A little to close for comfort...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: A little to close for comfort... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:04 am
    ----
[img][/img]
What kind of tanks are these? Found this while "Googleing". Someone wasn't staying "in their lane".

#2: Re: A little to close for comfort... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:53 am
    ----
Jeff,

those are Challengers at BATUS in Canada.

Cheers,

Jens O.

#3: Re: A little to close for comfort... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:09 am
    ----
On the subject of make the caption....

" DATELINE, UK:
The 'Challangers' of ' Batus' proudly announce that Mrs Challanger is expecting the arrival of 'baby Warrior' in the next 6 months. The mother is doing well, besides the all too common effects of early pregnancy. GOOD LUCK CHALLANGERs, and congratulations!!"

#4: Re: A little to close for comfort... Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:51 am
    ----
I learned that these tanks (made by the British) have hot water available at all times for their 'Tea Time'.

Looks like someone mishandled the hot water onto their lap!

#5: Re: A little to close for comfort... Author: tankmodelerLocation: Ontario PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:27 pm
    ----
- JeffStringer
I learned that these tanks (made by the British) have hot water available at all times for their 'Tea Time'.

I note again that frequently Americans make fun of the British custom of frequent cups of tea.

I would love to see how far an American regiment would get with no coffee!

Smile

Tea = Coffee = universal cranial lubricant

Paul

#6: Re: A little to close for comfort... Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:42 pm
    ----
Oh no ... not making fun at all.

I just found it odd of this added to of all things, a tank!

Jeff

#7: Re: A little to close for comfort... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:37 pm
    ----
- tankmodeler
- JeffStringer

I note again that frequently Americans make fun of the British custom of frequent cups of tea.

I would love to see how far an American regiment would get with no coffee!

Paul

Paul,
Just to show you how misunderstood are 'Murican tankers, I offer in evidence that the prevailing attitude in the 2/11th at one time would have been "Coffee, Hell!....we ain't movin' without beer!"

BTW, on days that "Head Shoppe" moved, hot water was readily available...enough for a shower even. Just put that 5 gal. Jerry can over the engine grills and operate the vehicle in the bush a while and "Voila"....hot water.

#8: Re: A little to close for comfort... Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:06 pm
    ----
Likewise, the exhaust manifolds on our "Lowpac" air compressors used to do a decent job of heating MRE's. Just had to avoid overdoing it and melting the plastic.

David

#9: Re: A little to close for comfort... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:12 pm
    ----
- David_Reasoner
Likewise, the exhaust manifolds on our "Lowpac" air compressors used to do a decent job of heating MRE's. Just had to avoid overdoing it and melting the plastic.

David

David,
Our cooking techiques consisted of:
1. Meal, In-flight....none required
2. LRRP dehydrated meals (the MRE of their day). However you could heat the water....C4 was not out of the question.

3. C-Rats, Definitely for C-4 cooking. If no sticks of the stuff were readily available, you could always get some by prying open a Claymore mine and extracting it. One Claymore will heat about 5-6 cans. (I like to picture Julia Childs doing this in the studio....)

#10: Re: A little to close for comfort... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:33 pm
    ----
Actually Julia Childs probably could have done it. Remember she was in OSS during WWII.

Maybe we have a new show for the Food Channel - " Field Eats - The best Cuisine you can make in under 10 minutes with random explosions and other distractions in the background" Would put a whole new meaning in 'Iron Chef'

#11: Re: A little to close for comfort... Author: Al_Bowie PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:11 am
    ----
We had the excellent British Immersion Cookers in our MRV's Scorpion Turrets. It was amazing that we had 14 MRV's in the regiment but at least 30 Immersion Cookers. They were extremely useful devices and I note that the New Aussie Abrams will be getting something similar.
As we used to say" Any fool can be uncomfortable in the bush"
Cheers
Al
Arte et marte

#12: Re: A little to close for comfort... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:38 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

I for one (American Military) always like the idea of a hot water heater in a vehicle like the Brits have. As for how far an American unit can go without coffee, will check out the latest update to field rats. A trooper can now get all the caffine they need in gum. No water, no fire, no stopping, just pop some more gum and kept on rolling.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#13: Re: A little to close for comfort... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:36 pm
    ----
Warming thihgs up in the field has always been relatively easy.

Build a fire, put it near the exhaust, etc all work to make things hot.

The real trick is how do you cool things(a can of soda or beer) down. That's the trick that most folks have a hard time figuring out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board