Sources in Hunnicutt books
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Sources in Hunnicutt books Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:05 am
    ----
I am very impressed with Hunnicutt's books as we all are but the one thing I do not like about them is the lack of sources on each page. I have looked in the AFV book for any sources of photos with no luck. Are they in the book somewhere and I just missed them?

Thanks

#2: Re: Sources in Hunnicutt books Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:46 am
    ----
I think the sources are the National Archives (Signal corps photos, tests reports etc..) and the various technical manuals... Joe DeMarco also used the National Archives as his main source for the website the.shadock.free.fr/sh...n_minutia/

#3: Re: Sources in Hunnicutt books Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:26 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
I think the sources are the National Archives (Signal corps photos, tests reports etc..) and the various technical manuals... Joe DeMarco also used the National Archives as his main source for the website the.shadock.free.fr/sh...n_minutia/

Any number of authors doing exhaustive work decline to post sources in the body of the work because it would be tedious for both the reader and the publisher and would make the work unwieldy and hideously long. (Same for footnotes). Some that use the approach of listing major sources only at the back of their work and as a guide for further suggested reading. As it happens, I'v been reading a bunch of stuff on WWI surface naval warfare and most list primarily the Bundesarchiv and a fairly limited number of publications, again for considerations of space.

Before the BRAC move and relocation of the stacks from Davis Library, Patton Museum, this was the "Hunnicutt stack" where most of his background material was located. The reasons for not listing it in his books becomes painfully obvious. I could have spent a week just poring over these and hardly made a dent. There are whole books worth of research on German and Russian armor that will never get written just based on what's contained herein. Sad

#4: Re: Sources in Hunnicutt books Author: silviop15 PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:08 pm
    ----
WOW, yeah understood thanks.

-> AFV News Discussion Board