Booooo! PC got fritz'd in a storm.
-> Hardware

#1: Booooo! PC got fritz'd in a storm. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:57 am
    ----
So, I've built all but one of my PC's and want to again.
But, I built this one in 2010 and I haven't kept up in any way shape or form.
Currently typing this on a GOD-AWFUL shop-bought laptop from when I had my business a few years ago.

Current rig is in my sig.
I want to re-cycle some components which fit my requirements nd I'm expecting to be worth salvaging and re-using:-

GPU
RAM
SoundBlaster (open to suggestion as it must be 15 years old and I will be using DAW's).
I don't game anymore but still want a high spec' machine I can overload and don't have to wait for.
This one won't be cooked.

I think the PSU is fried, so that's gone.
Could be the mobo though/as well.
Either way, they and the CPU are outdated and I'll scrap 'em.
Keeping the HDD to copy from.
Case is old too now and will also go.

Okay; component/combo suggestions for me to start research/consider please.
Aaaaaand begin.

#2: Re: Booooo! PC got fritz'd in a storm. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:52 pm
    ----
Never mind guys.
I customised a pre-buil system as a DAW.
Spent a lot more on audio hardware than I was intending and now I can't wait to hear it.
Should be next to zero lag!
Only thing that survived is my old AGP and speakers.

#3: Re: Booooo! PC got fritz'd in a storm. Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:04 pm
    ----
Hi Shades!

It's been my experience that once it's been fried by lightning, it ALL needs to go...lol

Good choice on a pre-built w/customization though, as it's getting hard to build one with the same specs for the money... Wink

#4: Re: Booooo! PC got fritz'd in a storm. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:13 pm
    ----
Bushypops!!!
IT LIVES!!!
Wink
How ya hangin'?

Yeah, I think I'm prolly being a bit optimistic on the GPU, fingers crossed though.
If it's knackered I'll buy a new one and install t meself.

I sooooo didn't go for the same specs.
Heheheheh.
Been investing me lil skwirrell pension and decided to dip into some of me acorn profits (hence having someone else do the work, lol)

Just saw some of the initial test results.
Bearing in mind I designed this one to focus on audio performance (DAW), the longest live response (latency) observed during all the testing was 0.097ms.
That's around 1000 times faster than the last one. Laughing
I now have an i9 running at 4.9MHz with 2 x 32GB of 2666MHz RAM (twice what I had before).
2 x SSD's (one to boot but the storage drive is SSD in this monster too. LOL!)
Arriving Wednesday, I'm hoping I can get it all up and running by some time this weekend.
Next... studio monitor speakers.

Ohhhh, if only I was still gaming.
Wink

#5: Re: Booooo! PC got fritz'd in a storm. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:16 pm
    ----
Okay.
Which of you bastids hid the box for my GEFORCE GTX650Ti PCI-e?
Why does all this crap clutter up yer house fer years and then, the moment ya actually want it...!

#6: Re: Booooo! PC got fritz'd in a storm. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:52 am
    ----
OMG!
I've only just started configuring it and getting rid of all the manufacturer's 'bloat', but this thing is quick.
15 seconds from power on to full Windows10 and 8 of those are on the post screen!
(Haven't tried to change any of that yet - haven't even put my own graphic and audio cards in yet!).
If only I were still a gamer.
Lolol.

#7: Re: Booooo! PC got fritz'd in a storm. Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:05 am
    ----
WOW!!!

It's about time hardware caught up to software ... LOL

Getting rid of all the Win bloat doesn't hurt either...

I "rebuilt" mine about 2 years ago and yep, games do run smoother on new hardware... Wink Going back to older single or double CPU computers make you 'tap your fingers' waiting on programs to load and yes, we're spoiled...LOL

Nice to hear it's going well!!!

#8: Re: Booooo! PC got fritz'd in a storm. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:12 am
    ----
Thx Bushy.
Designed as an audio editing PC.
It's as quiet as a whisper (sound-proofed interior).

Tried the on-board audio out yesterday.
The old Edirol PCR-M50 kb wouldn't work under Windows 10 drivers because the pre-upgrade compatability test assured me they would. Obviously that automatically deletes them all after Win10 is actually installed, heheheh.
Got n M-Audio Code61 (most childish-lookin' kb I ever did see, lolol).
I can't even hear the latency delay.
It's just instant to my ears, which is way more than I was expecting.

Was going to post some system test results, but PhotoBucket seems to want my money nowadays and that doesn't fit in with the "Bshwckr retirement savings plan" philosophy.

#9: Re: Booooo! PC got fritz'd in a storm. Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:32 pm
    ----
ROFL...

Yep!!! I know what you mean!!!

Been doing a lot of music these days playing at nursing homes. I haven't recorded anything, but we're sure having a time doing it...

Glad the new PC is working out though, it's nice when you get better results than you expect...

-> Hardware