M3 seen on return from China Lake
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M3 seen on return from China Lake Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:04 am
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
I was returning from China Lake today when I saw this M3 in front of an antique store right at the 395 and 58 intersection. I didn't ask if it was for sale, or talk to anyone as I was in a hurry to get my boys home. I did snap a few pics and wrote down some numbers, they are as follows;
- Frame serial number was 229110, (front left wheel well)
- MFGRS Ser# 256647 (dash data plate)
- Ord Ser# 4349
Very nice vehicle. Was very clean but I hated seeing the 50 tripod strapped on the rear rusting up. Do these numbers all match or make sense for this vehicle? How about the markings, what do they indicate?

#2: Re: M3 seen on return from China Lake Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:40 am
    ----
THAT is nice!

Don

#3: Re: M3 seen on return from China Lake Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:09 am
    ----
[img][/img]
This was one view that I forgot to post earlier. I have seen how important it can be to some people to see evry angle for proper ID or for use in modeling.

#4: Re: M3 seen on return from China Lake Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:29 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
[img][IMG]

How about the markings, what do they indicate?

Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

Sorry I forgot this one, it was posted during the period I was having problems logging in.

Front bumper markings left end:

1st Armored Division, 2nd Recon Squadron

Right end: A Troop Number 4 vehicle

The '1' inside the yellow star on the sides:

I think that stands for the 1st Platoon.

My 2 cents on those markings. No idea if they are historical correct of not.
Sgt, Scouts Out!
Confused

#5: Re: M3 seen on return from China Lake Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:33 pm
    ----
I believe the yellow stars and 1st Armored Division markings would be consistent for a vehicle during the 1942-43 Tunisian campaign.

David

#6: Re: M3 seen on return from China Lake Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:54 pm
    ----
You'll notice this vehicle has 'truck' wheels as opposed to the fancier combat rims. Also, the rear plate is one piece. That means this was definitely a wartime build, early production White Scout Cars use an initial upper + lower bolted 2 piece rear.

Funny story - I drew the scale plans for this thing for Hunnicutt's 'Armored Car' book some years back. I mailed him artwork for both an early production and late production vehicle. He wrote back something like "Why the hell did you send me two drawings?" and I had to write back and explain - to the great R.P. Hunnicutt himself - detail changes over the Scout Car's production run! Believe me, that's not the usual direction such info flows. The only reason for me knowing anything at all on the subject was an ancient "Whells & Tracks" article I had accidentally stumbled across. So save those old magazines, they may come in handy some day! Smile

#7: Re: M3 seen on return from China Lake Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:10 pm
    ----
- mike_Duplessis
. The only reason for me knowing anything at all on the subject was an ancient "Whells & Tracks" article I had accidentally stumbled across. So save those old magazines, they may come in handy some day! Smile

Yeah, I really miss W+T magazine. It's such a shame that no one could fill Bart Vanderveen's place upon his passing. It was a really great source of info on all military vehicles.

David

#8: Re: M3 seen on return from China Lake Author: timrobertsLocation: shrewsbury UK PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:34 pm
    ----
I have about 50 issues of W&T for sale, but I guess postage would be a lot to Canada & US, as they are for sale in one lot.

-> AFV News Discussion Board