorded by numerous observers.

#10: Re: AMVETS Post 136 - Ephrata, PA - M60A2 Gallery Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:00 pm
    ----
Hi All. Check out: www.flickr.com/photos/...k6757/sets under albums I have over 100 views of M60A2's including this one in Ephrata, PA. Also in this album are views of the M60A2 MBT's with bulldozer blades. Rick

#11: Re: AMVETS Post 136 - Ephrata, PA - M60A2 Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:55 pm
    ----
Hey Rick,

That is a very nice collection of photos on your Flickr site! Thanks for the link. Site looks great too!

#12: Re: AMVETS Post 136 - Ephrata, PA - M60A2 Gallery Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:08 am
    ----
Paul and Loren,
Glad you liked the photos. As always thanks much for sharing yours! Seeing all the places you two visit makes me want to retire sooner (8 or 9 years to go) so I can get around more. I used to live in Lancaster, PA, so when I go there to visit family I try to go to local tank sites. Rick

#13: Re: AMVETS Post 136 - Ephrata, PA - M60A2 Gallery Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:37 am
    ----
Great pics as always! Thanks for sharing.

#14: Re: AMVETS Post 136 - Ephrata, PA - M60A2 Gallery Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:00 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- binder001

The Armor Board was testing a number of camouflage patterns at least as early as '73 (I was gone by '75). These included a desert pattern (which we called "Afrika Corp Sand" informally, and everyone loved it, regardless of it's appropriateness for certain theaters) and one that was a four color pattern that originated with the Swedes and included a shade of purple, if you can feature that, All our regular service items were still OD, with possible exception of some European deployed units (I didn't go there then, so can't say). Testing these things around Ft. Knox was very "empirical", with lots of approaches from thousands of meters away and the detection point being recorded by numerous observers.

Purple isn't very surprising. BA painted vehicles pink in North Africa;

miliblog.co.uk/wp-cont...-fg-31.jpg

#15: Re: AMVETS Post 136 - Ephrata, PA - M60A2 Gallery Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:28 am
    ----
- armyjunk2
I know of 22 76mm Atg around the US, none overseas that I know of. Some seem to be T8's, some T124's and a couple T3's... I don't have much info on these.

The T8 was a 90mm. Not sure what a T3 would be though.

These were eventually standardized but the M number escapes me. These weren't M32 tank guns but were in fact designed for the purpose. One notable difference was the breech design. Tanks normally have a breech ring with a vertical opening block while artillery is partial to horizontal opening blocks. Also, the tube does not have bore evacuator unlike an M32. If anything, I'd say this was derived from the M1 76mm.

KL

-> AFV News Discussion Board