Abrams version test with a follow up link test.
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Abrams version test with a follow up link test. Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:18 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Ran acrossed this photo over at the the US Army image site. Caption say the vehicle is a M1A1. However if I am halfway current, the flex mount for the M2HB should mean that vehicle is a M1A2.

Just in case the link doesn't work, the photo is at:

www4.army.mil/armyimag...photo=9169

AFV ID Test
Sgt, Scouts Out!

P.S. The link worked during my third try, however the photo was VERY LARGE so I edited out the link. I am slowly learning my way around this place.

Last edited by Roy_A_Lingle on Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:20 am; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: Abrams version test Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:44 am
    ----
Yup, That is indeed an M1A2.

#3: Re: Abrams version test Author: DCCLarke PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:31 pm
    ----
Hey Roy! Can you tell me what's up with the gloves? I understand the face mask because of dust, but wouldn't gloves get in the way of things?

Best,
David

#4: Re: Abrams version test Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:52 pm
    ----
The Nomex gloves are standard issue for Armor Crewman.

They a identicle to flight gloves, issued to flight crew, but green & black instead of the green & gray.

#5: Re: Abrams version test Author: DCCLarke PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:31 pm
    ----
Thanks Dontos!!

Best,
David

#6: Re: Abrams version test Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:58 pm
    ----
- Dontos
The Nomex gloves are standard issue for Armor Crewman.

They a identicle to flight gloves, issued to flight crew, but green & black instead of the green & gray.

They actually don't get in the way. They are pretty close fitting, and they save your hands from a lot of bumps and scrapes that seem to be inevitable around anything military. Equally, the Iraqi sun can heat anything metal so hot that it will take the skin off of your hand. This is especially true for our weapons, which are all black or nearly black.

In the last couple of years, the Army discovered that soldiers wearing the Nomex gloves (which were a popular individual purchase item) suffered fewer burn injuries when attacked by IEDs. While I was there, they actually issued us the sage green gloves to wear. It seems the Army is actually trying to keep us from getting hurt!

C

-> AFV News Discussion Board