Pictures of 88mm Flak 18 in Romanian Military Museum?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Pictures of 88mm Flak 18 in Romanian Military Museum? Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:44 pm
    ----
Doug, Massimo,

Wondering if you -or anyone else- may have any detail photos of the Flak 18 that was/is in the Military Museum?

Bruce

#2: Re: Pictures of 88mm Flak 18 in Romanian Military Museum? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:16 pm
    ----
- BruceClark
Doug, Massimo,

Wondering if you -or anyone else- may have any detail photos of the Flak 18 that was/is in the Military Museum?

Bruce

Are we talking about this one (second from two in distant row)? If so, I have a couple of shots documenting the characteristic hammer blows to the breech that one sees on so many 88's.

#3: Re: Pictures of 88mm Flak 18 in Romanian Military Museum? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:34 am
    ----
I have 40+ high resolution shots. You can download them all here:
www.massimocorner.com/...harest.zip

Please note it's a very large file, almost 500 Mb. Let me know once you will have it since I can keep it there forever.

Are you interested in this gun since it's a Flak 18 or your interest is about 8.8 cm in general?
I have plenty of pictures of other 8.8 cm and would be more than glad to try and help, just let us know what you are looking for.

Hope it will help

Massimo

#4: Re: Pictures of 88mm Flak 18 in Romanian Military Museum? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:25 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
I have 40+ high resolution shots. You can download them all here:
www.massimocorner.com/...harest.zip

Please note it's a very large file, almost 500 Mb. Let me know once you will have it since I can keep it there forever.

Are you interested in this gun since it's a Flak 18 or your interest is about 8.8 cm in general?
I have plenty of pictures of other 8.8 cm and would be more than glad to try and help, just let us know what you are looking for.

Hope it will help

Massimo

Speaking for myself, I'm interested in any detail shots of the breechblock exhibiting the hammer impacts...and where those guns are located, if possible. (Also any 88's that do NOT exhibit this feature). I've seen about a half dozen 88's up close around the world and never seen one without the impact marks. Always wondered about the issues that made this inelegant solution necessary.

#5: Re: Pictures of 88mm Flak 18 in Romanian Military Museum? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:31 pm
    ----
Doug, could you point the exact location out in a picture?

Massimo

#6: Re: Pictures of 88mm Flak 18 in Romanian Military Museum? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:10 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
Doug, could you point the exact location out in a picture?

Massimo

Here ya' go. Look for crescent-shaped partial "moon" marks on outside of breech. Clearly hammer impacts.

#7: Re: Pictures of 88mm Flak 18 in Romanian Military Museum? Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:52 pm
    ----
Doug,
Yes that is the gun I'm looking for.
Massimo,
Excellent photos- thank you very much!
I'm specifically looking for Flak 18 shots as they seem to be a bit thinner on the ground than the Flak 36 and 37's, especially with respect to the sdh 201 wheeled gun carriage.
Would gladly accept any additional photos you may have and I'd reciprocate with any photos I may have of vehicles/artillery that you're looking for in North America.

Many thanks!
Cheers!
Bruce

#8: Re: Pictures of 88mm Flak 18 in Romanian Military Museum? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:07 pm
    ----
I checked my archive and indeed I don't have additional pictures.
As far as I know there is a Flak 18 in Overloon, maybe somebody else may help.

Massimo

#9: Re: Pictures of 88mm Flak 18 in Romanian Military Museum? Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:57 pm
    ----
Massimo in Overloon there is no Flak 18
They have 3 x 88 Flak
1 is a Flak 37 and the other 2 are hybrids ( Flak 37 with a barrel from Flak 18 )

Beside the Flak 18 in Bucarest I know of 10 more Flak 18

Walter

#10: Re: Pictures of 88mm Flak 18 in Romanian Military Museum? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:30 am
    ----
Thanks for the clarification Walter.

Would you mind listing the other Flak 18 you are aware of?

Massimo

#11: Re: Pictures of 88mm Flak 18 in Romanian Military Museum? Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:57 pm
    ----
Here they are

* Army Museum La Coruna
* Base Naval Ushuaia
* Castell Mont Juic Barcelona
* El Alamein
* Mar del Plata Argentina
* Monte Carmelo
* Monument Fallen Brasilian Soldiers
* Museo Naval de la nacion Argentina
* Museu Militar Conde des Linhares
* Patriotic War Museum Vukovar
* Puerto de Ingeniero White Argentina

#12: Re: Pictures of 88mm Flak 18 in Romanian Military Museum? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:04 pm
    ----
Thanks for the list Walter.

The Military Museum on Castell Mont Juic in Barcelona is closed since a few years. I was there in 2012 and the Museum was already closed since a year or two, maybe more.
I have no idea where the collection is now.

They still have some pretty cool anti-ship guns, but nothing more:
www.flickr.com/photos/...027004555/

Massimo

#13: Re: Pictures of 88mm Flak 18 in Romanian Military Museum? Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:28 pm
    ----
Thanks Walter,

I knew of one or two in Spain but didn't realize as many made it to South America.

Any photos of those guns- especially the gun carriage?

Bruce

#14: Re: Pictures of 88mm Flak 18 in Romanian Military Museum? Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:58 pm
    ----
Have send you an email Bruce.

Walter

#15: Re: Pictures of 88mm Flak 18 in Romanian Military Museum? Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:25 pm
    ----
Walter- Excellent info as usual, many thanks!

Doug,

I looked at the 2 88's I'm most familiar with for signs of breech hammer marks and came up wanting.
The CWM Flak 36 has a new or at least refurbished breech block so that may speak for no evidence of marks.
The Flak 36 at Royal Military College in Kingston however has had little but paint added to it over the years and it doesn't show signs of marks on the breech block.
Sorry.
Bruce

-> AFV News Discussion Board