M48A2 External Stowage, For Andrei
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M48A2 External Stowage, For Andrei Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:18 pm
    ----
After searching through my library, I found the following images and information,

Item 1 is the fuel transfer pump. In the M48/48A1 it was stowed inside the hull engine compartment. It was issued with a canvas cover. The fuel transfer hoses were stored in the right front stowage box, Item 2. The images below show the components and also it stowed without the cover.

Item 3 is where the track fixtures or "Track Jacks" were stored. The canvas cover was deleted from the kit not long after the M48A2 was put into production. In the images below you can see them stowed behind the fuel transfer pump without a canvas cover. I've included pictures of the track jacks. These were called Manual Track Jacks, since they had an internal ratchet mechanism. Power Track Jacks had a 3/4" square drive where the crew could use either the ratchet from the tool bag or a 3/4" drive impact wrench.

Item 4 are the grill covers, These covers were carried inside the stowage box of the M48/48A1. With the M48A2 they had made a large cover for the rear grills and two covers for the top intake grills. These covers did not stay long in the inventory and were no longer carried in the BII listing by 1959. The image below shows the stowage location and them in use. Found these in a draft document which was to supersede TC 17-5.

As far as the items with the question mark goes, I have not found any definitive answer. I do believe these locations were originally designated/used to stow the canvas muzzle cover for the "Y' or "T" shaped muzzles and for the breech cover which also was made of canvas. I have also seen this location used for the 5 gallon refillable oil cans, but no official listing of that use.

#2: Re: M48A2 External Stowage, For Andrei Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:13 pm
    ----
Good job, Joe!

#3: Re: M48A2 External Stowage, For Andrei Author: Andrei PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:36 pm
    ----
That is great! Thank you so much!

-> AFV News Discussion Board