Updated Map/GPX/Excel Files for AFV Register V4
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Updated Map/GPX/Excel Files for AFV Register V4 Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:33 pm
    ----
Hi All,

I’ve updated my USA State-by-State Google Map/Garmin GPS (GPX)/EXCEL USA State AFV files (graciously hosted on Michel van Loon’s Site) to reflect the changes/additions in the latest update to the USA AFV Register.

This time, I’ve included a README file in each folder with suggested uses, disclaimers, and notations on methodology.

For my needs/wants/uses of the files:

I’ve loaded all 51 GPX files into my Garmin GPS unit and have access to the latest locations and information of nearly every AFV Location in the USA at my fingertips. I can search AFV locations near any city I’m traveling to OR search locations nearby wherever I happen to be. Very cool!

I have uploaded all 51 KMZ files to my Google account and can search the maps at home on my computer to plan “Tank Runs” or to see what might be near my latest travel destination. I can log onto the account on my smartphone while traveling and see AFV locations near my current location. Very cool. Once uploaded to your own Google account, edit them to your choosing and customize them to fit your own needs. The process is simpler than you might think.

I’ve included the EXCEL files that I used to generate the maps on Google Maps site or in the Google Earth application so that folks can create there own custom AFV maps or databases or whatever. Feel free to download them and edit them to fit your needs.

I can’t promise to keep the files updated past their current iteration, but as they stand now are very useful tools for AFV fans and traveling folks.

LINK:
afvregister.org/Download.aspx

Enjoy!

#2: Re: Updated Map/GPX/Excel Files for AFV Register V4 Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:49 pm
    ----
Paul,
Great job! Thanks for your hard work with the list. I'll use it in my travels. Rick

#3: Re: Updated Map/GPX/Excel Files for AFV Register V4 Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:21 pm
    ----
The Google Earth files are really fun, I've already killed a couple hours surfing around looking at various locations. I do have a couple corrections regarding the vehicles in the Grand Rapids MI area. The vehicle listed as an M60A0 in Wyoming MI is actually a far more interesting vehicle, a M43 8 inch howitzer SPG. Also, the list does not include the M60A3 and M48A2 sitting in front of the Grand Valley Armory on 44th st. 42°53'02.47" N 85°41'34.77" W

Thanks!

#4: Re: Updated Map/GPX/Excel Files for AFV Register V4 Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:55 am
    ----
Walter,

Hmmm... not sure which version of the Google AFV maps you are looking at....

Is your map listed as 2016 Michigan AFVs?

Below is a screen capture of the 2016 Michigan AFV Map file that I made for Google Maps. I have the M43 listed at the Wyoming location and purposely took the M60A0 listing off as we have been to the location and saw no sign of an M60A0. I also included the M60A3 & M48 located at the armory as well - you can see their listing on the left.

#5: Re: Updated Map/GPX/Excel Files for AFV Register V4 Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:59 am
    ----
Wow - that image is really hard to read!

Here are closeups of what I mentioned in the previous post -

#6: Re: Updated Map/GPX/Excel Files for AFV Register V4 Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:04 am
    ----
Here's a screenshot of Google Earth with the 2016 Michigan AFVs file loaded.

#7: Re: Updated Map/GPX/Excel Files for AFV Register V4 Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:55 am
    ----
Opps, I was looking at the google maps file for World AFVs, not the one for the US. My bad.

#8: Re: Updated Map/GPX/Excel Files for AFV Register V4 Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:04 pm
    ----
I used these files in Google Maps to help plan my tank hunting around Florida - very neat, thanks Vagabond!

#9: Re: Updated Map/GPX/Excel Files for AFV Register V4 Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:12 am
    ----
Great to hear they were of use!!

I appreciate the feedback, Trevor!

-> AFV News Discussion Board