Calling all who are interested in ex-NVA DDR BMP-2 IFVs
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Calling all who are interested in ex-NVA DDR BMP-2 IFVs Author: palic PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:50 pm
    ----
Well, I know - long time no hear from me...
Gentlemen,
I have a couple of questions or let us say Intel Request on ex NVA DDR BMP-2s... Trumpeter has released one in 1/35 scale and they included winterwashed camo variant with tac number 9531 in the instruction. See the instruction sheet with "GDR Guards Tank Regiment" 1988 camo: new2.trumpeter-china.c...12cfc7.jpg

I am slightly afraid there was none such unit within former NVA DDR and the fact that the vehicle is equipped with "Kovriki" (carpets) armour makes me pretty puzzled because of pictures available in the net show such vehicles (with "Kovriki") only in service with Soviet Armed Forces or their post Soviet era ancestor armies... None such vehicles (i.e. those with "Kovriki") seem to be exported either to Warsaw treaty countries or even to "third countries"...
NVA received all in all 23 vehicles in "mechanized squad" variant (let us say "slick" IFV) and one in "command" variant, I hope the origin of those was USSR and Czechoslovakia.
Saw a nice footage taken during 1989 NVA parade in (east)Berlin, more than 10 BMP-2s parading, all vehicles repainted into spotless shape, no tac numbers, just national cockades, no "Kovriki" equipped vehicle at all, you know.

Could somebody of you add more "hard data" to those I already know? Is the list of tac numbers (four digits) allocated to the batch of BMP-2s within NVA DDR known or even available? I have found 9535 and 9568 tac nos... Could somebody know what NVA units were equipped with BMP-2s/Spz-2?
I am very suspicious that NVA DDR camo and maybe even a number, as pictured in the Trumpy instruction, is purest essence of nonsense as well as are nonsense two more camo variants - Syrian "National Guard" and Kuwaiti 35th Bde from GW1...

Could anybody kindly help, please?

P.S. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

#2: Re: Calling all who are interested in ex-NVA DDR BMP-2 IFVs Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:56 pm
    ----
I'll add 9561 to your list. For more information, try to find the Fahrzeug Profile 13 - Der Schutzenpanzer BMP book.

#3: Re: Calling all who are interested in ex-NVA DDR BMP-2 IFVs Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:14 pm
    ----
www.militaertechnik-de...mmern.html

A site with a lot of info about East German tactical numbers.

regards,
Lesley

#4: Re: Calling all who are interested in ex-NVA DDR BMP-2 IFVs Author: palic PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:28 pm
    ----
Gentlemen, thank you very much for such interesting intel. SPz BMP-2s were in the inventory of Mot Schütze Regiment (MSR) 9, garrisoned in Torgelow, Drögeheide, which was part of 9 PzD. Numbers of BMP-2s still make me puzzled - they didn't even have full battalion of them, may be two companies (with 3 IFVs in a platoon, company 3x3 plus one and probably two more vehicles in Bn a Regt HQs, companies probably numbered 3 and 6). One more vehicle was used by (yet unidentified) training unit garrisoned in Prora (yes, this sounds familiar to those interested in WW2 history) and there is a y-t video taken during days of ex-NVA vehicles being transported to storage depots... (unfortunately, tac numbers were removed).
Could somebody confirm or correct my "educated guesses" on ToE and organization of 9 MSR, please? No ex-9 MSR soldier around?

-> AFV News Discussion Board