Notice anything new?
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#1: Notice anything new? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:44 am
    ----
*Snickering* Of course you did!!! How do you like the updated CC?

Comments are welcome...

#2: Re: Notice anything new? Author: SS_Harry PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:18 pm
    ----
As with anychange ... it's going to take time to get used to.

It's a nice style. but not sure if I like it yet Wink

#3: Re: Notice anything new? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:19 pm
    ----
I like it very much!!!!!!!!!

Here is some feedback on possible tweaks to consider:

1) Could the color scheme for sections with new posts be altered? By this I mean, when looking at the top-level forums list, we see dark red buttons by defualt, and dark green buttons for sections with new posts. Doesn't "pop" like it used to, so you have to scan harder, which negates the function somewhat. Some brighter color perhaps?

2) I understand, fully, taking away the guest capability to post new threads, but, at the same time, could it be possible for guests to at least view the forums? I ask because, before logging in, I clicked a link to a new thread listed in the scrolling window of the home/news page (on the right), and was denied, but just wanted to read it, not post. Maybe it works going through another route, but that path is blocked.

3) The "Forums" link on the left menu used to say "Community Forums" and now says "Forums" so I was thrown for a bit doing a double-take looking for a familiar (and often-used) link, perhaps renaming it to the old name would help others feel more comfortable with the transition as well.

VERY NICE WORK OVERALL however and we piggies THANK YOU for your time and effort, Bush and Staff!!!!

OooO! I see new buttons to use when writing something too.....hmmmm!!!!

#4: Re: Notice anything new? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:07 pm
    ----
1) Yep, we decided to try something new for the icons. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but I agree and we've been discussing using a dark blue/bright blue set of buttons, but suggestions are encouraged..:D

2) Yes on the forum permissions. This is a last ditch effort to keep the 'crapheads' from posting bad threads. We've discussed the permissions setting to allow the public to "see" the posts but can't post or answer unless they're a member.

3) Already did it... I just got the site changed over when you and Harry hit the boards...lol I was still 'tweaking'... Wink

The "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of the forums is an outstanding feature in my opinion and thanks for the compliments and concerns, we appreciate all of them..

#5: Re: Notice anything new? Author: SS_Harry PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:19 pm
    ----
The picture at the bottom of the forums ... took me a while to work out what it was as it's so light it just looks like a smudge.

#6: Re: Notice anything new? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:25 pm
    ----
Yep, we did some testing with some different levels of background pics and ended up with this one. We had to edit the transparency to our liking and being a CSS file, it uses that same pic throughout the site. It'll grow on ya I think..:D

I've reset the file permissions on the boards as well as made the link 'visible' to the non registered members. You'll still have to be registered to post however... Wink

I also made some new forums visible that weren't visible in the past.

#7: Re: Notice anything new? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:15 pm
    ----
Wow!!!!!!! Talk about FAST service!! What a crew they got runnin here.....

Have just one other observation........there's some icon or something, looks like a minus sign in a box, throwing off how the panes line up toward the upper part of the screen. Get tons of white space, and the best way to illustrate it is with this screenie...don't know if it's happening for anyone else.

I overlayed the "Help...About" box so you can see my browser info (yes I know, not Firefox, but some of us have to use what we have to use...)

#8: Re: Notice anything new? Author: XcalibeR PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:25 pm
    ----
Just one question... Does the log in on the left side log you into everything now? I couldn't find the log in button for the forums as a guest, but I logged on on the left, and it signed me in to the forums too. Just wondering if that was site wide.

#9: Re: Notice anything new? Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:49 pm
    ----
Yep logging into the left menu will log you into the forums and everything else. Unless your an admin.

#10: Re: Notice anything new? Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:50 pm
    ----
Stoopy the minus sign on the left and right lets you close and open the menus try closing them and a + will show up and that may line things up better.

#11: Re: Notice anything new? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:52 pm
    ----
Looks nice Bushy.
Like the new buttons. I would agree mebbe having dark ones for old and bright for new "waiting-to-be-viewed" threads / posts though.
One thing...
When I logged in they were all dark red, despite this thread not having been here the last time I logged in.

Re access. If it's any help, we have 3 areas and levels of access in the EURO forums:-

Access level 1 = anyone can view this area whether they are registered to the forum or not
Access level 2 = same area but only registered forum members can contribute.
Access level 3 = only registered EURO officers can view / contribute to this area.

We found that by splitting levels 1 & 2 we can monitor contributions and censor their contributors by registration and IP. So far we have not had the need to do so but, if we ever do, it will be a really simple matter.

[edit: just noticed something else, the header logo is only as wide as the default page size. Maybe stretch it into the background, or have it repeat as necessary in a CSS file?)

Last edited by Shades on Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

#12: Re: Notice anything new? Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:54 pm
    ----
Also I will be working on the colored buttons as soon as I get home tonite. And a few other things. And I can be on TS if some of you wanna talk about suggestions.

#13: Re: Notice anything new? Author: 401RCAF_Sly PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 pm
    ----
Great Job Bushy and the team !!
Early christmas pressie for us all

Sly

#14: Re: Notice anything new? Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:58 pm
    ----
Shocked Whew, what a relief!

Thought all those drugs were coming back to haunt me.

#15: Re: Notice anything new? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:31 pm
    ----
You too huh fr8ycat???

- RCAF_MadDog
Stoopy the minus sign on the left and right lets you close and open the menus try closing them and a + will show up and that may line things up better.

Thanks Maddog - I tried that, and see that they are content controls that turn the little side-boxes on the left or right off. That's not the issue.

When the littel side-content boxes are on, they apparently are centered vertically, in relation to the full top-to-bottom-length of the main center page. So, on a long page, like the forums or news section, wht's happeneing is they are centered about hal;fway down, so you have to scroll quite a ways down and have a lot of white space that doesn't look right until you do.

They used to be top-justified so they always aligned at the top and it looked natural.

If I turn the controls off, of course that fixes the problem but you loose all that cool stuff on the side that comes in so doggone handy.

Thanks!

-> Officer's Club