I am having a problem with this site locking up.
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Software

#1: I am having a problem with this site locking up. Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:43 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

I am one of George Bradford's treadheads that has just joined all of you here Com-Central. Smile

My home computer is locking up when I come to this site. (I am at work and this post is coming from the boss's PC) Crying or Very sad

I have read all the posts in this forum and have made a few notes. Hopefully one of the ideas I picked up with help me correct my home PC. Confused

I was just wondering if any of you all have ever ran into anything like this?

I am running Windows XP, AOL 9.0 Security Edition SE with AOL Safety and Security Center.

Thank you!
Roy A. Lingle, Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: I am having a problem with this site locking up. Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:13 am
    ----
Shocked

Roy,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems visiting our lil place on the web, and I bashed me top to think of what could be the culprit for that.

I use IE 6.0 and have pop ups blocked and Avast firewall and Virusscanner running and don't have any troubles at all, also other members just for the argument use FireFox and also are not having problems, at least not that I'm aware of.

Wich version or type of browser are you using ?
Do you have the latest updates installed?

Maybe supurflues but I have to ask this as just recently M$ has released a number of patches dealing with security issues.

rgds
fled

#3: Re: I am having a problem with this site locking up. Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:25 am
    ----
Hi Uhu!

"Wich version or type of browser are you using ?"

I maybe wrong, but I was thinking the AOL 9.0 Sec. Ed. SE was the browser.

"Do you have the latest updates installed?"

As far as I know. I use the automatic notices settings so I know something new is available.

I was thinking maybe I have something turned on that is blocking this site.

I have been looking around, but I don't really know what I am looking 99% of the time.

Thanks for your responce and questions Uhu.
Roy A Lingle Sgt Scouts Out!

#4: Re: I am having a problem with this site locking up. Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:38 am
    ----

Roy,

Sorry that I have missed out on the AOL line.

I must admit that I do not have any knowledge of AOL or related items, maybe someone else can help you out there.

fled

#5: Re: I am having a problem with this site locking up. Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:35 pm
    ----
HIya Roy!

What is your boss running for a browser and OS?

Did you try a different browser and/or computer from home?

#6: Re: I am having a problem with this site locking up. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:06 pm
    ----
I'm really pleased that Roy found his way over to this page to post his question....I was gonna' suggest coming here over on the old forum, but he beat me to it!

I'm getting two kinds of reports from those who try to login. First and most numerous are the kind Roy describes. The guys who are answering here are better qualified to answer those...

Second are the ones who's IT masters block access to this site altogether...and there are a few. Mostly government/military sites. I've replied, where possible, via email to the ones who post at the old forum and while regrettable, they understand and hope to join us when they get to a less "structured" environment.

MAYBE, at some point, we could investigate the "web hosting" option if it would help. I'm a little concerned that everything would pipe over seamlessly and of any further "shock" to the members in having to do more complex registration and similar steps. Also, I have no idea how to set up such a site so this is a more expedient and practical solution for now.

Have a look over at the old forum...I'm refraining from deleting the spam for a while, since not everybody seems to have gleaned what we were up against...

#7: Re: I am having a problem with this site locking up. Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:12 pm
    ----
I'm wondering why the Gov agencies are blocking access? It could be they block Cookies? Or how about PHP in general?

#8: Re: I am having a problem with this site locking up. Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:40 pm
    ----
Is there a common theme to this ?

Of the people who can't get access, are they all using/running a common piece of software ?

Examples...

AOL Browsers
Norton AV
Particular pop-up blockers

It just seems a little unbelievable that the IP would be 'blocked'

In Roy's case, he couldn't get access from home but yet he could gain access from 'work', work being what? a military establishment...if that is the case then I doubt the IP is blocked.

I'm betting that it's an AOL issue (total stab in the dark)

#9: Re: I am having a problem with this site locking up. Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:43 pm
    ----
I was also wondering if AOL was the reason, and that's the reason for the "Can you log in from another machine at home" or "Did you try another browser" questions. Wink

#10: Re: I am having a problem with this site locking up. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:45 pm
    ----
- Shadow_Bshwackr
I'm wondering why the Gov agencies are blocking access? It could be they block Cookies? Or how about PHP in general?

A member at the old forum (who shall remain anonymous...as if the NSA doesn't already know Rolling Eyes ) emailed me the following:

"I can't speak of why others can't get on but in my case I am using a LAN
that is run by the Army Reserve (I'm active attached to them). It might
depend on the installation/organization Information Management Officer and
what addresses/sites he either deams as obscene/unauthorized or may cause undue traffic on his network. Most military LANS block e-bay for that
reason. They don't want soldiers conducting business during duty hours. When I click on the new forum I get the standard "This site is not authorized" from the system administrator. I believe that I'm being blocked because the site is part of your flight simulator association. The Military doesn't like their LAN tied up with soldiers playing flight simulators or similar sites.
I'm no computer whiz but if there was a way the make the address not reflect the flight simulator association it might allow access. But that's just a
guess.
I plan to register on the new site as soon as possible. So until then I'm
really gonna miss you guys."

#11: Re: I am having a problem with this site locking up. Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:53 pm
    ----
That says exactly what the problem is...

This begs the question, why should Com-Central be picked out as a blocked site...

Could be the domain name...Not so much in itself but just caught in a wide 'net' of similar names...

Could be the incident with the Major's sheep...But I thought that was settled out of court... Mr. Green

#12: Re: I am having a problem with this site locking up. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:07 pm
    ----
- Kitform
That says exactly what the problem is...

This begs the question, why should Com-Central be picked out as a blocked site...

Could be the domain name...Not so much in itself but just caught in a wide 'net' of similar names...

Could be the incident with the Major's sheep...But I thought that was settled out of court... Mr. Green

...or arbitrariness...or based on registered search terms or something.
In my travels, I've been surprized at some of the sites that were blocked from service in the business center of hotels and airports. Some fairly innocuous sites were blocked with a note from the server admins.
I don't think it's traffic, I think it's some "identifier" like search terms that will get you there, or even just the sound of the website name. "Com-Cental" seems like a fairly generic and harmless site name, to me....

#13: Re: I am having a problem with this site locking up. Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:14 pm
    ----
The blocking may be more of a question of what's allowed or not. In some IT situations, you have the option as a system admin to allow certain IP's only thereby disallowing all others. A lot of 'closed' systems like that around and for two main reasons. Security and Bandwidth savings.

If you're not allowed into CC, you may want to ask your system admin for special privledge....or maybe not..depending on how well he/she knows you...lol

If it's an AOL issue, which BTW AOL is on this big Security push at the moment, there may be a setting at AOL or the AOL browser that will allow the CC IP. Wink

#14: Re: I am having a problem with this site locking up. Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:13 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Thanks for all the help. Smile
I have been sick for the last few days and at home where I can not get on yet. Sad

For those folks who don't know me, I work for the U.S. Border Patrol which is now part of the DHS. I am a radio/camera operator and have been working the midnight shift for a little over ten years now. We are allowed to surf the net as long as we stop and answer the radio or telephone when someone calls us. The boss's PC uses Microsoft Internet Explorer. Confused

I was talking with AOL Help yesterday and the tech is thinking that something called the 'AOL Adapter' has been corrupted. He gave me list of things to check and possible adjust. Will let you all know if anything helps as soon as I have time to set down and fight with it.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#15: Re: I am having a problem with this site locking up. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:10 pm
    ----
I was getting worried about you, Roy....good to hear from you!

-> Software