Saving Willie: Aberdeen mainstay finds its way back
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Saving Willie: Aberdeen mainstay finds its way back Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:28 pm
    ----
www.ftleetraveller.com...286ce.html

This is MCV176, acquired by the museum from Ordnance Proof Service in 1944
smg.photobucket.com/us...amp;page=1

I didnt know it was once at the Marine Barracks at APG - didnt know there was such a building, and never saw it there. I only remember it at the Convoy Road storage lot.

Neil

#2: Re: Saving Willie: Aberdeen mainstay finds its way back Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:34 pm
    ----
Fort Knox Marines

#3: Re: Saving Willie: Aberdeen mainstay finds its way back Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:56 pm
    ----
There was a USMC building and vehicles(LAV's, M60A3 Tanks, etc.) to train with at APG years ago. The LVT4 was on the "mile of tanks" road (Maryland Blvd) for awhile too. I did not ever see the vehicle at this building, but I wasn't there much from 1994 to about 2008. Rick

#4: Re: Saving Willie: Aberdeen mainstay finds its way back Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:07 am
    ----
- armyjunk2
Fort Knox Marines

When I visited in '06, they were housed in Disney Barracks (affectionately known to most former residents as "Disneyland") where I was for AIT and one of the motor parks they were using for LAV training was Potts, which we used for our M-48's back in the day (it being a short march from Disneyland). I visited Don during Memorial Day weekend and one lone Marine was doing yard maintenance around Disney....he must have effed up REAL bad to pull that duty on a holiday weekend when the post was largely empty.

#5: Re: Saving Willie: Aberdeen mainstay finds its way back Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:50 am
    ----
I can't remember ever seeing it at Aberdeen before they collected everything preparing for the move. There was a Marine detachment at Aberdeen. Dr Atwater used to get them for 'projects ' from time to time. I remember one time I was driving back to the Museum from the warehouse about lunchtime. There were two platoon size groups moving along the road. One was in perfect step, Guidon out front, platoon leader calling cadence and every boot hitting the ground at the same time. The other was more of a gaggle, almost in lines and rows. Describing their step as route step would be genrous to the command 'route step'

Can you guess which one was the Marines and which one was the Air Force?

#6: Re: Saving Willie: Aberdeen mainstay finds its way back Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:26 pm
    ----
- bsmart
I can't remember ever seeing it at Aberdeen before they collected everything preparing for the move. There was a Marine detachment at Aberdeen. Dr Atwater used to get them for 'projects ' from time to time. I remember one time I was driving back to the Museum from the warehouse about lunchtime. There were two platoon size groups moving along the road. One was in perfect step, Guidon out front, platoon leader calling cadence and every boot hitting the ground at the same time. The other was more of a gaggle, almost in lines and rows. Describing their step as route step would be genrous to the command 'route step'

Can you guess which one was the Marines and which one was the Air Force?

Laughing

Wheels

-> AFV News Discussion Board