Sad news about a fallen comrade
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#1: Sad news about a fallen comrade Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:09 am
    ----
Please forgive the sad news, there is no other way to approach this:

I just received notification that our own Jeff Lewis, aka "piney" here at Com-Central, passed away earlier this month. This came via an email from his wife, who along with their daughters is dealing with the shock of the unexpected loss. She had answered an email I recently sent following up on how he was doing, as he hasn't been seen here since earlier this month and usually he is quite prolific.

His wife is in the process now of going through his email contacts trying to notify his "cyber friends" so perhaps some of you have received similar news, but I told her I would pass this along if that made her job easier.

This is a tough one. Jeff was obviously a great guy, friendly and always sending PM's about new releases, sceneries, etc. He quite clearly loved his hobby and the group here, and brought a lot of his personality to the table by way of his posts and contributions to all.

I'll stop now and raise a beer glass to the man, and give thanks for the time he spent with us, and hoping we also didn't take too much time away from what sounds like a lovely family that he had. I'm sure they're in all our thoughts as well right now.

All the best,

Erich

#2: Re: Sad news about a fallen comrade Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:49 am
    ----
Sad news indeed. I have posted a notice and link to this post in the AFV Forum to which Jeff occasionally contributed. His loss will be sorely felt in the numerous forums to which he contributed.

I move his unofficial JG300 member status be upgraded to official and his name(s) inscribed on the wall of honor. Please update us on other info as it might make itself available. I don't want to burden the family with another email and as you have already had that contact, will leave that to you.

#3: Re: Sad news about a fallen comrade Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:32 pm
    ----
Dammit, he was so good at keeping the Skwirrel in check. Got to go, got dust in my eyes.

#4: Re: Sad news about a fallen comrade Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:10 pm
    ----
Stoopy, Sorry to hear about Jeff. Please send My condolences to his family. His contributions to all of these forums will be missed. Rick

#5: Re: Sad news about a fallen comrade Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:51 pm
    ----
Rick, Tanklord, I certainly agree and thank you for sharing your thoughts. Ascout, consider your motion seconded and I'll work on that.

I should also add that Jeff used a second username here, Freiherr_Kiefer (Baron of the Pines), to post screenshots of his flying activities and many repaints. He posted so many in fact that there is a backlog that will extend through most of the month of May given the current rotation. So we are given a unique opportunity to appreciate his last contributions and say goodbye to him in a way over the coming weeks.

If I hear anything else from his wife I will certainly pass it along, I'll let them know he is remembered here and who knows maybe they might like to see some of his screenshot art that he left behind.

Respectfully,
Erich

#6: Re: Sad news about a fallen comrade Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:31 pm
    ----
Considering a few things, I've made a change to the Picture Of The Day scheduling.

Jeff saw seen fit to leave us with a generous number of screenshots in the queue for future scheduling as Picture Of The Day here. Rather than leave them intermingled in the rotation to share billing with the other two members in the queue (Hans Siskens and myself) it seems only appropriate to move them up and dedicate the Picture Of The Day series to Jeff for the balance of his backlog, in celebration of the man, his contributions, enjoyment of the hobby and obvious fascination with flight.

With the number of his screenshots still left on hand, this tribute will last through May 9.

I am going to let his family know and send a link, just in case they may want to see some of his ongoing contributions he'd left here.

Thank you and best regards,
Erich

#7: Re: Sad news about a fallen comrade Author: RCAF_WingnutLocation: Omaha, Ne. PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:00 am
    ----
I know I will miss Jeff's posts. I always enjoyed how he got the Shady riled up and on a roll. My condolences go out to his friends and family.

#8: Re: Sad news about a fallen comrade Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:13 am
    ----
Sorry to hear this. Condolences to his family.

#9: Re: Sad news about a fallen comrade Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:52 am
    ----
It is strange how words on a page can convey character and personalities.
We form virtual relationships just with someone's thoughts on much easier terms than we might in person.
At times like these we remember our humanity and that of others.
The loss of my official C-C sparring partner is indeed sad news and greeted with equal sadness and respect.
Wish I could have had the opportunity to meet the sob in the old CFS1 skies above Europe.

¤§¤mutches you old forest-dweller.
(Keep your hands off my acorns!)

#10: Re: Sad news about a fallen comrade Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:05 am
    ----
-S-

Sorry to hear the news..."Blue Skys" Piney..rip..

Hammer Smile Cool Smile Cool Smile

#11: Re: Sad news about a fallen comrade Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:54 pm
    ----
Always a very sad day when you learn that one of your forum comrades has fallen. My condolences to his family on their loss.

Wheels

#12: Re: Sad news about a fallen comrade Author: siskensLocation: The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:50 pm
    ----
coming home from a holiday - opening the CC-mail and reading the shattering news of the loss of a fellow "screenie-maker" with whom I had so many wonderful contacts about interesting new planes and sceneries and more...... Oh, how I will miss him. My thoughts are with his family who have to deal with this horrible loss. . No words left, gazing at my screen - his pictures - his comments - his joy..............

#13: Re: Sad news about a fallen comrade Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:59 pm
    ----
I am so sorry to hear this RIP Piney.

#14: Re: Sad news about a fallen comrade Author: SnorreLocation: Ziegenhain, Germany PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:59 pm
    ----
Very sorry to hear that sad news. My condolences to his family, I will certainly miss his screenshots and him dealing with the tree rat..

#15: Re: Sad news about a fallen comrade Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:35 pm
    ----
He maintained a FB page which is still up...some folks are still leaving comments monoitored by family.

-> Officer's Club